1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iScan HD and TH42PHD7

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ultraviolet, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello

does anyone have any tips / recommendations for connecting an iScan HD to PHD7? I am connected using RGBS to the iScan and analog to the component board on the plasma (with the format on the plasma set to RGB) and the scaler set to SXGA. After trial and error, this seems to be the optimum setup, but would like to hear any suggestions on how the improve things.....

Cheers,

Neil

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think you may get better results connecting the iScan to the plasma via it's VGA input. Set the output on the iScan to RGB and the input on the plasma to RGB too.

Also SXGA is 1280x1024...you really want to the iScan to be outputting XGA which is 1024x768 which is the native resolution of the plasma.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Lee

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,468
    Ultraviolet

Any reason for not sticking a DVI Board in the Display? – it would seem the most obvious move!

Your limited to 720P if you don't want to convert 50Hz signals to 60Hz via DVI – though a lot of folk we work with don't find this a problem.

If your keen to stick to analogue I'm with Lee – go RGBHV (HD15 or 5BNC) rather than YUV (3BNC).

Use the built in test patterns in the iScanHD and the Plasma's sizing adjustments to ensure you have pixel to pixel mapping.

Best regards

Joe

PS I guess your tag line is out of date :)

4. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have found that I can get VERY good test patterns using XGA into the VGA port. All you have to do is adjust the PHD7 picture size controls until you find the point where all the moire patterns vanish. Then move the picture until the border sits just right (which it will, exactly).

I have avoided the DVI, because I didn't want to scale, and scale again. 50Hz conversion to 60Hz just looks terrible IMO. I tju stloo ks allw rongi fyo uknoww hatim ean.

I have been pondering my DVD to HD+ connection. I am sending interlaced analogue via nice component cables. Some DVDs look very grainy (video noise), for example AI (PAL R2) and Schindlers list. But then a Pixar production or DVE shows no video noise at all.... Would SDI help? (DVD is Arcam DV88+)

Finally, I just discovered 48Hz on NTSC. At last NTSC DVDs and LDs move smoothly - and I thought that that trick was impossible!

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Welcome to the Panny + Iscan HD club!! :thumbsup:

48Hz is kinda cool isn't it...you probs dont notice the slight flicker you get on the SD screens as you have a HD with dual scan ;)

"I tju stloo ks allw rongi fyo uknoww hatim ean." :D :D

I send interlaced from my DVD-3800 into the HD with Scorpion cables and generally get a pretty smooth result, not noticed grainy before and I dont rememer the Arcam being like that when I had my DV88...may it is just crappy mastering on the discs and you now have such a good feed it is more apparent??? ;)

I am still contemplating SDI on my 3800, but the total cost for me is £325 for the SDI Denon mod then another £400 or so for the SDI upgrade for the HD makes me a little wary of the potential returns...

JJ

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    daftQ but anyone compared RGBS to YUV intelaced via an HD to a PHD7???? just something i read while ago suggests that you may get slightly better results

7. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Jason,

I think the grain is mastering - purely because DVE looks absolutely perfect. And yes, every DVD now seems to have a fault; soft, grainy, jerky (transfer shimmer). But a very good one looks very very good indeed.

Double scan on HD screens? Didn't know that. But I can see a slight flicker sometimes, but it's a bit like watching a 50Hz CRT. After a bit you just don't notice. BTW, I find freeview via RGBs to be very, very good - I just can't get enough of it at the mo.

Let me know when you finally give in and go SDI - I would love to know whether it's worth it!!

Horny - not tried it, but will give it a go and report back. Was hoping to do a nice A/B test but I can't get a scart and component cables into the DV88+ at the same time.

Andrew

8. Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Chaps

am now running RGB from the iScan to the PHD7 in XGA... have run through the testing on the IScan and found that the checkerbox and vertical line tests are almost perfect for the horizontal size (ie they merge to grey without significant resizing) but the vertical size is way out and needs significant readjustment before I can 'merge' out the horizontal lines in the tests.

Does this sound sensible? or am I missing something?

UV

9. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Having merged out the vertical size, can you make the border pattern fit exactly? If so, you got it right. Check (of course) that you have the Panny on 16:9 setting with wobble off.

And I always understood that you'd get better results going in via the VGA port. Have you tried that?

10. Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pottsy

thanks for your help.
    Haven't checked the border pattern yet - is the Frame & Geometry test on the iScan the best way to check this? or is there a better way?

The PHD7 is set to 16:9 but could you be a bit more specific on how to turn the 'wobble off'?

Have spent a shedload on a decent HD15 to 5BNC cable so am loath to convert back to going into the VGA port! Do you know for definite that this is better?

Cheers,

UV

11. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, frame and geom is what I meant... Set the horiz and vert pattern like you have been, then display the frame and geom and you should be able to move the picture using the Panny horiz and vert position so that the borders are exactly at the edge of the screen. This confirms that you've got the horiz and vert size correct.

I have heard that VGA is better, but can't confirm it myself because I don't have a component card. Will cost you £30 to try - Profigold make a very nice VGA lead. MAW is probably the guy to ask.

12. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Oooops - wobble off is in the screensaver section of setup on the Panny.

13. Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pottsy

have now aligned the borders and merged out the checkerbox, lines etc on RGB thru XGA.

One final question - I set the Panny picture to 'Cinema' mode. Is there any downside to this? Or should I keep with Normal?

Cheers,
    UV

14. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm not sure, I just kept everything in Normal. It's also worth noting that the Panny remembers screen size and picture settings for all these different modes, so you may have to re-calibrate (using the brightness and contrast test patterns from the iScan) for each one...

Once your Panny is set up though, you can bin the remote and adjust everything (overscan, brightness, contrast etc) on the Iscan.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    VGAisRGBHV anway so signal is identicalwhther the VGA Input is better than the RGBHV BNC board is going to be close (no difference to eye) any body tried RGBS and YUV for DVD and see a big/small/no difference?

16. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so if I do go for PHD 7 which boards should I go for to future proof, and will scaler be essential

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,468
    Hello Ladypickers

Future proofing in this context is really limited to inputting a Digital video signal (HDMI or DVI) with HDCP compliance - this can be achieved with the TY-42TM6DB (DVI) and TY-FB7HM (HDMI) input boards.

The limitation with the boards is very limited support for 50 Hz signals. The boards only supports 576P(50) - and as SKY HD will be 720P(50) or 1080i(50) your going to have to rely on an external box that can convert SKY HD to either 768P(60) or 576P(50).

If you get an external Processor you wont require any additional boards as all of your analogue sources can plug to the Processor.

Best regards

Joe

18. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get an external Processor you wont require any additional boards as all of your analogue sources can plug to the Processor.

sorry Joe I didnt really understand that, so a scaler is not what u need, my amp will more than likely be Yamaha 750 if that has any relevance

19. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    What Joe is saying is that if you choose to use an external video processor it wll sit between your sources and the display. The display would only need a digital card (dvi or hdmi) which would be fed from the video processor. All your sources would then be fed direct to this external box so there would be no need for any other additional analogue input cards for the plasma.

Gordon

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Infact until you have an HDCP device ie HD there is no reason not to have just the panel (built in VGA) and external processor, an HDMI/DVi input board can be added later...........when required. RGBHV to the VGA terminal is my prefered method with Panasonic/Fujitsu and DVDO Iscan HD/HD+... not played with the luamgenDVi so cant comment about how to wire that up for best results...but if you do prefer the panny picture seems daft to spend nearly £3k on a pioneer........

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Interested to see what settings Panny HD owners are using to get one2one mapping, can you post what settings you have for the following?

Horizontal scan rate
    Horizontal total active
    Horizontal front porch
    Horizontal sync width
    Horizontal back porch
    Vertical refresh rate
    Vertical lines
    Vertical front porch
    Vertical sync width
    Vertical back porch

So have you lot gone SDI then?
    I have had my sdi boards sitting here but the whole thought of having to dig the dvd player and my Sky box out of my system and fight with the miles and miles of cable that gets tangled by the "fat f**kin' cable fairy" 10 mins after I have sorted it was just too much to bear.
    Anyway, I got a new rack last week and decided last night I would have a bash at modding my Philips 963 DVD player as a few people have said that it gives just about the best image from DVD you are going to get.

WOW!!!!!
    Absolutely stunning, it is without doubt superb, I didn't realise how much noise is in the D-A conversion until it was gone, the colours are just incredible, and the blacks are so, so much deeper.
    Even my wife came in and said wow! and beleive me she never pays attenion to anything, but she said it looked great.
    I have played with some pretty good players including top Pioneers, Denons, Panasonic chroma free units, Proceed, Meridians and Tag, but this beats the lot. It is the closest I have seen DVD looking to D-Theater, truly amazing.
    If you have SDI inputs on your scalers order an SDI board and get it modded, stunning!

22. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Oh HD I tried the RGB/H/V vs VGA Vs Component and the RGB/H/V has the edge.

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    RGBHV is the "dogs" mate like to hear how you think it compares to DVi... as everytime i have seen it i preferred RGBHV

24. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    I have not tried DVI on this screen, I have not been over impressed with DVI so far, I think it can do alot for a cheaper player but I still think good analogue is better.
    Or should I say good analogue is better than cheap DVI.

If there is not decent DVI to RGB transcoders about by the time SKY HD launches I will add it out of necessity, but would rather keep the scaling to 1024x768/50 than FRC or downscale to 576p/50.

I am struggling to get my Crystalio 1:1 mapped on my Panny HD6 though, it is almost there, in fact I thought it was until I SDI modded my DVD, now I can see that it is not quite. That is using the Pixel Magic disc. I can find the timings for the PW6/7 and the 50" screens but not the 42" HD screens, and now I know it is not quite there it is annoying me. :)

25. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys god its never ending.

26. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Got my iscan hd sdi board a week ago with scorpion sdi cable from paul. My denon dvd player is currently with elliot @ pj for the sdi mod - hopefully within the week should have full sdi for dvd - can't wait!

This will also allow me to use the free'd up yuv input for my xbox component output

Still using rgbhv from hd to pwd6 but keen to try dvi just to satisfy my own interest...not sure i could live with FRC long term though...

JJ

27. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Just modded my Sky box tonight too, again excellent results.

28. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    cool, wish i was brave enough to do it myself!

JJ

29. vancouver

vancouver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just joined. Have a th-42px2. Anyone connecting an XBOX through their iscan HD to their panny? What have you set the settings of your xbox dashboard to?

30. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Hi there,

I set it to 480p, 720p and 1080i, they all look good.