1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iScan HD Software Updates

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PhilB1234, Feb 22, 2005.

1. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'd like to update my iScan HD with the latest software for the bug fixes and direct IR control, but do not have a USB port so wanted some adivce from others who have successfully updated.

-I have a USB > RS232 adaptor but it isn't one of DVDO's suggested models, will trying it potentially cause damage. If it can't support the data rates needed, could I be left with a non-functioning scaler?

-Does anyone know where to get one of the suggested adaptors for a decent price in the UK?

Any help or advice much appreciated!!

2. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I used the hardware suggested - no problems at all.
    http://www.easysync.co.uk/usbrs232_single.html
    It's the USB232B (£22.50)

The serial cable was more of a problem. Got a Belkin one, but it wouldn't plug into the Iscan. It had nuts on, and so does the Iscan. Just butchered the end to reveal the pins only, and all was OK.

3. Pauldepmanager

Pauldepmanager
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did exactley the same thing. I used an old serial cable I had laying around but had problems connecting to the iscan port because of the bolts on the cable. So I also butchered the cable with a pair of pliers so that the pins were just showing.

crud but it works.

4. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    After I butchered mine, I got the SDI upgrade, which came with a proper cable!

[​IMG]

5. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Pottsy/Paul, very useful.....
    You're right about butchering! That's some serious modifying needed! It looks like I need a female to male cable, and not one that can be used as an extension lead as that may be why the modification was needed....
    So do you think I should try the USB serial adaptor I have, or bite the bullet and pay £22.50 for a new 'correct' one?

On the other hand would anyone be prepared to send their USB adaptor on holiday to me for a few days? ;-) ( If you don't ask..... you don't get!! )

6. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Phil,

Pretty sure this is just a standard serial cable (Null modem cable???). PC World should be able to sell you one for very little cost. You are probs best to get one anyhow as software updates are quite regular...

Cheers

JJ

7. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No, not a null modem cable. Needs to be a "Male to Female extension (1:1) Serial Cable".

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    :oops: Always glad to be corrected...

9. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a male to female serial cable on the way...... Now just have to bite the bullet on the USB adaptor...... I just hope the HD continues to get software updates whilst the HD+ is available!

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Yeah, since the HD+ has come out, updates have still been arriving for the HD.

I think there is a pretty major upgrade due soon (in beta at the mo) which should add features like display profiles, custom/anamorphic aspect control etc.

From what I have read, the products will continue side by side, as not all people need HD scaling and that is the only difference.

Cheers

JJ

11. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received the USB adaptor this morning (thanks for the link Pottsy!) now just have to wait for the RS232 cable, and I'm ready to go!

12. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having received all the cables needed, I've been trying to perform the software update but only get Err1 messages saying the file may be corrupt. I've downloaded it in various ways and made a dozen attempts with the same result.
    Has anyone got any ideas? Will a dealer have the ability to do it for me? (although I bought mine 2nd hand).
    Any advice gratefully received!

13. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now my display constantly shows LOAD and is unusable.
    I've tried loading all three software files on the DVDO website, but each time I am told the files have been corrupted.
    Does anyone know what I should do next?

14. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had this when I downloaded the file onto a network drive. Don't ask me why, but it worked when using a file from the local HDD. I'd also try messing with the transmit speed, see if you can get it to work at a slower speed. Obviously check all the settings are as per the DVDO instructions.

15. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Pottsy, a network drive wont provide a constant transmission rate presumably causing a timeout

16. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, I assumed that, but hoped it would work since it's a Gigabit network on a fast RAID server... (normally as fast as a HDD).