Iscan HD or PC with Dscaler to TH42PHD6?

zAndy1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
As subject really, what's going to be best in terms of PQ? I would guess the Iscan HD will win in the useability stakes but the PC should do a good job over VGA to the panny I suspect.

Cheers,
Andy.

Good question - I'm thinking the same. I've read elsewhere on the forum that in terms of iScan Vs Dscaler, one is better at Video sources & the other is better at Film sources - but can't remember which is better at which, sorry!

As I've got a reasonbly up-to-date PC at home my view is to experiment with Dscaler - it costs alot less even with a posh video card - & like all well supported public domain software you know it's going to be constantly updapted. Ultimatly if it works well then you can invest less than half the money of the iScan in a decent HCPC setup & get a high quality DVD player / recorder & MP3 player into the bargain.

I'm dubious about the iScan - the Manufacturer decided not to stump up for the HDCP licence fee & so it's not supported. Makes you wonder what other evolving standards will end up leaving their user-base high & dry.

I thought HDCP was supported by the IScan HD? I've already got my HTPC hooked up to my Sanyo Z2, this is the problem, I want it connecting to my plasma as well and at a different resolution to the Z2 which is 1280 x 720 but I don't think it's possible to do it. I'll hook up the PC to see how it looks anyway, can't wait to see some hidef stuff on the panny HD I bet it looks awesome!

Cheers,
Andy.

Interesting way of supporting HDCP by not scaling any HDCP encoded sources - not sure I'd call it supporting the standard if I'd spent £1k on a scaler that wouldn't scale....

Fair point, and you are absolutely right...

However in my assessment of a scaler available NOW which met all my critieria then the HD met it...support for HDCP scaling was of no real interest to me in the short to medium term...this may be a little shortsighted for some of you guys, but you can never fully futureproof anyhow...

If, and when, I do get HDCP sources I will probs look at an upgrade anyhow as by then things will have probs moved forward with HDMI and HDCP...

JJ

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom