Is xbox one ok for music streaming

joner7777

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have always used a xbox one x with Spotify through a Marantz Sr 7011 avr and KEF Reference speakers.
Thing is, would I notice much difference if I bought a streaming device considering my ears are 65 .
I am very impressed with the sound quality from Spotify, is a xbox a good way of processing it compared with a dedicated device.
I spend a lot of time listening to old and new music.
A little nieve here but would like advice from experts from here.
Thanks

If you like the sound of it, that's all that's important..it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, your ears, your money etc.

I have always used a xbox one x with Spotify through a Marantz Sr 7011 avr and KEF Reference speakers.
Thing is, would I notice much difference if I bought a streaming device considering my ears are 65 .
I am very impressed with the sound quality from Spotify, is a xbox a good way of processing it compared with a dedicated device.
Thanks
If you are happy with what you've got, then stick with it. The fact that you're using Spotify suggests you're ok with a typical sound quality and don't desire anything exceptional. Great! Don't start down the rabbit hole. The KEF Reference are capable of substantially more than they're giving, but if it aint broke, don't fix it.

I use an apple tv device, usefull in a 100 ways.

Tidal cd quality is now £10/month after free trial.

Great music videos and surround music. :)

Thanks
Not sure about expert (more a person that bothers to read specifications & user manuals - boring I know), but at least I've spotted (pun intended) that your Marantz SR 7011 AVR natively supports Spotify Connect. So absolutely no need for a separate streamer, given that you already have a 'dedicated device' built-in.

Now you'll be able to find out whether the Xbox One doing the processing makes any difference, for free - an early Christmas present!

Last edited:
Bit daft to use loud and powerful unit just for media streaming, get something like new design to squeezebox

Yep, certainly would be quiet & powerless to not use the AVR and instead use a Squeezebox streamer (assuming you managed to botch some way of connecting speakers to the Squeezebox).

Does this 'new design' of Squeezebox also come without an amp?

Presumably, you are also proposing the OP get some new speakers, as the existing Kef ones are attached to the AVR.

Yep, certainly would be quiet & powerless to not use the AVR and instead use a Squeezebox streamer (assuming you managed to botch some way of connecting speakers to the Squeezebox).

Does this 'new design' of Squeezebox also come without an amp?

Presumably, you are also proposing the OP get some new speakers, as the existing Kef ones are attached to the AVR.

If you're trying to be smart at least be. Your post doesn't make sense and clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

Xbox whirring away when passive proper media streamer is available?

Just use meda streamer connected into the marantz.

The marantz probably has built in media streaming but I've found them basic and clunky.

How is the Spotify app controlling Spotify's own designed Spotify Connect player in the AVR clunky?

If you're trying to be smart at least be. Your post doesn't make sense and clearly you don't know what you're talking about.
We have a winner for the 2021 AVF "lack of self awareness" award.

You bounce around the forums spouting your own particular brand of uninformed nonsense, and then have the audacity to claim someone else doesn't know what they are talking about!

🤣🤣

How is the Spotify app controlling Spotify's own designed Spotify Connect player in the AVR clunky?

Like I said I generally dislike the audio streaming of avrs I prefer seperate box

For one thing I can change input whilst the box is still playing then change back without music source stopping. Say if I need to do something on another source for a bit.

Like I said I generally dislike the audio streaming of avrs I prefer seperate box
Last time we interacted you said you had never owned any AVRs... so when have you had a chance to use their audio streaming? What gear have you actually used? What was there to dislike about what you have actually used?

Last time we interacted you said you had never owned any AVRs... so when have you had a chance to use their audio streaming? What gear have you actually used? What was there to dislike about what you have actually used?

I've owned avr and the audio playback is clunky.

Bit daft to use loud and powerful unit just for media streaming, get something like new design to squeezebox
I use the avr for Atmos cinema listening as well.
Just sometimes it's nice to turn off all the loud action and listen to nice music as well.

Not sure about expert (more a person that bothers to read specifications & user manuals - boring I know), but at least I've spotted (pun intended) that your Marantz SR 7011 AVR natively supports Spotify Connect. So absolutely no need for a separate streamer, given that you already have a 'dedicated device' built-in.

Now you'll be able to find out whether the Xbox One doing the processing makes any difference, for free - an early Christmas present!
I see, I forgot about that ! I will get on that now and see what it's like.
I use a Harmony elite remote so I can streamline down the inputs needed to use it compared to original remote.

I see, I forgot about that ! I will get on that now and see what it's like.
I use a Harmony elite remote so I can streamline down the inputs needed to use it compared to original remote.
Unfortunately, you can't use the AVR's display & IR remote control since its Spotify Connect player can only be controlled by the Spotify app running on a device connected to the same network as the AVR is, eg, on a smartphone, tablet, iPad, computer, etc (presumably, you have got the AVR connected either by wire or WiFi to your home network).

The AVR's Spotify Connect player should be available to be selected as the output device on the Spotify app. You don't have to keep the Spotify app running once you start the playback of your playlist as the AVR's Spotify Connect player fetches the tracks directly from Spotify's online server. So you can even switch off the phone/tablet/computer running the Spotify app and the AVR will carry on playing the Spotify tracks until the end of the playlist.

I don't own an XBox, but it might be possible that the Spotify app on that also supports Spotify Connect like the other device versions of the Spotify app do - can someone please confirm this?

Last edited:
Yes , thanks, i sorted it out last night.
I did find out though that the sound quality for some reason was hopeless when using the app from my phone compared to the xbox app.
I thought it would have been the other way around as it would have been direct to the AVR , not routed through another device.
Maybe it is the speaker set up on the output for my xbox is more liking to my ears, using a Atmos set up.

Yes, that makes sense. Spotify's tracks are bog standard stereo, so it looks like you prefer the processed sound of them being remixed to 5.1/pseudo Atmos by the XBox.

Apparently, there is a workaround for the XBox to force it to play Spotify's tracks in stereo, if you want to experiment (posted on the Spotify Communuty forums):
Re: Xbox app outputting 5.1

Last edited:
Yes. I suppose the other way, I could experiment with the Spotify output through the avr so the direct output could be 9.1.
Then the direct avr might sound better than the xbox output.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom