1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iScan and Pixel Matching

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ultraviolet, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello

can anyone clarify the tests on the iScan HD? what are the objectives of each?

for example, with the checkerbox, vertical lines etc., is the objective to adjust picture size until you get a grey screen or until the lines become as clear as possible? and what about the other tests?

I realise this is simple stuff, but just want to ensure my understanding is correct - and the iScan manual is less than helpful.....

appreciate any thoughts from the pros out there...

UV

2. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Make sure the Iscan is set at your display's native resolution.

The Horizontal Lines are for setting the vertical size on your display. Change the vertical size until you see no moire:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last pic is how it should look. No need to tilt your head though (!), I had to do this to stop the digital camera creating a moire of its own...

Do the same using the Vertical Lines pattern, and the horizontal size control on your display.

Then choose the pattern with the blue rectangles and the border. Move the image using your display controls until you see all of the outer border all the way round (which will be bang on the edge because you got perfect pixel mapping using the previous procedure).

Then use the brightness/contrast pattern to set the brightness control (2 dark bars just visible).

Then use the grey ramp pattern to get a nice contrast. Note that the grey ramp pattern has solid white and solid black at either end - you shouldn't quite see those and you should see a nice smooth transition from black to white.

The judder pattern confirms (by smooth movement) that you are sending a frame rate that the display is NOT having to re-convert.

The rest are for use with calibration equipment.

HTH

PS Anyone feel free to correct me, but this is how I understand the setup process to be!

3. Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pottsy

many thanks for an excellent reply - that's confirmed a few things for me.

The slightly strange thing is, once I've set frame / geometry, I still get a thin vertical black line down the side of the screen (usually on the left) when watching Sky (both live and on Sky+). This seems to vary from channel to channel, and sometimes won't appear at all. If I change the size / alignment on the PHD7 to get rid of it, then check back with the HD, the frame / geomatry is badly out of kilter....

have you also experienced this?

Neil

4. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just set up the Panny / HD+ correctly as I explained above. Never touch again (though you may have to repeat this for different input types/frequencies.

To get rid of the black bar, go to overscan on the HD+ - I use a setting of about 5. Do all further setting on the Iscan. For example, setting up a DVD player, set brightness and contrast (when using a test disc) on the HD+. You will normally have to set overscan to between 3 and 5.

5. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    UV, can you do me a favour?

Go to the judder pattern in the Iscan (white bar moving left to right). Sit at a normal distance and quickly move your eyes from the left hand side of the screen to the right hand side of the screen. Repeat - back and forth. Do you see orange and/or blue flashes in the black part of the screen?

6. Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Pottsy

one final question - have you noticed any degredation in PQ from ramping up the overscan? this was my main concern in taking this option?

Neil

7. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, kind of yes and kind of no. The "advantage" you get at overscan 0 is offset by the fact that you're seeing stuff you shouldn't see (including black bars). So at overscsan 4 or so, you're seeing the most you're meant to see at the best available PQ. Even at overscan 5 on a test pattern, you're right out to about 3.5% which is perfect.

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Nice summary Pottsy, pictures always explain a thousand words!!! :thumbsup:

Cheers

JJ

9. Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pottsy

further to your earlier reply about the judder, the moving vertial line is very clear and tracks smoothly. I cannot see any colours in the black area.

However, if I track my eyes in the opposite direction to the moving bar, I do see orange / blue flashes (roughly in a vertical band) in the black part of the screen. This is very instantaneous, only for a split second when my eye meets the white bar coming in the other direction.
    Does this indicate an issue with the Panny, the iScan or my vision?
    UV

10. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  11. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Pottsy,

Any chance of a picture of your M&K's?

I am thinking of getting the K series (K7 or K17 + K4's) and would like to see them in situ. (noticed a peek of them in your piccies above ;) )

Cheers matey :thumbsup:

JJ