1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iScan Query

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gmt steve, Nov 25, 2003.

1. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Advice please guys:)

I am thinking of getting a iScan Ultra to use with my Panny PW5. I would be connecting Progressive DVD, Sky+ and S-VHS VCR into it.

Would I be better off using the S-Video from Sky+into the iScan, or will there be a big improvment going RGB - Component via JS Tech box, and then feeding this into the iScan. I currently watch Sky+ via RGB - VGA JS Tech box, but hate losing the Just Mode on the Plasma.
    Any ideas?:smashin:

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have just got a JS Tech RGB-YUV box to go with my Ultra.

I was feeding the ultra s-video from my Sky+ box previously and was getting excellent results.

I have not noticed a huge improvement in PQ. I think that the colours seem stronger and the image is slightly sharper but not a huge difference.

The reason for my upgrade was to simplify my cabling as I now also feed my XBOX, GC and PS2 through the Sky+ box into the same RGB-YUV converter via a SCART switcher.

If I were you I'd see what you think of the PQ via s-video first as you can allways add the adapter later.

BTW why would you want to feed your prog-scan DVD into the Ultra ? I might be wrong but you;d either had to feed it interlaced or use the pass-through connector.

Cheers, Lee

3. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry, I just meant that I currently use the prog output from my Pioneer DV747into the plasma, I realise that it would be conterproductive to feed this output throuugh an iScan.

Apparently the picture via VGA is sharper than via Component, so I'm worried about loosing that. I have tried outputting the S-Vid from Sky+ into my Pioneer VSA-AX10 amp which converts to component, but it is much softer than via VGA. Of course I'm sure that the iScan will do a much better job of the conversion, but that's the reasom for my post really, to get some kind of confirmation. If I output S-Vid from Sky+ directly to the plasma, it is a much noisier picture than via VGA, so that option is out.