Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

iScan HD Shortcoming?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by andyatkins, May 23, 2004.

1. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Say you invest in an iSCan HD for externally scaling images for a Plasma. What will happen when the iScan encounters an HDCP encoded-source?

Will it be unable to process it & not pass on the signal to the Plasma?

Or will it simply pass the signal through untouched?

Either way it seems to me that if you invest in one you are gamlbing that HDCP does not become common-place?

Don't get me wrong I really would like to think there's a simple answer to this as I like the idea of the simplicity of an iScan Vs an HCPC with Dscaler, but I really don't fancy being unable to use the Scaler for exactly the sort of HD stuff you would want to use a SCaler to get 1:1 pixel mapping for.

Whilst I'm on a roll I would also appreciate considered views on the quality of Dscaler Vs iScan based video scaling overall? I'm tending to think that like much popular public domain s/w with a strong following Dscaler will be subject to on-going quality improvement whereas the iScan is a one-off that you will need to (eventually) replace to upgrade.

Any thoughts guys?

THanks

2. Dale Adams

Dale Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    An HDCP-protected DVI signal will be passed through to the DVI output untouched.

- Dale Adams