iscan had problem, help needed!

darkmavis

Prominent Member
Reaction score
just got a nice shiny iscan hd i have a problem though, i cant send a signal via dvi, i (think i) have set it up correctly, (can get an analog signal via 15pin) but then i change the signal to dvi (either dvi choice) i get nothing. i have tried all of the output choices and locked the output to 50 and 60 hertz. i have checked my dvi leads and connection (same input on the pj (ae500) can receive via my dvd (720p) i use the same lead too. i have tried evrything even a factory reset. as i said i can get a signal via analog, not from dvi though. im worried it may have been damadged in transit. any ideas guys???

Hi

I had the same problem when i got mine - dont worry it wont be damaged.

The issue was that the ISCAN HD wouldnt push a picture through my BENQ PE8700 via an Arcam DV79.

When i linked the Arcam up directly with the projector then there was no problem.

Apparantly DVDO say that there is a handshake "issue" with the IScan and the projector and they solved the issue by reverting my Iscan to an earlier version of software then giving me a file to upload via computer.

Its something to do with problems relating to HDCP, the bain of everyones life!!!!

i suspect that the file removes HDCP from the iscan but i dont know this for sure. Regardless it worked after we ran the download

Unfortunately my computer crashed a few months back and i lost the file - just contact the guys at DVDO and they will help.

They were very quick but remember there is a day time delay!

Chris

Is it a HD or a HD+ ?

The HD is not HDCP compliant if I remember correctly, so if your DVD player is outputing via HDMI then you won't receive a signal on the HD. :thumbsdow

Sorry Sorry Sorry

The above is true,

Mine was originally a HD and i had the same problem, i then decided that for 140 euros i would get mine upgraded to a HD+

i sent the iscan to Holland to get this done as the uk imported OWL didnt do it!

This said - i couldnt get it to work when it came back so hence the email to DVDO who then sent me a file

im outputting via component. the inputs are. sky box into component converter into sky. dvd into component 2 outputting std signal. this has got me at my wits end, will get onto dvdo now :D)

how weird, i had a signal for 5 seconds... now nothin again :D(

Hi

Alan here, sent some replies and suggestions via ebay. Hope someone on the forum can help.

Anyone think it might be projector EDID setting related?

cheers

hi mate just emailing you! :D)
heres the answers to your questions

1. do you get the on screen menu up at all?

nope, just a pretty blue screen

2. what make and model is the PJ?
panasonic pt ae500
3. what resolutions have you tried?
all of them from 480 to 1080i
4. what resolutions do you think the PJ should suppport?
its native res is 720p with 1:1 pixel mapping and it will support 1080i

5. have you tried different resolutions/output frequencies on DVIP and DVIV?
yep.

6. have you tried feeding analogue source in and then the various output options, res etc?
tried, component (in both imputs). composite, svidieo, and dvi

its got me stumped mate, ive got it runnining at 720p via 15pin but it says (the pj) wide 720. would really like to get it running through dvi but its looking doubtfull at the mo!
thanks for your help mate!

its no edid mate, tried em both, commonly its eded1 thats used :D)

hd mate

What is the source signal - presumably a DVD player?? whats the make and model?

you will not be able to get a scaled image through the HD box via DVI - the HD box wont allow it but you should be able to get a 576 image via dvi

scouse258 said:
Sorry Sorry Sorry

Mine was originally a HD and i had the same problem, i then decided that for 140 euros i would get mine upgraded to a HD+

i sent the iscan to Holland to get this done as the uk imported OWL didnt do it!

Which company did that for you Chris?

theres 2 inputs.... sky box through a scart to component converter into comp1 and a dvd via component into comp 2. i can get a (great) image thru the vga connection but absolutley Nada thru dvi. cheers guys

i may be wrong as its been a while since i looked but f you look at the DVDO.com website i believe you will see that you can not process an analogue signal through DVI. You should be able to process a DVI/HDMI to DVI signal though. If you want to updscale an analogue signal you need an HD+ box mate. you may wish to use the link above to JVB to upgrade

i discovered this "flaw" after i had bought one and was therefore pushed to upgrading

From the DVDO website:
The iScan HD can deinterlace standard definition interlaced (480i/576i) signals on its analog inputs and scale progressive (480p/576p) signals, but it can not scale high definition (720p/1080i) signals. The component inputs of the iScan HD will automatically convert to pass-through mode if the incoming signal is a high definition format, and will send the input signal through to the analog output unchanged.

Note that the iScan HD does not perform analog transcoding - i.e., it will not convert a pass-through HD analog input in YPbPr to RGB on the output. If your HDTV signal is in YPbPr format it will appear that way at the analog output as well. If the signal is in RGBHV format, then it will be RGBHV at the output as well. Further, the iScan HD will not transcode an HD component signal (720p/1080i) to the DVI output.

Replacing the converter with a scart to RGBs lead (4 phono) would help too.

ok now im confused. i thought the converter was the best way to go (after advice elswehere) but the quote you provided is for hd material through the dvi?? im not inputting hd material just std signalls? is this not meaning that a hi def composite singal wont be changed?

darkmavis said:
ok now im confused. i thought the converter was the best way to go (after advice elswehere) but the quote you provided is for hd material through the dvi?? im not inputting hd material just std signalls? is this not meaning that a hi def composite singal wont be changed?
try setting your DVD player to interlaced output ( i recon if you hook it up S-video it would work) or is the HD DVi socket passthrough only for digital? cant remember

Via both DVI and analogue inputs the HD will scale 480i/p and 576i/p to the DVI o/p. When you get to higher resolutions the DVI passes thru to DVI or analogue and the analogue will just pass thru to analogue. (The VGA in will only output via the VGA out - the HD's biggest design flaw.)

Drop out the convertor because the HD is a convertor that'll do a better job and if you're using a VGA or DVI output there is less of a leap from RGBs to RGBHV.

Follow Hornys advice for the DVD player.

Getting a picture is more than half the battle with this scaler. It gets a lot easier once you can 'see' what you are doing.

you should/should have upgraded to a hd+ which upscales all analogue and digital through DVI

i made the same mistake originally

Darkmavis,

Replies from another forum on the problem including from Josh @ DVDO

GE Brown
There are so many possibilities here, but I'll try.

The iScan HD will not process any HD signal and then output it on the DVI port. So if your friend is feeding the iScan 720p or 1080i on either the component or DVI inputs, then he must use the DVI pass-through port for output.

However, he CAN give the iScan a 480i or 480p, process it and scale it to his heart's content and output that processed signal on either the component or the DVI ports.

This is my best guess as to the source of the problem.

Hope this helps

Josh
I think GEBrown is correct about the cause of this issue.

It sounds like your friend is currently not using the iScan HD at all to process the signal, it is purely acting like a very intelligent RCA coupler. If you input 720p to the component input of the iScan HD, this signal will be passed through to the component output only and there will be no processing of any kind done by the iScan. The best way for him to set up his DVD player would be to output 480i over component video and then the iScan will deinterlace and scale the signal to any output resolution on either the analog or DVI outputs. The optimal setup for all sources is to output the actual resolution of the content, so that the source does minimal processing of the signal.

Go here to ask Josh more question:-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=704066

regards
Alan

thanks alan! but i am inputting a 480i signal into the dvdo. i merely upped the res to 720p to test the dvi input of the projector. :D)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom