1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iscan question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by (GTV)Chris, Jun 20, 2003.

1. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Forgive my newbie-ness here.
    I have an LCD proj running from a HCPC.
    I would like to get the best possible picture fron my TV or SKY onto the screen.
    The Iscan is a little expensive for me, would the cheaper Scan version at £80 be ok.
    Or maybe the best version is to go via my HCPC and use my capture card with Dscaler?
    Your opinions would be greatfully recieved.

Cheers

Chris

2. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The iScan only converts interlaced video (480i and 576i) to progressive video (480p and 576p). The iScan Ultra does have VGA passthrough port which you could connect your PC to.

If memory serves me correct the Scan converter is a line doubler not a de-interlacer and it only works with RF, composite or S-Video. Unless you have Sky+ you don't have S-Video output and will be limited to composite. You could buy a converter for Sky to go from RGB to S-Video.

IMHO You would get a better picture from a capture card. The only problem again is most capture cards work with composite and S-Video and Sky doesn't natively have S-Video.

For more info on de-interlacers, line doublers and converters I would recommend do a search on this forum.

Sal

3. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    good advice, thanks.
    I will probably have to use a sending device to send my SKY+ from the main living room to the back room.
    And yes, it will probably be composite :(
    So, the capture card may be the best and cheapest option for me.

MANY THANKS

Chris.

4. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

There are a couple of Quadscan devices on the Classified forum right now.... at a good price. The QS-HD might be the better option for your display device so have a look at the Focus Enhancements web site.

Make sure they are Ok with pal display devices particularly 2:2 pulldown.

Most line doublers/deinterlacer scalers are from the US, so they don't have inputs for (interlaced) rgb devices (dvd and sky/freeview digiboxes).... they only have component, s, and composite inputs. Since Sky and Freeview boxes don't have a S-video output you'd have to use a rgb to s-video (or component) converter for the best picture.

brian