1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iscan pro vs quadscan pro..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by museumsteve, May 22, 2002.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    I currently have a Quadscan pro onloan from a friend for a few days and have to say we were blown away once we set things up. I have US Xbox and pioneer 939-A so I've been enjoying PS through my Panny for a few months now but got fed up with unacceptable PAL pictures from DVD, games and Sky Digital. As I write this I'm watching Three Kings on Sky and the quality is the same as PS I get from my Reg 1 movies..
    The only option I have (due to limited cabling here) is component into Quadscan and HD15 to Panny therefore using VGA or SVGA output from Quadscan. Am I right in assuming I'm getting equivalent of 480p at the moment.??
    Would I get something different if I used HD15 to component in on Panny..and finally would I benefit more from an iscan..??
    If I would or it's recommended I take a look at one is there anywhere I can get a loan unit for a few days (for a fee of course)..
    At the moment I really don;t want to give this back..;)

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    if you set it to line double you are getting 480p.

and considering you can buy one for $499 at the mo from avs forums, i would have to say go with the quadscan, I have :)

you want to try it with line double rather than vga or svga, to see which gives the best results.

all of them are progressive just different resolutions.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    If you set it to line double you are getting 576P I believe....with PAL on Sky.

At VGA you are getting 640 x 480P scaled from 720x576i or 720x480i then upscaled by the plasma to it's native resolution.
    With SVGA 800x600.

The Iscan should give you superior performance with PAL, film based programming like Sky Movies.

Gordon

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    oh you have a plasma with svga resolution.

sorry when you said panny i thought you meant one of those little lcd thingies that everyone is talking about. if that is the case svga should be your best option.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Giz: You're right it's a Panasonic AE100 isn't it....Still same answer though. The quadscan behaves same way regardless of what it's feeding and instead of a plasma re-scaling the signal the projector does.

The projector will make everything 848x480P (that's its native res isn't it?). So in this respect you are correct that at ld it'll ultimately end up as 480P (as they all will) regardless of what is coming out of the Qudscan.

Gordon

6. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Gordon

Using the AE100 it has been said that the best picture is via the VGA port with the wide 480 setting on the projector

Do you know if the ISCAN PRO connected to the VGA socket will give this wide 480 mode

Also is this the best picture? I don't know if you stock the AE100 yet?

Thanks

7. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    so would I not really benefit from connecting quadscan via HD15 to component inputs on Panny..
    Thanks for the input guys..:)

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I will not be stocking the AE100. I have not, as yet, managed to see one either. It shouldn't be too hard for you to work out why.....

An Iscan just does de-interlacing so if it's fed to the VGA socket the propjector would have to do the re-scaling of the image to fit the panel.

Gordon

9. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Gordon - why not stock the AE100 - because of all the failures ( if there are alot ?)

Also on the Wide480 mode - this is the best mode as the Panasonic does no scaling then - says this in the manual - the trick seems to be getting it set to this