1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is xbox composite, s-video or something else?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pipedream72, Jan 26, 2005.

1. pipedream72

pipedream72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to all this so please bear with me. I've just bought a Yamaha r-xv650 so that I can get surround sound for DVD's and gaming. I use my XBox for both.

My xbox is currently connected to an RGB Scart input on my TV using the standard AV cable. I think I'm right in saying that this cable incorporates audio (L + R) and composite video. So question 1 is:

Q1 - Can an RGB scart input somehow handle audio and also a composite video signal?

An alternative to the AV cable is the 'Advanced scart cable'. The xbox website describes this as 'connects the console to TVs equipped with a SCART input terminal and enables RGB video signals for improved video output'. For some reason I thought that this cable supported S-video, but either way my second and third questions are;

Q2 - How can the same output on the XBOX support different video signals? Does it detect the advanced cable and switch the video?

Q3 - If I get the advanced AV cable so that I can get the digital sound, what is the output video signal and which video in should I be connecting to on my amp?

To add to my confusion, the xbox hookup guide on the Monster Cables site, shows that you can have composite (I think?), S-video or COmponent video out of an xbox. This leads to my next question:

Q4 - Since I don't have component inputs on my TV, am I right in thinking that there is no point in using component between the xbox and the amp?

Finally, the manual for my amp suggests that I use the VIDEO AUX terminals on the front for my xbox. I don't really want to have cables hanging out so:

Q5 - Can just use one of the other sets of inputs on the rear to connect the xbox? Perhaps the DVD ones since I don't have a dedicated DVD player?

Thanks a lot for any advice. I'm slowly getting there trawling through all the excellent advice on the forum. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Steve.

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    Right , after that massive post :D , simple answer

As your TV does not have component in , Official MS Advanced Scart pack is the way to go.
    This will give you the best picture , and also toslink optical out to give you DD :smashin:
    Bet you wish you had posted ;

"I don't have "component in" .Whats the best way to connect my XBOX"

Have Fun
    John

3. pipedream72

pipedream72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the info. Trouble is that when I get into some thing new like AV stuff, I tend to get a bit anal about wanting to know how everything works so that I understand why one setup is better than another.

I think I've answered Q5 in my original post as the manual for my amp seems to suggest you can re-assign the inputs so I can just change the default VCR 2 input to be my XBOX input.

If anyone could have a bash at answering my other 4 questions just so that I can extend my own understanding (and maybe even help out someone else in the future) that would be great.

Cheers,

Steve.

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    Hi again , you would probably have got more response posting in the Console Forum :D .
    But as I'm here and Beer free :clown: tonight , I'll try to answer a bit more in depth

Input on the Telly ? Yes , I would have thought so .Try connecting a VCR by scart , they only output composite (unless it an Svhs deck)

Don't know how it does it .But the answer is yes , it does auto detect the cable used

Depends what cable you buy .You can get Svideo (i think) ,RGB Scart and Component . You have said your tv does not have Component in .So I would suggest getting the Advanced Scart Pack , plug that straight to the TV and only the optical into the amp

Yep :smashin:

Easier to answer if I/we knew what the rest of your kit was . But there is no reason why you can't plug it into another scart socket. Do you have another RGB one ?

All the best
    John

5. pipedream72

pipedream72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John, thanks for the info, that makes more sense now. Got to say that I'm surprised that an XBOX can handle multiple types of video signal including composite, RGB, s-video and component....

I've read a bunch of other threads about amps being able to output an RGB signal when they only have composite, s-video and component outs like mine does. Apparently some can support this via the component outs. I think I need to find out if I can get RGB coming out of my yamaha 650 and that will dictate whether I use the RGB in or the s-video in on my tele (I believe RGB is better than s-video?).

Thanks again,

Steve.

6. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    The RGB they upconvert to is Component RGB .Its a different standard to Scart RGB and as a result ,not interchangeable . :lesson:
    Your TV does not have component in , so your amp will not output a compatible signal .Stick with the MS Scart pack , you won't go far wrong :smashin:
    John

7. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    Have a read of this
    It will open your eyes a little wider :thumbsup:
    John

8. pipedream72

pipedream72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John, very interesting and has certainly helped to educate me a bit more. Thanks again for all the info. Off to buy my MS Scart pack tomorrow!

Cheers :smashin:

Steve