Iscan HD question please.

Canoehq

I'm assuming that if I set the output menu on my Sky HD box to 'Automatic', it will output 1080i for HD programming and 576i for SD programmes via the component output (with no HDMI connected).

In that case, am I best connecting my SKY HD box to my Iscan HD via simple component, passing 1080i straight through whilst letting it process any 576i via the same component also.......or.....is it best to connect the 576i scart output from the Sky HD box as RGBs into the Iscan (and keeping the 1080i on separate component passthrough) ?

Unfortunately, haven't received the Iscan yet, so can't try each method yet, and just doing a bit of cabling sorting out in advance.

Really big thanks for any help with this.

Cheers

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Without HDMI connected, the component output will do 576i/720p/1080i in AUTO mode.

With HDMI connected, the component and HDMI outputs will do 576p/720p/1080i in AUTO mode.

At all times the scart will do 576i.

Currently only the Lumagen can edit it's EDID functions in order to get 576i out via HDMI on the Sky HD box. Stoomonster is trying to do the same with a Gefen DVI Detective but not getting brilliantly far just now! See the big ole 576i thread above

Canoehq

Thanks.

But as HDMI is not available to me (as my plasma is analogue only), are you saying that for SD 576i output (with the Sky box set to Automatic) , it doesn't matter whether I connect the SKY HD box to the Iscan HD via component or via scart RGBs, as the end result will still be 576i into the Iscan ?

So from a Sky HD box, component 576i is no better or worse than RGBs 576i into the Iscan then.....is that right ?

(Hope so, as it will create a spare Iscan input for me !)

binbag

This is from the DVDO website:

The iScan HD can deinterlace standard definition interlaced (480i/576i) signals on its analog inputs and scale progressive (480p/576p) signals, but it can not scale high definition (720p/1080i) signals. The component inputs of the iScan HD will automatically convert to pass-through mode if the incoming signal is a high definition format, and will send the input signal through to the analog output unchanged.

Note that the iScan HD does not perform analog transcoding - i.e., it will not convert a pass-through HD analog input in YPbPr to RGB on the output. If your HDTV signal is in YPbPr format it will appear that way at the analog output as well. If the signal is in RGBHV format, then it will be RGBHV at the output as well. Further, the iScan HD will not transcode an HD component signal (720p/1080i) to the DVI output.

Depending how you read the bit I've put in bold, it might be that sticking to component is your only real option anyway as you've only one analogue output.

P.S. Well done at getting it for a silly price - I'd have bought it at that and I've already got one!

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Canoehq said:
Thanks.

But as HDMI is not available to me (as my plasma is analogue only), are you saying that for SD 576i output (with the Sky box set to Automatic) , it doesn't matter whether I connect the SKY HD box to the Iscan HD via component or via scart RGBs, as the end result will still be 576i into the Iscan ?

So from a Sky HD box, component 576i is no better or worse than RGBs 576i into the Iscan then.....is that right ?

(Hope so, as it will create a spare Iscan input for me !)
Since you cannot use HDMI, you have to use component otherwise you will not get a 720p/1080i output! (scart is 576i only) Letting 1080i pass-thru, and 576i getting processed.

I'm not sure whether scart or component might be better for SD performance. Sounds like a lot of effort to me though, would rather just have a single output for convenience!

Top Bottom