iscan for crt projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Coolbex, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Coolbex

Coolbex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looking for advice on which iscan if any would improve my picture on my seleco svp400ht crt projector i have a arcam dv27 on componenet connections and sky+ on composite and xbox360 on svhs.
    my projector resolututions is 640x480

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hi,

You should be able to get a plus or an ultra quite cheaply. If I remember correctly, I think that some of the early ones may not do PAL. A Lumagen Vision would do a similar job although it might cost a bit more as it'll upscale past 480p. iScans and Lumagens come up on the classifieds reasonably often ... or post something up in the wanted section.

Brian

3. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Well known search engine, UK pages, search 'Lumagen Vision Pro Video Scaler'

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Coolbex,
    An iScan Pro is a great solution for the 400. The deinterlacing quality knocks spots off the Seleco internal line doubler. You'll see far more detail. The other reason it is (IMO) the best choice is because of size.

At approx' the same size as two stacked DVDs it is small enough to sit on top of the projector if you are using the Seleco ceiling bracket. This means you can add an iScan Pro without having to run a new VGA cable from your sources to the projector. The install will take about 10 minutes.

iScan Ultra is the second choice. This is the same width as a DVD player so you'll probably need to run a long VGA cable. It still outputs 480p & 576p same as the Pro. The advantage of the Ultra is it has a remote control and it can do Aspect Ratio Control. This feature comes in to it's own if you have a Laser Disc collection or lots of DVDs that are Letterbox non-anamorphic. Picture performance between the Pro and the Ultra is the same.

Lumagens are lovely. If you fancy getting the 400 colour balanced to D65 then a Lumagen will help tremendously. I recently set up a guys Seleco 800 with a Lumagen Vision and then did the colour balance with my calibration kit. The picture on his 10ft Stewart screen has to be seen to be believed - it's gorgeous.

I've calibrated 400's & 500's with prog scan players and external line doublers, but I'd love to get my hands on one with a Lumagen just to see what is really possible.

Regards