1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iscan HD or HD+

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SillySausage, Mar 22, 2005.

1. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :hiya:

After the information given to me in previous threads, I am going to get a Iscan HD. The features it offers are all what I'm looking for, with the brucey bonus of it solving Lip Sync issues.

Based upon my system, is there a need for the + version with its added connection features.

PHD42 - series 6
    Pioneer 565 DVD
    Standard Sky Box (Pace 2500B I think)
    X-Box - To be connected in hi res to the screen.

Would it be a future proof purchase with Sky HD around the corner?

I also want to replace the Sky Digibox, as it is failing occasionally. Are there any reccomendations for a standard Digibox?

Do I need one with digital audio out to use the lipsync feature on the Iscan, thus pushing me towards Sky+ or a Analogue to digital converter on the standard digibox

Questions questions.... :devil:

Cheers once again,
    Adam.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    To use audio delay it must have optical out, Sony ones do, maybe a 2nd hand or a recon might suit? The HD+ is needed to future proof your screen, along with a DVI board. The + can frame rate convert a HDCP signal, enabling it to use the DVI port on your screen. It will work OK with all non digital signals on VGA port for now, so no need to rush on the DVI bits.

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Sony boxes have a optical out but its disabled so its Sky+ if you want optical out.

4. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But where do they sell them retail / mail order...rather than suppliers wholesale etc..???!!!!

regards

Dil

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Still works for PCM tho doesn't it? just no DD5.1

6. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks once again :)

I've had a quick look at Sony digi boxes, and it seems that they output 2 channel audio through the digital out. I suppose this can be used.

However, the huge pitfall is that they are said to be amongst the worst for picture quality... doh..

I could get an analogue to digital converter, but I am not too sure if this will give me what I am looking for.

tbh, i think with the scaler and a DVD-rw on the cards it is a bit silly to um and ar over Sky. I should just succomb and get Sky+, even though it will be no good when HD arrives ;)

7. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Not true of all boxes. I have a Sony and its optical output works. However the analogue output has far more oomph to the sound. Its a VTX-S760U model by the way and PQ is as good as any.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    SS a secondhand Sky+ box would be a bteer idea (get a V1 box that way you can get it SDi modded later)

9. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I was thinking of this HD, but don't I need to install some more cable and modify the dish in some way? Or is this Sky just scaremongering to protect their business ?

I aint too sure about the sky subsrciption etc. Will they know I have a Sky+ box if i don't get it from them?

I don't mind spending the money, but I don't like spending it to buy something that can't be used. :confused:

Cheers,
    Adam.

10. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The moment you get a Sky + box you will wonder why you didn't get one ages ago. Great piece of kit. You need to change the LNB on your dish for at least a twin output one (Sky fit quad output ones which can run two SKy boxes in addition to the Sky+). You also need a second run of CT100 coax cable from the LNB to the Sky+ box. Provided you subscribe to two premium channels (I tnink this is the current situation but you may want to double check this) there is no additional sub for the Sky+ features.

11. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Piers, I was thinking Sky+ would be the easiest option :cool:

I'll look into what we are subscribed to and pay for now, then decide if it's cheaper to get Sky to install the system or me to do it.

I have also just secured a purchase of an E55 DVD RW, so the OH will be happy.

At least now I can justify myself spending the same amount of money on my toy - Iscan HD+ ..... ahem.... :devil:

Then to get it all set-up and sorted by a reputable man with a box of tricks ;)

Adam.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you can buy a Sky+ and use it for none PVR functions (optical out etc) just swap it with current box and get sky to swap the card over then get if SDi modded for the very very best PQ (need optional SDi board for Iscan)

13. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Adam,

Slightly worried that you may have misinterpreted my earlier post. The "2 premium channels" subscription gets you the Sky+ functionality (recording, live pause etc.), it doesn't affect the install cost so far as I am aware. Install is a relatively easy DIY job though you may need to invest in a "sat finder" box as the new LNB may mean realigning the dish. Hope you don't have walls that are super-thick. I did my own Sky+ upgrade no problem, then offered to do it for a customer - wall was 4 foot thick - never again (perhaps), though I am now the owner of a lovely SDS hammer drill! Drill goes through the toughest walls like butter.

IScan ... ahem... don't you mean Lumagen!!

14. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Piers I notice you're a Lumagen fan. Which model compares with iScan HD+ ?

15. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    How you've lost me. :eek:

All I want Sky+ for is for the the optical out as I suffer from Lip Sync problems on some sky channels and wish to use the Iscan to take care of it.

I am not bothered about recording or live playback etc.

The only reason I am getting a dvd rw is so the OH can make a library of her programmes to watch later.

I am also led to believe that the picture quality is better on Sky+ than vanilla Sky !

The premium channels are of no use either as we do not watch Sky movies and have no interest in football.

In fact, why do I need Sky at all ;)

16. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The DVI is probably the closest, slightly cheaper than the HD+ but doesn't offer audio delay (newer AV receivers do, so you may not need this anyway). The next model up is the HDP, more expensive but more future proof.

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the point of the SDi mod is better qality than the Scart output (you dont really need to know what it is or what it does just see it and see if you think its worth the money........(needs a scaler) AND a DEMO...........

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Right Adam, you can just buy a sky+ box then, and stuff the recording. But it will be cheaper to source another sky box with digital out. The Sony one DOES work on optical, it cannot be turned off in software, and contrary to what some think, it never put out a DD signel, and is still incapable, due to chipset in the box. Quite desirable due to brand name and digital output, but you might find someone willing to sell maybe after upgrade to sky+, or maybe I can find a reconditioned one?

Sky+ box =£199

19. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers for that MAW. At first read I thought you meant that the quality as a whole is incapable, thus I discounted it as an option.

Now I have re-read it I believe you are meaning the audio circuitry is incapable of giving out a DD signal.

After a bit of a trawl, I getthe impression that unless you wish to use the record and freeze / replay functions of Sky+, then there is little point upgrading from regular Sky Digital.

My main priority with Sky is a good quality picture and the ability to cure lip sync using the scaler. Maybe the lip sync shouldn't be the problem that it is, but I can see it on nearly every channel, although my oh thinks I am being paranoid.

I am not bothered about DD sound output from Sky, as long as it is digital enough for the scaler to work with. :rolleyes:

Picture wise, I think our existing Pace 2500B box is past it's best, and I have read that it suffers from chroma problems whatever they are.

So my thinking now is to hunt down a better digibox with either a digital out or invest in a 30 quid a/d converter. (If this will work that is... another quandry)

Icould go down the SDI route, but it is a little expensive atm on top of everything else.

I do apologise for all these repetetive quesitons, and I feel that I am now nearly there with the help of your good self and others from here :thumbsup:

Adamm

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the reason to buy a V1 Sky+ now is it offers optical out,
    and the opertunity to go SDi later (buy Sky+ STB now, and scaler and can go SDi whenever the mood takes you)

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Except sky+ V1 is like rocking horse poo. And the cost of SDI might be slightly offputting considering the gain. I think the original thread was 'best possible PQ', which undoubtedly is HD+, DVI/SDI, but look at cost too, that's nearly a grand over the analogue connection.

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    agreed, there are/were some on ebay, and yes if you pay £100 for a V1 box £250 for mod £250 extra for HD+ and then £200 for SDi board you are looking at £800 :eek: (but is best PQ..............)

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You seen SDI to compare to RGB and sync, Horny? I found amazingly little difference, clearer I suppose, but not chalk and cheese.

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not compared to RGB+s tried to long story..................... did look better than S-video tho.

25. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gang

Im nearly there now too..Im getting a new panel (probs the new 50" Fuji 40) an SDI Modded DVD player and most importantly an IScan HD+ or Lumagen HD scaler. This to be ISFed by Piers of course.

Only thing i need to sort out now is Sky - i have a normal box (new Panasonic one) at the moment...and really do not want to spend another 400 squid to get a SDI modded sky+ If i can help it! Will i be Ok with the existing sky box running into the scaler for best Sky PQ - or do I need to spend dat bleedin extra dosh??? In fact will any SDI modded SKy box be redundant when SKY HD serivce box comes next year - meaning will i have wasted money fro being so impatient ???

Cheers for your advice fellow travellers!

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    New HD boxes will of course have digital output, personally I wouldn't bother with SDI just now unless you have £500 burning a hole in your pocket. RGB and sync works very well.

27. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Mart

Right bugger the sky and SDI mod then..that's 500 quid saved..ta!

Pity you dont do scalers Mart as i see from your site you do Fuji!!! - Your'e the closest "expert" retailer to me in London city and i would love to come se you ! May be i wil anyway - wot's nerest rail station to Cobham then??

Best regards

Dil

28. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Scalers r us mate don't worry. And I can hear the trains from here. The nearest station to cobham is er, cobham. Platforn 2 at waterloo.

29. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: Right then Mart

You do scalers...Lumagen or Iscan...
    You will do the Fuji once in stock or order 4 me...(after you reviewed it of course)..
    you can advise me on dvd sdi mo..

You will on pain of death make me a nce Cockney cuppa...

Answers on very quick postie and im alreqdy at Cobham!!!

Regards

Dil

30. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm on Fujitsu's case, not sure how much they like it.