iScan HD scaler

MAFFEW

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have decided I must get one of these but am still confused. I will be feeding it with a Panny DVD/HDD recorder, and Denon DVDA1. 2 SAT boxes are routed through the HDD. So I will input an S Video from the HDD and component from the A1 to the scaler. What output goes from the iscan to the Plasma? I have an "old" 3rd generation plasma, TH50PHW3E. Looking at my input choices it looks like I must input to the 5 x BNC sockets Y,Pb,Pr,VD and HD, is this correct? My poor lip synch is the main driver behind this purchase, but if it can improve my picture too, thast's a bonus. I am in Kuwait and the picture I get from the 2 sat boxes is mediocre at best. I suppose the question is : what lead do I need to get the picture from the iScan to the plasma to get the best I can from it?

MAFFEW said:
I have decided I must get one of these but am still confused. I will be feeding it with a Panny DVD/HDD recorder, and Denon DVDA1. 2 SAT boxes are routed through the HDD. So I will input an S Video from the HDD and component from the A1 to the scaler. What output goes from the iscan to the Plasma? I have an "old" 3rd generation plasma, TH50PHW3E. Looking at my input choices it looks like I must input to the 5 x BNC sockets Y,Pb,Pr,VD and HD, is this correct? My poor lip synch is the main driver behind this purchase, but if it can improve my picture too, thast's a bonus. I am in Kuwait and the picture I get from the 2 sat boxes is mediocre at best. I suppose the question is : what lead do I need to get the picture from the iScan to the plasma to get the best I can from it?

You are probs best using the VGA out to 5 x BNC. You will need a DB15 to 5 x BNC cable for this and then configure the HD to output RGBHV. I use a bettercables cable in this type of configuration and it works very well.

Do you realise that the HD can accept an RGBs signal which will likely be better than Svid - you will need a scart adapter or scart to 'RGB and sync' cable to do this. Adapters are about £5 in the UK.

So I guess you should be doing the following:

RGB out of HDD using RGBs adapter => Iscan HD RGBs input (COM1 or COM2 using sync)
YUV out of A1 => Iscan HD YUV input (COM1 or COM2 no sync)
RGB (VGA) out of IScan HD => Panny 5 x BNC RGBHV input.

Enjoy the HD, it is a great bit of kit and the lipsync correcttion works really well...that is one of the nice extras that made me choose DVDO over other scalers ;)

Cheers

JJ

Thanks JJ,

The HDD only outputs through either Svideo or composite, that's why I chose S Video, the lesser of "2 evils". Will I get 1080i out of my sat boxes on the plasma, after they have been through the iScan? Almost seems to good to be true. I am also unsure of whether my A1 will benefit from going the the iScan; will I get an even better picture from it than I do now? Prog scan it is pretty damn good. If I do route it through the iScan, I need to set it to interlaced do I?

Its best to resolution match the output of your scaler to your plasma rather than just outputing the highest resolution possible :smashin: If you output a resolution higher than the one your plasma can handle it will just down scale it usually leaving you with a less sharp image. Also a progressive output will generally be superior to a interlaced one :) If your plasma is capable of taking a hi def image then I would probably recommend a resolution around 720p depending on the resolution of your plasma panel :D

The plasma is HD and according to the specs is capable of 1080i, I am assuming that is superior to 720p, or have I got that wrong too? If I have understood you correctly then I can match the output to that then. I was aware that I had to match the scaler to the plasma, I made the statement based on the specs in the manual, but I do appreciate you checking. TVM

The plasma may be compatible with a 1080i signal, but that dosnt mean it has a native 1080 resolution :) In fact I can state that it dosnt as I dont know of a plasma which does have a 1080 native resolution. It would be best to find the native resolution of the panel and match it as closely as possible :smashin:

Unless one of your Sat boxes is Hi-Def you will only be 'rearranging' the input signal to conform with the higher grade output, i.e. upscaling. It may look better than the image you are currently watching but most are agreed the best PQ is found at the displays 'native' resolution which is where the least information conversion has taken place. The Iscan is a great tool for matching this.

Don't get too hung up on the numbers - unless you can actually count the lines ;-) It's the picture quality that counts.

Had my Iscan HD and PWD6 calibrated by Gordon yesterday morning and must say the end result is very impressive, colours seem to look more natural with more depth and detail to the image.

I was shown the difference by Gordon of the panel showing it's native resolution and being sent 720p. Last night I switched back and forth between native and 720p, and I do prefer it set to 720p, It just looks so much better to me.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again Gordon,.... even the misses could tell the difference :eek:

PTG

Thank you, the fog is clearing,.............. slowly. How do I identify the native resolution? It is a "3rd." generation Panny. TH50PWH3, does that help? It gives a great picture prog scan from the Denon A1 as is. I don't wanna get hung up on the numbers as I have a poor grip on their meaning at best. My problem is stuck out here in Kuwait, my local pool of knowledge is shallow. This forum and it's members etc.... has been of great use to me and sad, lonely little anorak that I am, :blush: my supporting wifes adjectives, God love her, I read these threads most days. As long as she keeps on letting me update my gear and supports my DVD fetish, I'll ignore the rolling of the eyes, and the "what the hell are you buggering around with now" look :rolleyes: . I know you've all seen it!!!! :hiya: Is PQ picture quality - I'm really showing my ignorance now. I do appreciate the non judgemental advise that this forum offers - Thank you.

A quick search returned a native resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. See if there is a match for this figure in the 'Format' menu of the HD. You also get a good readout of the status of any current input and output signal by pressing the 'Info' button.

Read this thread. It could be very relevant to your setup.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126358&highlight=jasonjo

PQ is a common abbrev.(sic) for picture quality.

MAFFEW said:
Thanks JJ,

The HDD only outputs through either Svideo or composite, that's why I chose S Video, the lesser of "2 evils". Will I get 1080i out of my sat boxes on the plasma, after they have been through the iScan? Almost seems to good to be true. I am also unsure of whether my A1 will benefit from going the the iScan; will I get an even better picture from it than I do now? Prog scan it is pretty damn good. If I do route it through the iScan, I need to set it to interlaced do I?

Fair play on the svid front ;)

I put my Denon 3800 via the IScan using YUV. The main reson for this is I can then tailor the picture using the Iscan (colour etc.) and also gain the advantage of lipsync correction (your main issue???). Personally I think the picture looks a little better via the Iscan but then Denon's do have very good prog scan output on their component connections. I am just about to get my 3800 SDI modded and add an SDI board to the Iscan to try and get the very best of of my 3800, as I have decided to keep it until HD DVD arrives and is settled in.

If you route the A1 via the iScan, then yes just set it to output interlaced video. This will allow the Iscan to both deinterlace and scale the image, both of which it is very good at. Whether it is better than the A1 is hard to say without trying it - I very much doubt it will be worse, but as I said you get extra features and cure lipsync.

In terms of output from the Iscan, I think you need to experiment. Some will say that native resolution is best, but as you have heard, with the Panny SD screens you actually get better results with 720p even though the screen is only 480.

JJ

PTG said:
Had my Iscan HD and PWD6 calibrated by Gordon yesterday morning and must say the end result is very impressive, colours seem to look more natural with more depth and detail to the image.

I was shown the difference by Gordon of the panel showing it's native resolution and being sent 720p. Last night I switched back and forth between native and 720p, and I do prefer it set to 720p, It just looks so much better to me.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again Gordon,.... even the misses could tell the difference :eek:

PTG

I have a pretty similar setup to you and would totally agree with 720p as the best option. Not that all plasma's would be, but the Panny SD's do seem to like 720p :thumbsup:

JJ

Hello all

Just to be clear for MAFFEW - the Standard Definition 852x480P Panasonic Displays do tend to look best with a 720P signal from the iScanHD

Your 1366x768P Higher Definition Panasonic Display will look best with a 1366x768P output from your iScanHD.

Keep in mind you wont suddenly be receiving High Definition from your Set Tops - with careful set-up (and no end of head scratching to begin with) you will end up with a better looking on-screen image.

If the Displays the main household TV you may want to do a bit of 'after midnight' fiddling - don't expect to get this all up and running in ten minutes with the family hovering over you waiting to see a favourite TV show :)

Best regards

Joe

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new Sharp LC32GA4E, a significant upgrade on the hand me down TVs we have been benefitting from until now, and have been using the time to learn something about the technologies involved. It is becoming apparent that in order to get the best from the display I may benenfit from changing much of my current setup but would appreciate advice from other members, based on their own experiences.

Current setup

- Sky+ located in loft distributing Sky throughout the house on coax along with terrestrial signal (which is very poor but not often watched / No Freeview reception)

Old VCR, DVD and Pro Logic Surround System with Analogue Audio Input

There is nothing special about this setup and although I would aim to upgrade the entire system over time it has been way down the priority list and although I appreciate a reasonable quality setup I am not enough of a purist to require the ultimate in performance and am unwilling to pay for the ever decreasing return on investment required for the top end performance. I am also concerned that the setup should not be so complex that the wife will struggle to operate it.

Considerations:

1. Dedicated Scaler (Iscan HD+)?

This could be used to scale the Sky+ signal routed via the VCR however no Digital Audio - any recomendations for a DA converter? The digital ouput would then need converting back to analogue for input to TV / Surround System - again any recommendations? Alternatively Bypass HD+ with audio - how significant is the induced synchronisation problem.

Somewhat happier about using this with the DVD player and from reading understand that possibly the best upgrade path is to get a cheap SDI enabled DVD player and the SDI kit for the HD+. Digital Audio output from HD+ remains an issue.

Assuming I resolve the issues will this make a significant difference with my setup? If not I might as well just connect up my scart leads and make like an Ostrich.

2. Ignore Sky / VCR issues and upgrade DVD player

Although the Sky output is important the most important source is the DVD player and hence am I better off just upgrading to a progressive DVD player. Is it better to get a DVD player with a dedicated scaler or rely on the scaler within the panel?

Just a few ramblings and I hope someone can help me set my mind at rest.

mimote

For someone who's not too fussed about absolute picture quality a 1K + splash on an HD+/SDI seems excessive! - What would you be going after if you were interested :)

Unless you move the SKY+ down from the loft or at least get the RGB/5:1 signals out of it and directly into the iScanHD+ your wasting your time and money.

I'd consider splitting the RGB signal from SKY+ to a direct feed to the iScanHD+ and to your RF converter/distribution amp; relatively straightforward and cost effective.

The Video Processing in the iScanHD+ will outperform any TV and pretty much any DVD player.

Best regards

Joe

Truth be told until I get the new display I dont know how much of a purist I am likely to become. I will start off just plugging in my good old scart leads and seeing how it looks but whilst waiting for the panel to arrive can't help doing research on how to get the best out of it. If I am disappointed with the picture from my current setup I think the dedicated scaler route is the obvious solution but as indicated above I am still investigating how best to reconfigure my current setup. I agree that the sky setup is far from ideal but am limited to a single coax distribution system and have no strong inclination to re-cable the house. Moving the sky box would therefore prevent sharing the output in the bedrooms and with the crappy terrestrial signal we get this is not ideal :confused:

Hi folks,

Is it possible to obtain a 4bnc output from the iscan hd as you could with the Ultra?

HD only has DVI and VGA output, if that is what you mean, I'm sure a lead could be bought though (VGA to 4BNC)

It is normaly a VGA (DB15) to 5 x BNC (RGBHV)

These are pretty common and I use a BetterCables one in my system.

JJ

yeah i have a vga to 4bnc cable already to my Barco 708s. On the ultra, there is a jumper switch to change from 5 to 4 bnc.

I just wondered if the HD had the same capability

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom