iscan for crt projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Coolbex, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Coolbex

Coolbex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for advice on which iscan if any would improve picture on my seleco svp400ht crt projector at moment running arcam dvd27 on component connections sky+ box composite and xbox360 svhs.
    projector resolututions 640x480.

2. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    How much do you want to spend? You could do quite well out of a vp20/30 with abt102 card. I'm not sure the vp20 has analog out though.

3. Coolbex

Coolbex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply i have asked several firms about vp/30 with abt102 card but no one seems to have any knowelege of crt projectors money is no problem i just want the best picture for my system have you used this scaler or would a lumagen hdp be even better than your suggestion.

4. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hi

If the projector can only do 640x480 (or presumably 576p) then anything advanced is a bit of overkill. I'd stick with the suggestions made by Chris Frost on the crt forum as he knows Seleco projectors pretty well.

Brian

5. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Yeah I don't know what he recommended, but you still want good deinterlacing and maybe some future proofing. Price of a vp30+abt might be a bit OTT though, that's why I asked aobut budget. HDP would be fine too although last time I checked, it wasn't as good with PAL material?

Not sure that the type of projector matters too much, 480p is 480p, no?

6. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Choddo,

Chris Frost suggested an iScan Pro or Ultra (for aspect ratio control) or a Lumagen Vision Pro. On a crt projector, different models can handle different resolutions, so Chris will have a good idea about what processor is best suited to each particular model.

Personally, I'm not sure that there is much point in "future proofing" with a more expensive video processor as models change so quickly these days. Since the projector can only handle 480p (or 576p) then there isn't much point in spending ~£1k on all of that upscaling capability. I agree that while a VP30 probably represents better deinterlacing (I haven't seen one to comment), I'd imagine that the improvements made in going from the internal scaler on the projector to a second hand iScanPro/Ultra or Lumagen Vision Pro are a much more cost effective measure.

Brian