1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iscan and Pioneer 504 ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ratoban, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, i`m wondering what would be the best way to use an iscan ultra (or hd ) with the pioneer, bearing in mind that the av3 channel on this set is component OR hdmi ( i have the 868 hdmi link already in use).
    I have sky + and a dvd recorder (ps2 also ? ) to try and improve quality on and connection wise it`s a nightmare. If the ultra outputs progressive scan, is component connection the only way to imput it? or can the pc input support progressive?.
    Any thoughts or alternative solutions gratefully received.
    Rob.

2. TimG-Kent

TimG-Kent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob, as far as I'm aware, PC Monitor inputs don't have such as a thing as 'interlaced' or 'progressive' and just have a refresh of 60Hz.

I think this means that it effectively is a 60Hz Progressive input (refreshing the WHOLE screen 60 times a second). I may be wrong though.

So, in answer to you question, yes, I think you can use the PC input instead of AV3.

Let me know, because I'm planning on getting the 504 with an iScan for PS2 / Xbox / Sky.

Tim.

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    PC monitor inputs are progressive, 60Hz is the most common vertical refresh rate but many support from 50Hz through 85Hz (my plasma) or up to 160Hz (my desktop's monitor).

iScan Ultras work just fine with a VGA socket.

StooMonster

4. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies, i am certainly going down this route, the only thing now is which way to go, ultra,hd or wait n see if they bring out one with hdmi (or others like Lumagem?).
    Rob.:D

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hello Rob

It looks like the DVDO UltraHD would have to live on the HD15 input on your R04 Media Box as the DVI out on the UltraHD does not generate an HDCP output on 'Converted' signals so your R04 HDMI input will reject the signal.

The UltraHD will pass through an HDCP signal from your DVD player - though this would prove pretty pointless in your system.

The UltraHD wont be that much more money in your system as the Ultra requires you to convert all your RGB signals to YUV before they hit the Ultra whilst the UltraHD takes in Interlaced RGB or YUV. (and the UltraHD has quite a few extra processing and set-up features over the Ultra)

I'm sure the UltraHD is just the start of a new 'generation' of external processors - though I expect anything that exceeds the UltraHD spec will also exceed its price tag by a fair few quid!!!

Best regards

Joe

6. Dale Adams

Dale Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Joe,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Could you provide some more detail on exactly what the problem is? Thanks.

- Dale Adams

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hello Dale

It means I was being a pillock at 03.00 AM!!!

So Ratoban - now that I've got my brain in gear just hook the HDMI out of the DV-868AVi to one of the DVI ins on the UltraHD then connect the UltraHD to the HDMI in on your R04 Media Box and away you go.

I guess you'll want to have a play with the output settings for the converted signals to see which gives the best results with the R04; the HDCP encoded signal from the DV-868AVi will bypass the processing in the UltraHD and pass straight through to the HDMI input on the R04.

Best regards

Joe

8. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Joe, i appreciate the reply, thats just the information i needed.
    Rob.

9. hemp3

hemp3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone got the iscan and pioneer 504 working together I cant get a picture on mine at all.