1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is your centre speaker the same as your front Left / Right ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jim Robson, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately most manufacturers neglect to magnetically shield their entire range of speakers. If you have a projector (and place the screen high enough) this isn't a problem. It's also not a problem if the screen is designed so the sound actually goes through it whne the speaker is mounted behind. I'd easily have a third B&W 605 S2 as my centre speaker but, even in front of my 56" Toshiba, there would be a 7" x 9" part of the picture missing from the bottom centre of the screen! If I did the same with my 28" w/s set there would be a 9" wide section missing in the centre of the screen, from top to bottom! My B&W LCR6 S2 is the best compromise I can come up with. M&K do have the right idea but at a greater cost than most can afford.

Regards

Jim [​IMG]

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The latest greatest debate in Home Theatre concerns the all important centre channel. Its well known that the largest percentage of the soundtrack actually comes through the centre channel. Because of this fact, many people have gathered together speakers from the same manufacturer on the premise that because they have the same drivers on the front L/C/R channels they will therefore have a perfect front soundstage.
    In fact this is one of the greatest Untruths in HT today.
    While the majority of speaker manufacturers make a so called dedicated centre channel using the same drivers as the L/R this is far from ideal.
    Usually and nearly always, this dedicated centre channel speaker is, 1) Smaller (different internal volume, therefore totaly different tonal charecter) 2) Different shape (different soundwave behavear therefore again different tonality).
    This can be clearly heard by just sending pink noise through your amp to each speaker.
    The inconsistancy becomes glaringly obvious when someone is talking while walking across the front soundstage L/C/R. Horrendous!

Many years ago, I owned speakers from the Kef range. I had the Q35 as L/R and bought their Q95 centre channel speaker. It soon became obvious that this was far from ideal so I asked Kef (and a dealer) for a single Q35 for use as a centre channel. There reply, they only sell them in pairs. Needless to say I sold them imeadeatly. I had a pair of Q15's I was using as rear effects so I bought another two pairs and used three for the front soundstage. The difference was incredible.

Why dont manufacturers wake up to this FACT.
    The few that are actually aware of this have acheived near cult status.
    Case in point Miller and Kreisal (M&K). Have a look at the website www.mksound.com and you will see that right through their range, from the cheapest to the most expensive, the centre speakers are in fact (virtually) the same as their Left / Right.
    Needless to say, I saved my pennies and since the last couple of years use a full M&K set up. I have a 6.1 system ( 6.1 channels but I actually use two surround back speakers so seven plus 2 subs in total) with Denon A10SE.
    My advice for people to whom sound is important, take note of the above.
    Eric

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ...In fact this is one of the greatest Untruths in HT today.

Who claims that? In a perfect setup all speakers (including the center) are identical as you want it to be. That's the truth.
    However this is mostly not practical (at least I wouldn't like a floorstander in front of my TV) or not visible due to cost or other factors.
    Like you said, try bying a single speaker (funnily though speakers in Germany are always quoted as price per piece, but try to buy one only ...).

Therefore you need to compromise, hence the center speaker in the 'traditional' center speaker design, preferrably equipped with the same drivers (some manufactures do not even do that!).

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jim, Rob,
    Yes of course you cant put a large speaker on top of a TV. You can however put them under a projection screen.
    There are 3/4 models in the M&K range that CAN be placed on top of your TV. The 'C' prefix for centre, usually means that they are magneticaly sheilded.
    Regarding high M&K pricing, premier products are never cheap. If they were the best selling watches in the world would be Rolex not Seiko.
    Eric