Question Is waiting for Microsofts VR Range worth it?

MindfulSat

Novice Member
Reaction score
Microsoft and its partners are releasing headsets soon.

They have better resolution than the rift and i was thinking they might be better and it wouldn't be advisable to purchase a Rift.

However theres limited information on them, what are your guys views?

The specific ones that looks interesting to me is the Lenovo and LG headsets.
The Rift is only 1080 x 1200 whereas these are 1,440 x 1,440.
I know one is definitely 110 FOV also.

LCD, not OLED, so it remains to be seen how good the motion is on these displays. The tracking is also markerless inside-out. Might be amazing or it might be rubbish (I suspect it will be passable, but with severe limitations, no chaperone/guardian etc). No controllers yet either, although they have been announced. Either way, they're not included in the price.

So other than the better resolution, I doubt it's going to be as good as the Rift or Vive, and probably cost roughly the same or more than a Rift overall if/when the controllers land. And there's no mention of OpenVR support yet either from Valve or MS as far as I know, so software availability might be an issue in the short term.

If you're not in a hurry to jump in, then wait and see what actually gets released. Microsoft have a habit of promising amazing hardware, and then releasing something disappointing.

Waiting for tech is a foolish venture. There is always something new coming.

My view: the Vive is the best Vr experience out there and nothing in sight is gonna topple it. However, that Oculus price cut cannot be ignored and those interested should be snapping one up!

LCD, not OLED, so it remains to be seen how good the motion is on these displays. The tracking is also markerless inside-out. Might be amazing or it might be rubbish (I suspect it will be passable, but with severe limitations, no chaperone/guardian etc). No controllers yet either, although they have been announced. Either way, they're not included in the price.

So other than the better resolution, I doubt it's going to be as good as the Rift or Vive, and probably cost roughly the same or more than a Rift overall if/when the controllers land. And there's no mention of OpenVR support yet either from Valve or MS as far as I know, so software availability might be an issue in the short term.

If you're not in a hurry to jump in, then wait and see what actually gets released. Microsoft have a habit of promising amazing hardware, and then releasing something disappointing.

Thank you, its good to hear from someone who knows some points that i may not as i haven't kept up with developments.

I did think they were OLED.
This from the LG Headset :)
"A single LG-built AMOLED panel with 1,440x1,280 resolution -- per eye -- at a smooth 90 hertz refresh rate, with a 110-degree field of view"

Im hopeful i guess your right and i might as well wait. I just hope theres not long or delays.

I did think they were OLED.
This from the LG Headset :)
"A single LG-built AMOLED panel with 1,440x1,280 resolution -- per eye -- at a smooth 90 hertz refresh rate, with a 110-degree field of view"

Im hopeful i guess your right and i might as well wait. I just hope theres not long or delays.
Ah, you're referring to the SteamVR 2.0 device that LG is releasing (a direct Vive competitor) that's supposed to be coming "soon" (could be tomorrow, could be a year from now...who knows?) They're not a Microsoft VR partner as far as I know. The el-cheapo MS VR headsets are all LCD-based.

I'm not hugely hopeful of the Microsoft HMDs - they'll be fine for rudimentary productivity tasks, but they'll be cutting too many corners for a great VR experience. As Nivek says (and also IMO), the Vive is currently top of the pile for VR but I'd be hesitant to pay £700+ for it at this stage when something slightly better (such as the LG) might drop soon. The Rift is a comparative bargain for the price.

Last edited:
Microsoft and its partners are releasing headsets soon.

They have better resolution than the rift and i was thinking they might be better and it wouldn't be advisable to purchase a Rift.

However theres limited information on them, what are your guys views?

The specific ones that looks interesting to me is the Lenovo and LG headsets.
The Rift is only 1080 x 1200 whereas these are 1,440 x 1,440.
I know one is definitely 110 FOV also.

i think they look interesting but i am concerned at how well the motion controllers will track and how robust inside out tracking will be. i spoke with someone in the industry who has tried them (on the oculus forum) and he says he is reticent to judge too soon as still highly in beta, but, whilst he says they are promising he agrees i am right to be concerned.

to be honest at the current £399 price it is hard to reccomend waiting imo..... like GPUs there is always something better on the horizon. once the MS HMDS come out there will be the LG "vive", once the LG vive is out there will be................... yada yada yada.

but right now with the rift offer what we have is a very good HMD - on a par with the vive imo if you use 3 sensors, slightly better in some areas, slightly weaker in others, with a good selection of software at a very good price. Even IF the MS headset does turn out to be better (i hope it does - and it may) imo the rift CV1 is good enough to last you until the true 2nd generation hmds come out.

also i would be surprised if the MS headsets with their tracking work perfect day 1. it took the rift a good few tries to get their motion controllers working properly, imo its only the last 3 months where they have worked as expected.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom