Is your sky+ box noisy?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by andrewmellor, Jul 18, 2003.

1. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi,
    Just had sky+ fitted yesterday its the v2 box and the fan that's running all the time can be heard fairly clearly when the rooms quiet....is this normal?
    It's not that intrusive but certainly audible when no tv 'noise' is there......suppose I'll soon get used to it though!!

That small issue aside though it's great, even the wife was pausing Emmerdale and recording Eastenders last night and she still wouldn't be able to record with the 5 year old video;)

cheers..Andrew

2. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SKY+ is noisey. It still bugs me even though it's in a cabinet with doors........

3. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Cheers Gary,
    Thought as much but just wanted to check it's 'normal'
    Long scart and a magic eye might be order of the day if it starts to get on my nerves too much!
    cheers...Andrew

4. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Despite the noise problem I still think SKY+ is almost perfect from a usefulness and ergonomic point of view. My 3 year old regulary pauses and records programs she wants to see later coz she's "busy".

It's possibly the best gadget I own (even better than a Lexicon MC-12 ?)

Cheers
    Gary

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Perhaps I've just got lucky but my SKY+ box (V1) is almost totally silent. It's in a cabinet with no doors and even if I stand next to it with no sound on the TV, I can't hear any noise from the box.

John

6. Just_Dabbling

Just_Dabbling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only just had my v2 box installated and the fan makes no noise at all, there is a very faint hard disk noise, but no fan.

I'm starting to get a little worried becuase it is in a cabinet with doors and its quite hot to touch !

Wierd !

7. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree

mine makes no noise whatsoever .

8. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was a very early adopter..... I'm wondering if I should get the latest digibox... it really is an irritating whine of a sound.

9. rcmacc

rcmacc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats probally because the fan almost never comes on! Until recently I had only heard mine once and that was when it was very hot last year.
    I've since modified mine so the fan is on permanently, but fed from the 5 volts so it runs quite slowly and is quiet.

Rob

10. eMonk

eMonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I first got my v2 box, the fan was on constantly and was quite noisy but the box was cool. However, it seems now to have stopped (never seems to come on) and whilst the box is now fairly quiet, it does get very hot.

Dunc.

11. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Mine was the same...noisy when first installed then after a couple of weeks, the fan never comes on at all, and is now totally silent.

and must add what a great bit of kit this Sky+ is

12. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i totally agree that $ky+ is a great piece of kit, although i have had a couple of minor problems with it. never had to call customer service thank god, since they seem to give mcdonald's staff a good name!! however, the fan is quite noisey. during general vieing, i don't really notice it, but in quiet moments it can suddenly come on and annoy me! it's particularly noticeable when i'm using text and have the sound muted. all things considered though, this slight noise is very happily offset by all those delightful recording functions and dolby 5.1 sound! all we need now is more widescreen, more 5.1 (hello bbc) and dual recording. ok, that's quite a bit, but none of it's unreasonable, right? i mean, austria gets 5.1 on sports events for someone or other's sake!

13. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can't hear anything from mine even when the flat is quiet, the fan is running because I can feel it blowing out the back of the box but I can't hear it.

14. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    My Sky+ v2 is sat on top shelf of open hi-fi racking and is silent, except for HD noise if ear is placed next to case.

Very quiet indeed. :)

Could it be to do with ventilation? Mine couldn't be more ventilated and doesn't need to use fan, versus one is a cupboard that gets hot and has fan on all the time?

StooMonster

15. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Stoomonster
    Mine at the moment is on the floor...pending a rack purchase:)
    It is well ventilated really and the fan is running all the time......in saying that I've just been and looked to see that there is a ventilation type set of holes in the bottom.
    Will move it off the carpet (Oooeeer!!) to see if that switches the fan off now!
    Back later...Andrew

16. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The fan should be temperature sensative, the HDD puts out a LOT of heat so the fan should only come on occasionally and probably only if the box is not well ventilated.

I have the 3100 (v2) box and bought it out of contract for 5.1 only, not PVR. The thing made a hell of a noise so I immediately pulled out the (red hot) hard drive and replaced it under the telly. The fan was still running, even after an hour of power off cool down.

This is clearly a fault with the temp sensor that cuts the fan in and out as my box runs totally cool without the hard drive and yet the fan will run all the time, even from cold. For the record, I pulled the plug on the fan as well as I gelt it was not needed without a hard drive in there.

So, my box runs silent and cool but with no PVR functions.

I will soon be moving this box to another room and getting Sky+ in my main room. I hope I don't have the same problems as with this one. I will probably replace the hot and noisy Maxtor 40Gb drive with a 2.5" 60Gb laptop drive which will make the box cooler and quieter and hopefully not need the fan.

If your fan runs 24/7 and the box is well ventilated, I suggest a fault is present and quite a common one by the sound of it.

17. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    mine makes no noise whatsoever

18. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Back again,
    After placing it on a flat surface overnight to allow better ventilation the fan is still running all the time!
    As posted by Steve I would have thought that it should be controlled by temperature sensor so will speak to Sky tomorrow to see what they say.
    Another issue I already have is that the existing magic eye we have will not work (or light the led) when connected up and I've already read on here that there are problems with the 9V co-ax out with the V2 boxes.
    After reading through the replies/comments on this post there definately is some differences in fan operation so would like to know the 'correct' working setup.

Andrew

19. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Andrewmellor

I'd suggest getting your box replaced.

I've had Sky+ installed about a month ago, and does not make any noise.

As for the "eye". Has it ever worked? If the light is not on the output might not have been turned on. To check press:

Services
    Select

The second outlet power supply should be set to on.

Failing that it could be that the aerial plug has not been crimped.

20. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi,

Just come off the phone from Sky and had it confirmed that the fan is controlled by temperature and should cycle on/off.

A replacement box is being delivered/fitted on Thursday.

regards..Andrew

21. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I reckon this is a common fault and explains why there a lot of 3100 boxes floating around. I reckon the one I bought had been returned because of this problem and shifted out into the open market, then flogged on Ebay hoping the buyer would not notice the fault.

As it happens it doesn't affect me as I have removed hard drive and fan but I bet there are a lot of people out there with fans whirring away 24/7.

22. philinman

philinman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Yes but when i changed my hdd from the maxtor the fan comes on less of the time because it runs cooler.
    You can touch the box and feel no heat :clap:

23. Bradmax57

Bradmax57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mines noisy after putting samsung spinpoint 160gb in, was fine for about 6 months then obviously the same as others after a upgrade fan is constantly on :mad: