1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iscan HD + and PAL settings?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Demon00, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Demon00

Demon00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys.

Well been playing around with my HD+ but still not totaly saticfied with its preformance.

What framrates are you all using for NTSC and PAL?

And what film mode should I choose for PAL sources?

Please share your settings..

I have this equipment..

Mr Demons system

Regards
    Daniel

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I would select the output format which matches the native resolution of your projector.

As for framerates, if you want to avoid judder, I would recommend locking 50Hz to 50Hz and 60Hz to 60Hz. That is assuming that your PJ can support both.

I tend to disable film mode as I have seen it have strange effects on PAL TV material as different parts of the picture and can be video and some film. These strange effects include a sort of intermittent slowdown or scrolling text which seems to judder or jump.

Sounds like you need an nice ISF man to make the most of your new scaler!!! ;)

Cheers

JJ

3. Demon00

Demon00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jasonjo

Thanks..
    This is more or less what I did last night except the film mode wich Ill do tonight.
    Did you set it to off or the bias?

But What about the 48Hz for NTSC Ive read so much about?

For 50Hz PAL (TV broadcast with component signal) I did get a very good picture yesterday and Im very saticfied with that..(had some of the issues you told me about (the film mode issues!)
    So now Í have the NTSC/PAL settings for the DVI (DVD and D-VHS) to get done tonight..

Will the settings get saved for every input and for PAL and NTSC?

Aint there a way to save setting on the numbers 1-9?

Cheers

BTW JJ.. Yep I need an ISF dude but Im in Sweden and they done exactly grow on trees here! :cool:

4. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Can anyone ISF an ISCanHD+ and Optoma RD50?

I assume Gordon won't touch an IScan system?

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Chris i am pretty sure gordon has calibrated many an Iscan systems.......He just prefer lumagen. Drop Gordon and Piers (piers has an enquiry form on his site www.homecinemaengineering.com) an email and anyone else listed on the ISF site for the UK i am sure they are willing to have a crack at it.

6. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Personally I set film mode to "OFF", but that may just be because I dont fully understand "Film Bias" :) With it OFF, I have never noticed any of the funnies I talked about earlier with PAL sources.

48Hz NTSC is really nice and some people would say to choose this in order to remove any 3:2 pulldown (juddering on pans I think???). I would love to do this, but my display tends to show a little too much flicker at 48Hz, which tends to annoy me more than juddering on NTSC pans. I don't tend to watch much 60Hz stuff anyhow, hence I output 60Hz as 60Hz at the moment.

Settings are 'per input' on the Iscan, but I am pretty sure you can only have a single output format. In a very soon upcoming firmware update DVDO are planning to enable the "Display Profiles" feature you hay have seen in the GUI. This will allow you to define differing output format and switch between them if you want discrete settings for a plasma and PJ for example.

Sorry, didn't spot you were in Sweden - maybe once you master the Iscan you could offer your expertise as a service :cool:

Have you checked out the video processors forum over on www.avsforum.com as they have a lot of DVDO knowledge over there too, especially when considering NTSC stuff.

Cheers

JJ

7. Demon00

Demon00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks..

Did setup everything lastr night and pq is exellent!

TV broadcasts are now smoth and very nice.. A bit depending on the quality of the broadcast ofcause..

REG 1 DVD (NTSC) Here I stayed with the 60Hz since it gave me the best overall picture.

REG 2 DVD (PAL) And here I did lock it to 50Hz

Did a few other adjustments but will go through them later..

Cheers and thanks for the help JJ..

Daniel

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Good news Daniel :thumbsup:

9. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Chris,

Don't bother with the web form on Piers' website, it doesn't work. Just drop him a PM.

I too go for Film Mode off when watching Freeview (DVB-T); with it set to Auto it jumps in and out of film mode the whole time - I think it has something to do with UK video production companies shooting some stuff at 24fps to make it "look" like film...

Daniel, it's a shame your projector won't do 48Hz well, on my plasma NTSC now looks incredible. Miles better than PAL and totally smooth motion. I do suspect that the HD+ is better at processing NTSC though, which is understandable given its home market.

10. Demon00

Demon00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent tryed the 48Hz much but will give it a go one more time tonight...

11. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just watch something with smooth panning in (like the title sequence at the start of The Shining). Switch from 60 to 48 and bingo!