1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is X-fi the future of home audio?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pbryanw, May 13, 2005.

1. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Just reading about Creative's new wunderchip today:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/shopper/news/72616/creative-trumpets-the-xfi-xtreme-fidelity-audio-processor.html
    http://www.soundblaster.com/products/x-fi/technology/

And it looks like it has many features that could be interesting to the home audio enthusiast. Specifically its ability to "analyse frequencies and time elements of a file and add back frequencies that have been chopped out in the compression processes. " for mp3's, wma's and even DD/DTS soundtracks. And how "It also employs algorithms to sort out the multi-channel output from a simple stereo signal".

Anyway I'm sure you can read the information in the links. It all looks very interesting and promising though. Is it the future though???

2. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone can tell the future, I wouldn't mind the next rollover's numbers please. :D

Looks like quite a bit of kit! Definitely like the idea of getting better quality from mp3s' but doesn't Dolby Prologic II do the whole 'stereo into multichannel thing?'

Bigfatsi

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    And it still doesn't have support for 44.1KHz. It just has a very high quality sample rate conversion. Otherwise it looks really nice :)

4. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    "Apparently the chip analyses the audio to place the lead vocal centre stage and the backing in other channels. It also deals with three dimensional panning and can identify whether the sound should originate from rear or front speakers as well as from left or right."

Straight from the horses/pc pro's mouth. Does Prologic II do this? I don't know. It must be different to cmss 3d, which is the Audigy 2 equilavent of Prologic II, or else they wouldn't be trumpeting it methinks.

Anyway I'll be looking forward to the next installment of information which should be in 9 days time judging by the clock on the soundblaster.com web-site.

5. Elmer

Elmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
  6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498