Iscan connection question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by HeweyBoy101, Oct 29, 2004.

1. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Have just installed my new iscan HD. Very pleased - massive improvement all round - even with an Alis panel !!!

One question. I don't have any DVI input sources at present. If I were to upgrade myDVD player to one with DVI (or HDMI) output, will the iscan accept and process / scale the DVI input, and then output via analogue VGA. I'm thinking that possibly if the input is DVI then the output must be the same format ?? The manual doesn't seem to cover this. Assuming however that this is possible, would there likely be further quality improvements as a result?

The only other comment I have ref the iscan is the manual. It's fine for a quick set up. However, as someone who is new to video processing, I would have liked a more in depth explanation as to the various test signals, and how to actually use them!. It's all very well saying "this test signal is useful to match the iscan output to your display resolution", but when I am looking at the test signal I'd like to know what the heck am I looking for !!! Similar situation as regards framerate adjustment. Interesting that you can adjust the framerate, but it would help to have some explanation as to why and when you might want to do so, and what are the benefits?

Any help and guidance greatfully received - thanks.

2. Export Strength

Export Strength
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Unfortunatly your iscan will not accept an HDMI/DVI feed from a DVD player as it doesn't have HDCP copy protection. It would however allow you to pass this signel through using the bypass facility if it was connected to a monitor with a DVI input - allow for video switching. The new HD+ iscan - for which there will be an upgrade for owners of the original HD - address' this issue.
    If you upgrade you will be able to process digital video and output in analogue via the VGA port.
    As for your issues with the instruction manual I agree! it's not the most informative around. The reason is due to the nature of the product. As you have found video technology is pretty advanced stuff, the manual would be two inches thick in order to cover everything in any detail. These products should only be sold through shops with staff capable of decoding the technology for there clients. Excuse the proffesional dig!
    The frame rate conversion is very useful, it allows you to match output resolutions and frame rates in order to overcome compatability issues with monitors. Also if you have a monitor that accepts higher frame rates it is possible to produce a picture with more fluid motion.

Hope this helps, good luck.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    HeweyBoy101

Lots of things to cover in your post.

You may need to have a serious chat with your supplier!

If you consider 'compatibility' with an HDMI or DVI with HDCP source to be crucial for you now is possibly not the time to purchase a DVDO iScanHD.

As Export Strength points out the iScanHD+ is only just around the corner and this does support HDCP sources/displays.

I've not had an update from the UK distributor as yet but the HD should now have a lower SRP and dealers should be expecting HD+ in December (same SRP as the HD has been up until now).

Do however bear in mind that no video processor or DVD player can legally strip the HDCP encryption from a Digital HDMI or DVI signal and output unencrypted Digital or Analogue video from the input stream.

If you input an HDCP encrypted source into the HD it will simply pass it through unaltered. Stick the same HDCP encrypted source into the HD+ and you will have the option to scale and process the signals (as you do with non encrypted Digital and Analogue signals) before re-encrypting the signal and outputting it in your favoured SD or HD format.

Best regards

Joe

PS The manual only covers the basics that were available in the initial batch of iScanHD - subsequent Firmware revisions make the manual all but useless.

There are addendums on the DVDO website - see http://www.dvdo.com/faq/faq_pro_man.html

4. Simon Cooper

Simon Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HeweyBoy,

As a recent (and slightly disappointed) buyer of an ALIS plasma screen, I have been following your progress with the iScan HD with some interest.

I'm hoping you could answer a couple of questions about your experiences:-

Did you manage to source a scart to 4 RCA (RGB + composite) cable?
    If so, where did you find it, what settings (output resolution, etc) did you use with it and how did the Sky+ results compare to an s-video input?

Any further advice or guidance you could provide would be gratefully received.

TIA,

Simon

5. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I purchased a scart adaptor from Keene Electronics (basically a scart block with 4 RCA out - RGB + composite sync. Couldn't get it to work though - picture was tinged yellow. Spoke with local dealer (Audio T in Brighon). He said that they had NEVER known anyone get scart to RGBS to work properly. Yes there are people who say they have succeeded, but if a dealer like Audio T has not seen results then I didn't hold out much hope myself!

So, I have reverted to to S-Video which is Ok. I've also returned the iscan HD as in the end, although there were some improvements, it just couldn't justify the £1k cost. I'm now using my original iscan pro, via S-video, using my AV amp for switching, and with DVD connected direct with component cables. Both Freeview and Sky are very watchable on S-Video - I also found that there were some useful adjustments on my Philips Alis panel, burried in the VGA setup menu, in particular pixel pitch, whic helped a great deal.

I now can't stand watching anything in Pixel Plus mode - it looks overly processed, with almost constant annoying artifacts. Best option is via iscan pro, and although resolution is lower, the picture is much more natural, blacks are blacker, there are hardly any artifacts, even on the poorer "low rent" satellite channels. I find I watch the programme now, and not the picture - if that makes sense !

You should be able to pick up an iscan pro cheaply - it should make a big improvement on your Alis panal. Then enjoy, and wait a couple of years and save the big spend for new HD panel when appropriate sources and formats are available, and prices are lower.

Hope this helps.

6. Steve Rollings

Steve Rollings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just swapped my Cinematiq scaler for a Iscan HD (thanks Liam) , better picture and easier to set up. I have a RBG scart from a Panasonic E100 DVD recorder to a 4 phono and it works perfectly ( I have a panny series 4 plasma) , just make sure you put the sync into the sync phono rather than the composite video.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    HeweyBoy101

Your 'source' at AudioT is way off the mark - myself (and others I'm sure) have plenty of SCART TO 4RCA and 4BNC cables in stock and no problems whatsoever getting RGB into an iScanHD.

Best regards

Joe