1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isacan hd to TH-42PHD7

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nicke20, Feb 6, 2005.

1. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    well purchase time is close now (week off work booked to redecorate after ripping room apart) and my plasma of choice is the TH-42PHD7. After a demo of an iscan hd+ on this screen i decided thats what i should have or should it be the hd version ?
    anyway what is the most sensible way of feeding the iscan to the plasma ?
    seeing as i have to order boards and cables at the same time.
    the only inputs are sky+ and dvd via component

cheers

Nick

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i would go with HD+, DVD component at 576i and Sky+ via RGB+sync (sdi mod can wait a few months)
    how you go to screen is up to you i would go RGBHV in to VGA socket, or can go DVi (again more future proof) how long will cable between Iscan and panel be? and are you wall mounting?

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    nicke20

DVDO iScanHD if your only ever going to Process Analogue or Unencrypted Digital sources and the iScanHD+ if you want the ability to also Process a limited range of Encrypted (HDCP) Digital sources.

See http://www.dvdo.com/faq/faq_ishd.html#faq_hd2

So spend the extra on the HD+ if you want a bit of future proofing.

Whichever unit you go for I'd install the HDMI or DVI Board in the Display and connect from the Video Processor to the Display with both a Digital (DVI or HDMI) and an Analogue (HD15[VGA]) cable - you then have maximum flexibility as far as signal matching with the Display.

As Horny say you'll require a SCART to 4RCA cable for SKY+ and a 3RCA to 3RCA cable for the DVD player.

Best regards

Joe

4. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Did wonder what the point of the hd+ was seeing as i wouldnt be able to feed an hdcp signal into the PHD7 (the hd can be upgraded into an hd+ in the future i think ?)

digital AND analogue cables to the panel !!! :eek:
    i was hoping for a small cost saving and yes its going to be wall mounted and all cables fed under wall (3 to 4 meter)

a few last questions before i go the whole hog,
    is the pw8 about to be announced,
    did anybody buy that hdcp to component converter thingy and try it ?
    am i kidding myself with an it will be allright on the night attitude towards sky hd

Cheers

Nick

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    nicke20

The PHD7 fitted with the Optional DVI or HDMI Board is HDCP compatible - though you do have to ensure the Boards accept the source signal your looking to input.

The long term 'issue' with the Boards is an inability to support 720P or 1080i at 50Hz.

There's no mention of HD to HD+ upgrades being available to our UK customers in anything I've ever received from DVDO's UK distributor.

A decent quality 3 to 4m HD15(VGA) cable wont cost a fortune!

The Trade Launch of the 8 Series panels will be some time around Sept 05 - though stock for sale may arrive later depending on what the stock situation with 7 Series panels looks like. Keep in mind the PWD7 was held back until Jan 05.

With a decent Video Processor installed between SKY HD and the PHD7 DVI or HDMI Video Board you can convert a 720P(50) signal to a 768P(60) signal for 1:1 Pixel Mapping to the 1024x768 pixel array with Frame Rate Conversion from 50hz to 60hz.

How acceptable (or not) you find the Frame Rate Conversion on the image you see on screen will depend on the Source material (Film or Video) and the Video Processor you use.

We find the majority of customers find 576i(50) from a current SKY box is more than acceptable Output as 768P(60) into a PHD7.

Best regards

Joe

6. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nick,

Option 1 "Never need Sky HD"
    VGA cable (48/50/60Hz), Iscan HD, SDI input board, Mark Grant Scart -> 4 phono for RGB input.

Option 2 "Might need Sky HD"
    VGA cable for all but Sky, HD+, DVI card for Sky. DVD in by DVI (check you get a DVD player that can output 576i / 480i via DVI, and wait for the promised firmware update).

Get an HD+ now, stick with VGA, consider SDI. You will enjoy SDI, I can assure you! Only bother with the DVI card when Sky appears - you never know by then Panasonic might make one that works properly!!

Do you remember the jerky to smooth we got by going from NTSC 60Hz to 48Hz? Well, with the DVI card everything will change, but the other way round...

Now keep R happy and do the decorating!

PS Am owed a "free" DVI card, so will keep you updated on the real difference once I get it.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Would need SDi mod to Sky box as well (Sky+ V1) or DVD player or both......

And there is main board mod for HD>HD+ only place listed on DVDO site in Europe is in netherlands but I assume OWL will be able to do it.......

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    HD - is that http://www.jvbdigital.com ? They ship to/deal with UK owners and offer a board upgrade looking at their website - €399.00 for HD to HD+.

http://www.jvbdigital.com/jvb.asp?cur=1&level=sdi&page=title&title=207

If buying from new, probs best to spend the extra couple of hundred quid and get the HD+ I guess...

JJ

9. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    As an aside, I should be getting the SDI board for my HD tomorrow.

My Denon is already on the way to Els @ PJ Hifi as we speak for the SDI mod, so should be fully SDI'd for DVD by mid next week...can't wait :cool:

This will also free up one of the YUV inputs and allow me to connect another source as opposed to daisy chaining ;)

JJ

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    nicke20

If your wall mounting and burying cables then even more reason to stick Analogue (RGBHV) and Digital (DVI) cables in the wall - you may also want to stick a Control cable (RS232) in when your at it.

Best regards

Joe

PS Or stick with VGA as Pottsy suggests - and hope he doesn't like DVI when it arrives :)

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    €399 + decent courier both ways....£ soon adds up, Go for HD+ now gonna be quite a bit cheaper (i would have thought) in long run.
    I wonder are there any FV boxes that can be SDi modded??? Pace twin perhaps?

12. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    if the pace twin can be modded Pottsy will have had it done :laugh:
    any way boys im trying to get the final specs on an out of the box last me for years plasma and the thought struck me I could have a six series in the bedroom kitchen and lounge for this money :eek:
    I do appreciate the advice

Pottsy have you had piers round yet ? or is it gordon ? and the result

13. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have looked into the Pace Twin SDI mod.... Trouble is all the chips are buried under a heatsink, that needs the main board taking out, which needs all the i/o parts taking out, so I stopped there. No too bothered, since the pic now is much better than all the artefacts, MPEG smearing and so on. I suspect that SDI would make these even more visible. Might just start roaming ebay for an old box though....

Piers, tomorrow.

14. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Piers has done his stuff.

Black crush now gone, so details in dark areas have appeared! Picture brighter, more natural, faces look better. Very happy.

Piers also has a 42PHD7. He has come to the same conclusion - stick with VGA. Though there is a rumble that 50Hz might be possible via DVI, using Lumagen, and black magic (ie the timings worked on one screen but not another). We shall see in the next couple of days.

For anyone considering ISF - do it!

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    I'm off to see Piers this evening to find out why his mystery plasma wont work with the 576@50 timings I got workinG with everything else.......tomorrow will bring enlightenment grasshopper.

G