1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iscan info please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by garyc, Sep 21, 2004.

1. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

Could anyone please give me a quick lowdown on the main differences between the iscan models etc

cheers

gary

2. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Moving thread to Video processing forum which is more appropiate ...

3. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    thankyou sorry my error

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Just a quick rundown:

iScan Pro (discontinued) - very simple deinterlacer

iScan Ultra (practically discontinued, available much cheaper now) - deinterlacer with more inputs and processing power than Pro model, digital DVI output (that doesn't work with Panasonic plasmas).

iScan HD - deinterlacer and scaler. Where the other models simply convert into progressive scan, the HD is able to rescale the resolution of the image up or down to the exact resolution of the display, or to a HDTV signal that the display works well with.

iScan HD+ - exactly the same as HD except with deinterlacing of signals input into DVI port (where non + model would simply bypass the signal). Available Dec '04

HTH

5. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Laim,

thankyou for your reply

cheers

gary

6. Dale Adams

Dale Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Liam,

You missed a couple of new features on the HD+:

1) The DVI input and output are HDCP capable. HDCP-encrypted signals can now be processed by the iScan.

2) The iScan HD could process signals from the DVI input, but only if they were 480p or 576p. The HD+ can also fully process 720p and 1080i, although 1080i is deinterlaced using only a simple 'bob' method.

- Dale Adams

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi Dale! Yeah was a bit thin just to list the main differences between all models. But while you're here if I could ask a few q's :D

- I assume the HD+ only adds HDCP encyption where it is from a HDCP source?

- Will the DVI input accept 480i or 576i (or can it be made to using only firmware updates)? Or might we see a HDMI version of the box that will have this functionality?

- Can current HD owners upgrade their boxes to the + spec or does it involve specific hardware modifications (and if so is it a simple mod or a back to USA jobby!)?

- will the HD+ output non-HDCP encoded information from a DVI source, out via analogue? (e.g. 480p from cheapo DVI DVD player to HD+, up to 720p and out RGBHV)

thanks Dale

8. 28marcus

28marcus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Liam,

Is it only the Ultra that has a problem with the Panny Plasmas?

Basically I've got a Cyrus DVD8 and AV8 and TH42PW6. The DVD8 connects via Component (seems to be quite good imho). My NTL box connects via RGB Scart, Gamecube via Scart and Apple Laptop via the PC terminal (should use DVI but I've not got the board or extra bay)

Basically I have no Video switching (except for using the remote which is pants) and am not making use of the Progressive Scan capabilities of the Panny.

Does anyone know if there is any mileage in switching everything through The Iscan HD using the DVI module on the panny. Will I get a better picture?

Should I be happy with what I've got?

Should I sell all my Cyrus and buy a more capable AV receiver (not keen on this one)?

Or is there something else I should be looking at?

Help!

:rolleyes:

marcus

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    TBH not many things work with the Panny DVI board, it's not just the ultra!! Older Ultras used to send an incompatible signal from PAL sources (572p instead of 576p iirc), so DVI would only work from NTSC material.

On the new HD the DVI port is fine, but the Panasonic DVI card still isn't since it will only accept most resolutions at 60Hz. A simple setup would be to send it 480p @ 60Hz and 576p @ 50Hz via DVI, this would work fine. However, the Panasonic seems to work best being fed 720p - but via DVI will only accept this at 60Hz. This means 50Hz material (anything UK basically, so Sky, NTL, R2 DVD etc) will need to be converted to 60Hz which can introduce judder.

To be honest I would go with the HD anyway, but connect using VGA instead of DVI or don't upscale. VGA doesn't have these refresh rate issues and is very nearly as good as DVI anyway (this is how I have installed them).

As for switching and stuff. Don't think of the HD as a switcher, this is a dedicated deinterlacing and scaling processor that uses better technology than that in your plasma. The plasma is already converting everything to progressive scan and displaying the image in progressive format - the iScan will offer much better conversion to progressive scan, adding more detail and depth to the image and giving much more control over individual settings (colour, contrast etc).

10. Dale Adams

Dale Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Correct. If the input is HDCP-encrypted, then the output will be. Otherwise, HDCP protection is not added.

Not yet, but it's certainly possible in a future firmware upgrade.

There are hardware differences between the HD and the HD+, but these are limited to a single circuit board. We're working on an upgrade which will allow either the user or a service provider to upgrade an HD to an HD+, but we don't have anything firm to announce quite yet.

Actually, the HD will do this as long as the DVI input is 480p or 576p. The HD+ will do it as well, but also with 720p and 1080i inputs.

- Dale Adams

11. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Better start saving up for my HD upgrade board then :)

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Thanks again Dale!!

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    28marcus

The iScanHD(+) should be pretty high up on your shopping list if you want something that gives you switching power and video quality upgrades in one go; though you'll also need to re plan you audio connectivity as you'll want to run your audio sources via the iScanHD(+) to make use of the Digital Audio Delay in the video processor.

There's not a huge difference in quality between the RGBHV (VGA) and the DVI outputs of the iScanHD - though the ability to process HDCP encrypted signals in the HD+ makes DVI a better long term bet.

With a bit of work you can interface an iScanHD(+) with the TY-42TM6DB Input board - and I'm sure given the 'issues' Dale and the boys can make it a touch easier to achieve :)

Interfacing your sources with an iScanHD(+) is relatively straightforward - Interlaced YUV from your DVD8, SCART to 4RCA (RGB+Composite sync) from your Digibox, DVI pass though for you PC and S-Video and Composite for any other video sources.

Your GameCube can be daisy chained via the Digibox - assuming you have it set to output RGB via SCART.

Any questions please shout.

Joe