1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iscan questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The Spaniard, Jul 16, 2001.

1. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi guys, I need some help from you clever people! I am possibly going to buy a Sony ht10 and want to know what benefits connecting to an iscan will bring. In particular I want to know will it improve the picture quality from the various sources fed to the projector and so I can appear clever to my friends.... if it does, then how does it do it?

Many thanks

The Spaniard

2. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read something of interest earlier about the iscan output being classed as a computer signal by the projector so it didnt detect the 3:2 pulldown correctly, the article advised using a prog scan dvd player

Mike

3. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I dont know about clever... but here goes...

The Iscan is basically a deinterlacer (although I believe its video processing capabilities do extend beyond that too)... pretty much any source you feed the projector including DVD (with one or two exceptions), PS2, Sky, etc will pass an interlaced picture to the Sony... ie. the picture will be made up from alternating sets of lines...

The Iscan will take the picture and deinterlace it... each line is then passed in sequence to the projector for display... the image is supposed to look more cinematic...

Metric just reminded me... the Iscan also does 3:2 pulldown... which I believe is taking a 25/30fps image coverted for 60Hz PAL back into a straight 25/30fps image.... others on here more knowledgeable than I will put me straight Im sure!

As with most of the recommendations on here I would suggest you try to see one in action! I notice you are listed as Bloxwich, there is a Sound Academy based there and the very generous Chris Frost from elsewhere on this forum demoed an Iscan to myself and a colleague a couple of months ago at Sound Academy...

We both bought one is all I can say!

Good luck and I hope that helps...

Mark.

[ 16-07-2001: Message edited by: MarkT ]

4. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    will it improve the picture from sky, playstation and does it matter that I have a progressive scan dvd player already(pioneer737)? will the progressive scan on my player only work with region 1 discs and if it will, then will adding an iscan improve the picture with both these (region 1 discs) and region 2?

Thanks for the help.

Metric...go and get munsilized!

5. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep... the Iscan will improve the picture from pretty much any source fed to it..

I feed it SkyDigital... Playstation2... DVD.. (from a Pioneer 737)...

One point to note.. the Iscan has to do all the deinterlacing.. so DONT turn on progressive scan from the Pioneer 737.. the whole thing gets messy!

The Iscan will turn any output from the Pioneer into Progressive Scan... both region 1 and region 2... (or any others for that matter)...

Mark.

6. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Mark, thanks again...very helpful. Whats the picture quality like from sky digital as this is my main source of movie fodder although I do get dvds for something special. Have you watched any sport on sky yet and how is that. How much is the iscan and have I wasted my money on the pioneer if the progressive scan is redundant?

Sorry to fire these at you but I better get the most form you while I can. One last question, I was thinking of getting the da-lite da-mat high contast screen. Any comments

Thanks again

Gary :)

7. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    One of the best and unexpected gains I found was that my Davis DLS8 projector would output its complete 800 x 600 native resolution when fed a PAL signal from the iScan Pro. That has to improve things but I wouldnt say that the iScan was a night and day improvement.
    Cheers MikeD

8. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about wasted money... I did exactly the same thing... moved from a Pioneer 717 to 737 then jumped to a HT200 and Iscan! The 717 was excellent so I do feel I probably wasted my money moving to a 737... my fault..

As to Sky digital.. I do think it improves the picture.. I've just got a rented Sony 32inch flat screen and the picture via the Iscan and projector is infinately better.. (I actually think the Sony is faulty but thats another story)... dont watch much sport.. just American football.. and the season doesnt start until September! Sorry..

The Iscan is pricey.. I think its £550 to £750... so I would definately recommend demoing to see if you think its worth it...

The only thing I will say is that the more I watch it the more I think it was worth it...

No knowledge of the dalite screens Im afraid.. will leave that to someone else...

Thinking about it.. I'll have a chat with the g/f upon my return... (Im outta town at the moment) we live in Cannock.. so if she's ameniable I might be able to show you the Iscan myself.. cant promise!! but drop me an email if thats of use and I'll let you know...

Mark.

[ 16-07-2001: Message edited by: MarkT ]

9. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi spaniard if you contact gordon at stereo stereo he is setting up a power buy on the iscan pro i hope this helps

jason

10. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Taht article sure put me in my place......in fact it put me to sleep! But what i did gather......it was suggested that a prog scan dvd player will give a better image that the likes of the iscan. This is entirely down to the internal de-inteerlacer i presume. So question being......is the iscan the top (at reasonable money) or will any prog scan dvd players out do it.....the denon 2800 for examlpe (does it have the iscan chip?).

Just a thought

Adam

12. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    youre welcome.

Not to sure, i wanted to go external prog scan coz of using a 300 disc changer, but should i now buy a prog scan dvd...

i read that the denon uses the silicon image chip so its a good question as this is the player id probably mate with my denon amp.

Mike