1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iScan - Feedback

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jhjerpe, Jul 23, 2003.

?
  1. Dramatic improvement

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Good improvement

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. Not much

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. No improvement

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    After several hours of reading posts on the iScan ultra I still can' decide if I should shell out the cash for it.

I have a Panasonic 5 series 42" hooked up to Sky via a JS tech Scart RGB component convertor. DVD duties are taken care of by a Harman Kardon DVD25.

My primary reason for looking at the iScan was to improve the SKY picture quality.

Any (more) iScan feedback?

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Your experience may vary if you have either TH-42PHD5 (1024x768 pixels) or Panasonic TH-42PW5 (852x480 pixels).

If you have the latter, you may find that some of the benefits of iScan Ultra -- creating a very nice 576p picture -- are lost when the screen scales the 576 line PAL progressive scan image down to 480 rows.

If I were you I'd get a demonstration rather than rely on a poll and potentially be disappointed.

StooMonster

3. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    It's the 42PW5 I’ve got (852 x 480).

Plan (a) was to get a demo, but I've yet to find anyone that has the iScan and a 852 x 480 panel to demo. I've only been able to find the iScan on-line so far. I know av-sales.com have got them but they are quite a drive and not open on Saturdays according to the web site.

Plan (b) was the poll, nothing serious - but I thought the feedback would be interesting!

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or find a dealer who will do a home loan of one for you.

i use mine with a toshiba plasma (panny 4 clone)
    i found it hard to notice the differance till there was some sport on tv,dont watch many films on tv. ive even pluged the interlased output of my dvd player into it as i find it does a better job than the progressive output of the dvd player.

will add a bit of lip sync though i found

5. zmbq

zmbq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because my vote is 'iScan made things worse'.

I had an iScan Ultra installed yesterday, connected to my DVD player and stallite box with S-Video connections, and to my Fujitsu P50XHA with a DVI cable.

The picture is actually worse with the iScan than it is without. There's a lot of flicker in the background, and I don't seem to be able to get rid of it. It's only apparent in the background when it's slightly out of focus (mainly clear walls), but it's very noticable and extremely disturbing.

It is most noticable in TV broadcasts, but it also happens when watching DVD movies. It's not a problem with the S-Video cables, because using the same cables I get an amazing picture when I bypass the iScan Ultra.

It might be a defective box, or maybe a bad DVI cable, although I honestly can't see how a defective cable can affect a digital signal this way. It seems as if the iScan can't decide exactly what shade of gray the walls should be in, so instead of using a shade in between the two shades, it alternates the two.

Anyone else experienced such strange behaviour?

6. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zmbq

it might be that your plasma has alis screen and i think they behave better with a interlased picture rather than a progressive one

7. zmbq

zmbq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but my plasma doesn't have an ALiS screen. Atleast as much as I know.

8. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    arh sorry thought the fujitsu did:) :)

9. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Fujitsu P50XHA is the same glass as Panny5 50" but with Fujitsu's internal's rather than Panasonics.

This model includes Fujitsu's AVM advanced digital video signal processor -- which could be conflicting with iScan Ultra's Silicon Image SiI504 chipset.

Is this with PAL progressive via DVI, as some screens do not support this properly.

StooMonster

10. zmbq

zmbq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it is, but the problem is noticable when viewing NTSC DVDs as well (although you really have to stand next to the TV to notice it then).

Is switching to an analog connection going to improve things?

11. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It might be worth checking the way that the screen handles the input. I've got a P50 and briefly tried an Ultra when I got the screen. I used the VGA connection because I didn't have a DVI cable at the time and made sure to set one of the parameters (I'm at work so I can't tell you which) to RGB-PC, which I assumed by-passed the AVM processor (although I was only guessing). This would hopefully stop the image being double-processed which could actually degrade it.

I must admit that I didn't see any real improvement - the picture was maybe a bit sharper but seemed somehow flatter, if that makes sense. And the audio delay was too annoying.

One thing I regret is that I didn't try it for very long with Sky. I spent most of the test (one night before I had to send it back) playing with the DVD source. I've since upgraded my DVD and am extremely happy with the picture from that, but I still feel that there's room for improvement sometimes on Sky (presumably when the bandwidth is low).

I'm waiting until I hear from someone that they have a scaler that works well with Sky and the P50 before I try again. And hopefully by then there'll be more amplifiers with audio-delay features.

Cheers,
    Ian.

12. zmbq

zmbq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried using a VGA connection this morning (unplugged the monitor from my PC. I have waaaay too many cables at home :cool: ). It makes absolutely no difference - the DVI and VGA both look the same (which rules out a problem with the DVI cable, at least).

This option you speak of, it's in the TV's configuration menus, right? I'll try it tonight, but first I need to make sure the dealer will take the iScan back next week, too. I don't want to get stuck with a $1,000 box that does nothing but pick up dust.

I didn't notice any lip-sync problems when going through the Ultra, though. Perhaps I'm not that sensitive to them, or perhaps the flashing background annoyed me more...

13. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Until I manage to find a place for a demo I think I will put the iScan towards the bottom of my AV wish list.... to many things to get! :)

14. zmbq

zmbq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A demo is always important.

I emailed DVDO today with a description of my problem. I got a very quick and helpful response from one of their tech-support representitives. He said I should try to connect the iScan Ultra to my display with a VGA-to-Component adapter.

I will test it next week, when the dealer supplies me with such a cable.

I didn't read even one bad review about the iScan Ultra, and I'm pretty sure it's a good piece of equipment (I'm also quite pleased with the response I'm getting both from DVDO and their local dealer here). I'm pretty sure I'll get this cleared up by the end of next week. And if not, DVDO has a 30-day money-back guarantee. I can always return it.