1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iscan Pro and Briteview issue

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by imichael, Jan 23, 2005.

1. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    <edit>Now I'm really confused. If I am taking the signal from the Iscan or Briteview as RGB direct to the VGA on the plasma. Then should the input to the unit be non-ps component?

the deinterlacer then converts from component to RGB on the output?

I seem to be getting color cast issues doing this.

Thanks for any advice

Ian

I have bought both of these recently to see what difference it made to the pq on my plasma.

My main issue is that I have a delphi plasma so can only connect using the VGA port or RGB 75ohm, no component connection.

The Briteview does have the PAL upgrade - is this an issue through VGA?

I bought both of these from these very forums over the past couple of weeks and assumed the Iscan Pro would provide a slightly better picture based on information gathered here.

However, I find that the Iscan produces a very 'dull' image which needs brightness boosted on both the box and the plasma and still doesn't quite cut it.

the default output of the Iscan is 800 x 600 at 50hz, I am using either 800 x 600 75hz on the briteview or the Pal Plus setting,

My question is why is there such a dramatic difference in brightness and contrast between these to scaler/interlacers. And second question is does the fact that I am using video switching on the Yamaha 750se to convert all sigs to component before connecting to the scaler make a difference?

Thanks

Ian

2. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ian
    Yes the inputs are non prog scan.

How is the briteview is that ok or are you still getting colour cast issues - plug in a pc, if's still stuffed then its your screen or some sort of timing issue.

I take it your RGB 75ohm are BNC??

Scalers use different chips and the briteview is a later model, I doubt the 750se would make a difference but you owe it to yourself to connect it direct and make sure the path is as direct as you can manage.

good luck.

3. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jonny

I reconnected everything last night, I have a feeling that I've been dumb - I had one DVD player set to RGB out and the other to component.

Now I've sorted that, it all seems to be ok.

The RGB is using the VGA input. I will try the 75ohm tonight.

The Iscan Pro is still too dim to use though - but I think that may be down to the plasma not liking it as it produces very artificial brightness halos', not chroma when boosting the brightness.

The end result is that I'm starting to think that the input into the plasma now outperforms the picture, as I keep getting a frame dropping effect - jerky movement, and not just in camera pans etc.

Oh well, I feel myself being drawn towards some new glass.

Ian

4. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ian
    What inputs does your plasma have?
    Are you finding the briteview causing frame dropping or is it with the iscan also?

Also - what are you trying to improve?

j

5. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jonny
    It's a delphi, so it has composite, 75Ohm RGB, VGA, SDI(?) and svid. No ports for expansion.
    THe briteview seems to exaggerate the frame dropping slightly on sky, but has no effect on DVD. The iscan appears to cure the frame dropping (at the expense of some serious lip synch delays I think), but is unuseable owing to the lack of brightness.

I'm trying to improve the levels of solarisation and general PQ - there is a definite jump in quality using the briteview compared to the svideo - this more than makes up for the frame dropping issue.

I've run DVE at each change in connection, and the brightness/contrast improvements are easily seen using the briteview - I get the full range of above white to below black, on svid I had to compromise, making dark scenes very dark.

The main problem might be the screen spec - from memory CD is 640 and contrast 1000:1. Top screen 4 years ago, but has been left behind now.

Ian

6. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ian
    Do you have a pc monitor around? Try the briteview on that to make sure its that and not the plasma. I have one (the avt-3700 model) and have never had any issues with the progressive component 720p, its always produced an excellent image on my older pj, although i've not used the vga out.

Could your delphi accept component 576p/720p via the vga sockets?

When you say you have frame dropping you mean sky is dropping frames? Do you get tearing or just frame dropping?

J

7. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The VGA is RGB only, I get immediate green cast if I switch either the iscan or BV to component out.

I have an LCD TV in the kids computer room, so I'll try that, but being an 18ms refresh rate I'm not hopeful of proving much on it.

I'm not sure what tearing looks like, but the image sometimes has a 'stop go' feel to it, like with time delay photgraphy. the actual image is fine, no distortion, it's almost as if it can't quite refresh at 50hz, so it misses alternate frames to catch up.

I've tried changing the resolution and frequency, but no difference.

Ian

8. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I guess your only option then is to get an sdi modded sky+ box or a sdi dvd player.

I can't seem to find a scaler that outputs sdi though..

9. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a nice idea, but I'd rather spend £1500 on a new plasma than on a DVD player or Sky+.

I'll keep tinkering and upgrade when I can justify the cost.

Thanks for your help

10. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can also try to get another scaler that outputs 800x600@50htz and it is bright enough to drive the plasma. At least at that res/frame rate it seems ok.

Iscan ultra?? lumagen?? pc??

I still think you should connect both to a vga monitor to check the outputs of the boxes just to be sure - before writing them both off.

j