1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iscan Pro questions(with Sony 11HT)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by WSquared, Nov 16, 2001.

1. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are there any opinions on whether the Iscan Pro is a good match to the 11HT?

I had a demo of an 11HT today. The shop did not have any external deinterlacers or scalers. The source used was the Denon 2800, although not modified to do PAL prog(I wish I had taken my PC). The screen was a DaLight Snap(i think). It was a very high gain, glass beaded job. NOT a good screen to demo this projector on. Also, the pj wasn't calibrated for this setup. So, I had to keep cycling through all the memory presets when I was examining dark scenes.

The 11 HT's onboard deinterlacing & scaling electronics did a very good job while the Denon was in interlaced mode. I was extremely surpriced to see a couple scenes where the Sony seemed to do a better job than the 2800(in prog mode) with shimmering edges of objects.

The 11HT also did a very good job with standard telly coming in over an Aerial through a video/VHS. I was quite impressed, although I didn't get a chance to see any live football to see how onboard deinterlacer coped with that. However, watching a video tape(Star Wars Ep 1) wasn't all that great. The picture wasn't very good. The resolution just wasn't there. But, when we put in the Star Wars Ep 1 DVD, all faith was restored.

My question is do you think the Iscan Pro would do anything to improve the look of VHS video? This should be a somewhat projector independant question. I am very temped wih the Iscan anyway because I can connect three sources(dvd,video,cable) to it and run just one cable to the projector. Although it doesn't have a VGA passthrough(forHTPC) like the Quadscan Elite. Hmm.

I would still like to experiment with the Iscan Pro and the 11HT. Anybody want to lend me their Iscan? No? didn't think so.

Cheers,
    WSquared

2. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So are those blacks any better?

Are they as good as the Sim2 HT200DM?

3. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Certainly better than the 10HT. However, due to the screen, it's difficult to tell how they compare to the Sim2 range. I would think the the Sim2 HT200DM still has better blacks, but then it is a lot more money.