1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iScan HD+ and Panasonic 50" V7

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by charker, Feb 9, 2005.

1. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have a V7 Panasonic 50PHD7 plasma and have just ordered an iScan HD+ and am looking forward to having a play.

I have the 2-slot 42TM6Y (Component/RGB/SVideo/Composite) board and the usual VGA connector and wondered what was the best analogue connection to use.

I am waiting for an updated HDMI/DVI board from Panasonic that supports 50Hz which I'm sure will arrive eventually. So for now it's analog for me.

If I go VGA-VGA I may have to use RGBHV which limits me to interlaced. Is that correct?

I think there are problems with Component through VGA on these panels. Is that correct?

Otherwise I can go VGA-Component through the 42TM6Y. Is that a good choice?

Anyone using a HD+ on this screen and care to give me some clues as to how it should be set up :)

thanks

Clliff

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
  3. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hornydragon

Good to talk to you again! As you can see the RGB experimentation has good me hooked on picture improvements, or should I say picture improvement and lip sync problems!

I have just spotted that the HD+ will take RGBs which is good, now I have my cable working! Might need to buy a better one though.

A simple VGA-VGA does not allow progressive. Should I worry about that?

Should I go VGA->Component (though BNC's) to get progressive?

This SDI mod to SKY+ looks interesting, I wangled a nice cheap SDI card for the HD+, so I will have to put it to use eventually :)

Cliff

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    cliff RGBHV is progressive mate
    ISF is the way to go mate.....but as you have ordered the Iscan HD+ i think RGBHV to D-sub is best bet

5. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ha, you beat me too it, I had just come to the conclusion that RGB was progressive!!

By ISF, do you mean calibration? Is this something you get from a dealer, presumably the one you buy the HD+ from?

Cliff

6. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Is this ISF something to do with the Lumagen scalers? I went iScan because of the audio delay. Is there a big difference between them?

Cliff

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
  8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    ISF is down to matching your display to your source components and getting the very best out of them!!! using very sophisticated Kit to get all fully working at the very best

9. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    OK, I'll keep these details and when I'v torn most of my hair out trying to set this up myself I will probably call then :)

thanks

Cliff

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    charker

Your going to be waiting an awful long time on an 'updated' HDMI or DVI Input Board.

The TY-42TM6DB (DVI) and TY-FB7HM (HDMI) do support 50hz - 'JUST' not at 720P or 1080i.

If you want to go Digital install either Board and use the HD+ to Frame Rate Convert 50hz to 60hz - its not ideal on all Video material but pretty good on Film.

Configuring your HD+ can be daunting if your not a 'tweaker' - once you get the technicalities as you require and actually get images from all of your sources you then have to ensure the HD+ is talking to the Display in the best way.

After that its plain sailing - you simply have to ensure the Display is colour balanced correctly and then adjust each input on the HD+ to achieve perfection for each source; ten minutes should cover that lot :)

Video Calibration by an ISF accredited technician (read guru if you get a good one!!!) is not unique to Lumagen video processors - it just so happens that one of the most experienced (if not the most experienced) ISF 'technicians' in the UK also happens to distribute Lumagen products in the UK.

See http://www.imagingscience.com

Best regards

Joe

11. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Joe

I heard Panasonic had withdrawn the HDMI card, what do they intend replacing it with?

I'm a born tweaker, half the reason for buying all these toys!

Is there some website where people publish their settings. I'm sure the basic values for things like screen resolution etc could save some time.

I await my new toy with interest.

Cliff

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    Hello Chris

Panasonic Consumer UK have withdrawn the HDMI board - I have no idea if they have plans to replace it or not for the 7 Series Displays.

Panasonic Business Systems UK continue to 'support' and supply the HDMI board - though stock has been somewhat hard to come by :)

I'm told there are NO plans to adapt or update the HDMI board or offer an alternative for the 7 Series Displays.

Your starter for ten is getting a 1024x768 signal into your Display and ensuring there is no resizing going on in the Display - Pottsy posted a good guide (with images) on achieving this last week; do a search on his (or her?) user name.

Best regards

Joe

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    Can I just add some stuff here....

VGA is a computer resolution....it's not a signal format.

RGBHV CAN be interlaced.....it's a signal format that can carry LOTS of resolutions and refresh rates.

HD15 is the name for the connector type labelled PC on the plasma. It has 15 pins in a HIGH DENSITY ...hence HD15. All sorts of signals can go through such a socket.

BNC and RCA terminal boards area avalailable for plasmas and allow connectivity of YPrPb, RGsB, rgbs, rgbhv just like the HD15 (PC) socket.....

ISF Calibration: ISF calibration is to do with adjusting the avalable paramters in your sources and the display so that the whole chain is working as accurately as possible. There are standards set by the EBU and SMPTE as to how the whole recording/repay chain should behave so that when we see something on TV it's as close to what they were trying to record as possible. For many reasons manufacturers don;t send things out working to these specs. Folk like myself and Piers redress this imbalance. It can be a pretty significant difference....

Off for another beer...

EDIT: The RGBHV output of an ISCAN HD may be progressive or interlaced dependant on signal type (ie 1080i). My post was just to show that there is confusion amongst many folk and it's often excaerbated by incorrent use of nomencalture.....I do ti myself...PAL progressive etc... no such thing as PAL progressive....its 576P!