1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is XP mode too good to record broadcast quality?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tdkhh, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Tdkhh

Tdkhh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Panny e85 and was wondering if the XP mode is overkill when recording from tv or digital box?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Some people will say 'yes' to that given the low bitrates our broadcasters (particularly Sky) use. However the bottom line is that yours (and all other) DVD Recorders recording an analogue picture - not the digital stream. Thus the higher the bitrate the less artifacts your going to have.

That said SP (2hr mode) captures around 95% of the detail of a broadcast IMHO. It is on things like wispy Smoke or Fog or heavy rain when XP mode shows an improvement over SP. Generally speaking I have found the difference is slightly more noticeable on Freeview broadcast BBC channels - presumably because of the better quality broadcasts.

As always it is the capacity over quality question as to which mode you use.

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have the hs2 with a smaller hdd, yet I will always use XP for anything I intend to archive as this gives me the best quality.
    Anything I just want to watch and delete for timeshifting, i use sp, except for the occasional classic B&W movie where I might go to LP, as it could be on the hdd for several days until I get around to watching it. I can't realy notice much difference between boadcast and sp quality.

4. Tdkhh

Tdkhh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated.
    I'm gonna play around with this some more, but so far have no complaints about the player!

cheers