1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iScan HD+ question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SimonHod, Dec 15, 2004.

1. SimonHod

SimonHod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a brief query related to the iScan HD+. I wonder if you clever folks could advise.

Basically I want to connect all my sources through the iScan so I can output at my TV's native resolution (720) and avoid using its internal scaler. I also wish to clear up and improve the PQ where possible. I have normal sky (Although soon to be Sky+), xbox (soon to have hi-def cable) and an Arcam DV79. My amp is a Denon 3805. My question is this:

Can I have all these sources going through the iScan and being sent at 720, 50Hz through the DVI output? I have been told the VGA connection should be used but unfortunately this is situated on the front of my set, so I would rather avoid using this.

Any comments?

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Which display do you have ?

Cheers, Lee

3. SimonHod

SimonHod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response. I have a Themescene RD65 DLP Rear Pro.

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    I have had an RD65 for a few weeks now, after viewing the set at Optoma offices in Watford and at the AV show in Hammersmith, I was very impressed with the finish of the case, the overall size and quality of the picture.

However I'm afraid to say that although the pictures via a PAL source are indeed good, the set is not NTSC compatible. The picture jerks slightly when feed a NTSC source (Region 1 DVD). I have tried the RD65 with 3 different DVD players, through all manor of different inputs and settings with no change.

So I then decided to contact Optoma about this problem which at the time they say they were not aware of. Their advertising at the time had NTSC compatible on the net and Boucher.

They have since changed their advertising to not NTSC compatible and have told me there this no way around this problem. Unless I can find a DVD player or external box which can convert NTSC to PAL and outputs a PAL feed the problem will remain.

As you can guess I am far from happy with this situation. I have become accustomed to the good quality pictures from the PAL source and would love to view my Region 1 (NTSC) collection with equal quality.

I am also confused as to how this problem can not be solved, as Optoma has a H77 DLP HD2+ projector which does not display this problem. Nor do other manufacturers as my father has an Infocus 7205 DLP HD2+, which displays NTSC signal with no problems. Does Optoma expect its customers who are mainly enthusiast’s only to have region 2 DVD’s in their collection.

I have had many phone calls to Optoma and sent a lengthy letter on the subject but still they are adamant that the RD65 can not display NTSC pictures via tweeking of the software or an external device. I now feel Optoma have a white elephant on their hands if this problem is not resolved.

Are there any RD65 owners who have overcome this problem? Or does any one know of a device or DVD player which will convert a NTSC signal to PAL?

Your help would be much appreciated.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Well you can get standards converters from Here but they are not cheap and only have composite or S-Video inputs.

Mark.

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    Thank you I will contact them in the morning. I'll let you know what they say.

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    An iScan HD or HD+ will convert NTSC to 50Hz with it's Frame Rate Conversion feature, which could help with this display.

StooMonster

8. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    DV79 - HDMI to DVI HD+ will scale it, HD will pass it through to display unaltered above 576p so its what the Arcam will scale.

Sky(+) - Scart to RGBS will scale out to DVI (looks great BTW)

X-box - never tried this but the HD has component in - have read posts by gamers complaining of 'action lag' between controls and video.

One thing the HD(+) doesn't do that caught me out is VGA in to DVI out - it's strictly a passthru.

9. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the VGA output from the iScan:
    -Don't forget that it doesn't have to go to a VGA input (like the one on the front of the set). With the appropriate lead you can set it the iScan to output analogue component and send the image into the component sockets on the back of the set.
    -DVI is certainly best though so it's worth doing what you can to use that as first choice!

10. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Is the iScan HD+ available yet ?

How much is it with the SDI input ?

11. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The only smooth NTSC I have ever seen is that converted down do 48Hz by the Iscan HD+. And it really is as smooth as the 24fps film.

12. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yep, it's available.....

13. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Any idea on the price with SDI ?

14. Ian Trotter

Ian Trotter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :lease: I am trying to set up my new Pioneer 435 XDE plasma & iScan HD+ via the DVI output (converted to HDMI).
    When I set the resolution to match the screen's native 1024 x 768 the display shows an image across the whole screen but this is a 'zoomed - in' part of the original source (top left hand corner).
    I have tried most of the preset resolutions & lots of user but with no match to the pixel structure of the display. Changing the refresh rate does not alter the displayed image.
    Via analogue VGA lead into the PC input the screen has acknowledged the 1024 x 768 @75 hz feed & matched the vertical resolution (alternating horizontal pixel lines) but the horizontal resolution did not (vertical lines merging over various lines of pixels.

Can anyone guide me to the correct setting to match the display?

15. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Via the XDEs HDMI input you are limited to using 720p/50Hz...it will not accept its native resolution.

Cheers, Lee

16. Eye in the sky

Eye in the sky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ian,
    Try using the H-Size on your pioneer user setting to get a good match to VLIN test pattern. You will eventually get alternating on/off vertical lines on your screen.

If there is a clock phase setting, use it to correct any colour bands on the 'checker boarder' or VLIN test pattern to look like as its on the HLIN test pattern. Your plasma should have a lock on the Vertical frequency hence HLIN shows a good pattern. But it is not easy to get a good Horizontal timing lock, depends on your plasma though. My Panasonic 42PHD7 is locked at Vertical 50.0Hz and Horizontal 41.20Hz, achieved also on the HD+ ... of course :).

17. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Add £200