1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Wireless Gaming from a PC in an Alternative room Possible?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Nabs, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I was thinking about hooking my pc to my downstairs display (presently through hifi to tv scart but eventually to lcd), via a wireless network.

What I wish to do is have the PC running the game upstairs and to watch the game, listen to the game and play the game from the downstairs room - is this possible?

2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    AFIK, you would need wires to do it (there may be mega bucks equipement to do it). Some Cat5 and converters, or a combination of the default wiring (VGA cable, USB & stereo).
    You can have a wireless keyboard and mouse, but the range isn't very far.
    For Video and Sound you really need to extend with some cables.
    I've run Cat5e everywhere, and can use USB devices, sound & video over them, to my PC.

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I think there would be some major latency problems with some games, for example first person shooter, the game would happen before you got a chance to react maybe.

If this is not a problem though, all you need are some pretty long leads, or some sort of wireless converter, will take in usb or what ever send it wirelessly and then have a box on the other end where you plug in your stuff that you'd want to pluged into the pc. As far as i know these don't exist but have a look for a wireless KVM with USB, that would be your best bet.

I wouldn't bet on the best/decent performance through wireless though, so wires snaking around the house would be the best bet, you want entender cables, probably usb repeaters.

There maybe a similar solution to the Wireless KVM as suggested above but using a single cat 5 cable, doubt it would provide enough bandwidth for (non encoded) video but would do for audio and input devices.

KVM stands for Keyboard Video Mouse and are generaly used to control multiple pcs using only one set of input/output devices, i.e only one desk, so a solution may be availible, as bussiness types may use them.