1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iScan Pro - overloaded component input?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sekrof, Dec 14, 2004.

1. sekrof

sekrof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have an iScan Pro scanner, which I feed with a Sony STR-DA3000ES Reciever/Amp, the set up is this:

INPUTS to STR-DA3000ES:
    VCR -> Composit IN - Vid 1 channel
    TV/Sat (Sky Digital Box) -> Composit IN - Vid 2 channel
    DVD -> Component IN - DVD channel
    Xbox -> Component IN - TV/Sat channel

OUTPUTS from STR-DA3000ES to iScan Pro:
    Component Monitor OUT -> Component IN
    Composit Monitor OUT -> Composit IN

Now here's the odd thing - in the above configuration the iScan Pro goes a bit loopie (partial green hoziontal banding, flickers, black out flashes) when trying to watch either of the Composit feeds (TV or VCR). Switch over to DVD or Xbox (component) - and it's picture perfect.

Now, if I unplug either the Component Monitor OUT on the Amp, or the Component IN on the iScan, while watching a composit channel, everything is fine.

My question(s) are therefore:

1. Why does the iScan Pro get 'overloaded' when 2 component feeds are connected to it via the sinlge component monitor output from the Amp ?

2. Why does this happen even when the component pieces of kit are in standby mode? surely there's no signal on those component lines when kit is inactive?

3. Does anyone think the an iScan HD+ unit would solve this issue (as I notice it takes 2 seperate component inputs) ?

4. Is there any way to configure the above setup to work with the iScan Pro? (for exmple would moving one of the component pieces to s-Video work)?

Any help/answers/pointer or advice would be very gratefully received.

:)

2. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Q3. Well this aint going to solve your problem but I have an Iscan HD which is being fed direct with the following items and not through the amp so switching is done via Iscan HD and each input has its own signal.

DVD>Component
    Sky+>scart+RGB Sync
    Digital Camera>Composite
    PS2>SVHS

Everything is A OK on the HD which is fed to the panel via VGA. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps :smashin:

3. sekrof

sekrof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PTG - I think this is the option to go for. From chatting with those in the know, and tinkering with the Amp & iScan combinations, it seems a simple matter of 'confusing the iScan auto-channel selector'.

What I'm amazed by is the fact that the iScan can get soo upset by the Amp, EVEN if the amp has NO component inputs being fed to it - simply a component output (brrr, nasty!).

Anyway, to ensure that the iScan Pro or HD/+ get the best possible chance with the signals I'm going to go direct from now on. No more ruining that signal with crappy amp connectors.

Can't wait for the HD+ (<--- sad git).
    :thumbsup:

4. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. sekrof

sekrof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been there, done that, even got the T-Shirt! :laugh: (and yes, they even sell them polo shirts !! :thumbsup: )

For anyone else that is having a simpliar problem, I've found that 2 things sort this out:

1. DO NOT route visual signals through amps/receivers to the iScan (unless you realy know what you're doing), better to do direct to the iScan unit from the source.
    2. Use the iScan channel priority selector switch to help the iScan understand which channel you are watching.