Iscan HD and Laserdisc Player

nathsea

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope you can help as i'm really stuck with this one.

I recently got a Iscan HD from these forums, to allow me to upscale my Laserdisc player.

How should I run the signal, should I go

Laserdisc --- Amp --- Iscan --- PJ

Or

Laserdisc --- Iscan --- Amp --- PJ

Using the composite connection all the way through till it upscales.

Or should I go

Laserdisc - Amp(upconvert to component) --- Iscan --- PJ.

Many Thanks in advance for your help, this has really got me flumoxed.

Or should I just sell the Iscan and let the PJ do the upscaling.

Nathan

Laserdisc --- Amp --- Iscan --- PJ
Laserdisc --- Iscan --- Amp --- PJ
Using the composite connection all the way through till it upscales.

Laserdisc - Amp(upconvert to component) --- Iscan --- PJ.

Or should I just sell the Iscan and let the PJ do the upscaling.

I guess a lot will depend on what equipment and connections you are using and the the balance between quality and convenience. The best route will depend to a very large extent on the quality of the video processing in the DVDO, the amp and the display some how you have to work out which looks best which probably means trial and error.

If i were to make some very risky generalisations I would think that unless the amp and display are high end expensive models then the DVDO may well do the best job of processing in this case

this being the case you might be better routing all your 576 SD video sources through the iscan and leaving the amp for audio

This would mean that the HD and HDMI connections would still go through the amp or direct to the display

Its starting to sound messy now isnt it ...........

If you were happy with every thing before why not just let the HD upscale and deinterlace the video disc and output a high quality signal to your amp that matches the native resolution of your display and use the amp as the switch

Hi

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.. I would say my equipment is definitley bottom end, a Yamaha Amp (cant remember the model number, cheap from RicherSounds) and an Optoma HD70(I think) 720p PJ. As you say I will just have to have a play.

Thanks again
Nathan

Hi

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.. I would say my equipment is definitley bottom end, a Yamaha Amp (cant remember the model number, cheap from RicherSounds) and an Optoma HD70(I think) 720p PJ. As you say I will just have to have a play.

Thanks again
Nathan

Hello Nathan,

I shall need to know more about this when I purchase a scaler at some stage.

So I really hope that the forum members can help myself when I finally get hold of one.

Kindest regards

:lease::rolleyes::hiya::rolleyes:

Last edited:
You only really have to try two setups to see which gives the best picture; LDP to Iscan or LDP to PJ. The difference in PQ will be between the onboard scaler on the PJ and the Iscan (assuming the PJ can display a native input without having to scale it first).

Other factors, such as source switching and audio delay might mean that a less perfect image gives the optimal solution.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom