iscan for crt projector?

Coolbex

Standard Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice on which iscan if any would improve picture on my seleco svp400ht crt projector at moment running arcam dvd27 on component connections sky+ box composite and xbox360 svhs.
projector resolututions 640x480.

How much do you want to spend? You could do quite well out of a vp20/30 with abt102 card. I'm not sure the vp20 has analog out though.

Thanks for your reply i have asked several firms about vp/30 with abt102 card but no one seems to have any knowelege of crt projectors money is no problem i just want the best picture for my system have you used this scaler or would a lumagen hdp be even better than your suggestion.

Hi

If the projector can only do 640x480 (or presumably 576p) then anything advanced is a bit of overkill. I'd stick with the suggestions made by Chris Frost on the crt forum as he knows Seleco projectors pretty well.

Brian

Yeah I don't know what he recommended, but you still want good deinterlacing and maybe some future proofing. Price of a vp30+abt might be a bit OTT though, that's why I asked aobut budget. HDP would be fine too although last time I checked, it wasn't as good with PAL material?

Not sure that the type of projector matters too much, 480p is 480p, no?

Choddo,

Chris Frost suggested an iScan Pro or Ultra (for aspect ratio control) or a Lumagen Vision Pro. On a crt projector, different models can handle different resolutions, so Chris will have a good idea about what processor is best suited to each particular model.

Personally, I'm not sure that there is much point in "future proofing" with a more expensive video processor as models change so quickly these days. Since the projector can only handle 480p (or 576p) then there isn't much point in spending ~£1k on all of that upscaling capability. I agree that while a VP30 probably represents better deinterlacing (I haven't seen one to comment), I'd imagine that the improvements made in going from the internal scaler on the projector to a second hand iScanPro/Ultra or Lumagen Vision Pro are a much more cost effective measure.

Brian

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom