is Vista that bad?

londonguy1973

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ive been uhmming and ahhing about getting a laptop for quite a while now but with onyl a budget of £400 im not sure what to get. Anyway i had basically decided to get one from PC world tomorrow, (the toshiba L40-10x they are advertising at the moment), but reading around i cant seem to find a good word said about Vista. The only place i can find that still gives the option of XP is dell.co.uk but they seem to have a wait for delivery.

Is Vista that bad compared to xp? Or does anyone know where else i can get a half decent spec laptop with xp still on it for £400?

Hi ive been running vista 64bit on my pc since the day it came out. The first few months drivers were a bit hard to come by but most are redily avalible now and all my devices have fully working drivers. Ive found it to be very stable fast loading and easy to use, games run well on it cd and dvd burning seems just as fast and so does internet browsing. To be honest the people that moan about it would have moaned about xp for the 1st year of its life. hope this is of some help and if you have any questions just ask.

Vista is lightyears ahead of XP :S

The moaners are all just stuck in their ways because a few things are different and improved. I have vista ultimate, and I notice it seems to make better use of my processor and ram (not just because it consumes more resources, but all previous apps I've used seem faster).

The best part is the overall look. It blows even the pretty OSX out of the water.

I had XP from the start back in 2002, and everyone had the same complaints. The next windows version will of course recieve them too. It's just progress.

Definately upgrade. ;)

well looks a gd price for a average laptop, you wouldnt have any probs with vista on it as vista just uses the resources it has avalible 2 it, as soon as another aplication requires more ram etc vista will use less.

Cheers guys,

i was looking at this one http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/266893

ive heard vista is pretty needy of a powerful system. Is that correct? would this one be ok you think?

Been working in the pc industry for 19 years now and I would agree that Vista is a good system.............BUT! and its a big BUT! You do REALLY need 2gb Ram minimum to run it in any configuration.
Properly. The biggest thing we get asked AFTER a pc, base unit or laptop has been purchased is :mad:................please can you install an extra 1gb (on machines with the basic 1 GB memory when new) of ram to make it work better? And it does work, Much much better!

As for the "Moaners," as stated in a previous post, yes Vista has problems like XP had, but the driver issue with THOUSANDS of company's not having them or being ready has caused problems, Big problems!,Microsoft admit this themselves! But its not just Microsoft's fault.

Get Vista if you want, its good, but at least go for a computer or laptop with a minimum of 2GB installed already. That's my advice:D

icemanonline

PS you could get this with 2gb and 160Gb HDD for an extra £99 total £499 http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5613AWLMi_LX.AY50X.062/version-1.asp

Cheers

BUT! and its a big BUT! You do REALLY need 2gb Ram minimum to run it in any configuration.
Sorry disagree with that, I and many others can run Vista fine with 1GB - with all the fancy effects and everything.

If you have Aero turned off you could get away with 512MB RAM.

Sorry disagree with that, I and many others can run Vista fine with 1GB - with all the fancy effects and everything.

Good for you....we sell everyday and have done since it came on market and depending on make of PC 1 Gb is sometime NOT enough!!!

Cheers

icemanonline

Id have to agre im afraid, i tryed my system with 512mb of ram and it still ram fine didnt try games but not like your gona run game on a laptop.

Vista is lightyears ahead of XP :S

The moaners are all just stuck in their ways because a few things are different and improved. I have vista ultimate, and I notice it seems to make better use of my processor and ram (not just because it consumes more resources, but all previous apps I've used seem faster).

The best part is the overall look. It blows even the pretty OSX out of the water.

I had XP from the start back in 2002, and everyone had the same complaints. The next windows version will of course recieve them too. It's just progress.

Definately upgrade. ;)

I wholly disagree; I'd rather not have aero and the like hog my resources, but have the applications use my resources as intended. The difference in speed between the same hardware running Xp and Vista is astronomical - in Xp's favour in my experience on 3 different machines.

You've also totally overlooked the fact that a lot of applications are currently incompatible with vista.

To say moaners are just stuck in their ways implies you actually do very little with your pc, and that's the only reason why you've not had any problems :mad:

Get Vista 32 bit for now, and 64 bit in the future, imho.

I got Vista Ultimate 64bit installed. No problems so far.

I would stick with XP for now, XP has more mature drivers, and in gaming has better performance.

Depends on the hardware and the software, a lot of gear has Vista 32 drivers but not yet 64 (different kernel? but why are we talking about nuts?)

Been working in the pc industry for 19 years now and I would agree that Vista is a good system.............BUT! and its a big BUT! You do REALLY need 2gb Ram minimum to run it in any configuration.

You're right! 1GB is a minimum requirement for Vista. Open Outlook, IE with a few tabs and a couple of other apps and before you know it, that's your 1GB easily.

I find that XP needs 1GB so there's no way you'd get away with only 1GB running Vista.

GO FOR 2GB PEOPLE!!!

I wholly disagree; I'd rather not have aero and the like hog my resources, but have the applications use my resources as intended. The difference in speed between the same hardware running Xp and Vista is astronomical - in Xp's favour in my experience on 3 different machines.
Then disable Aero....

You've also totally overlooked the fact that a lot of applications are currently incompatible with vista.
Agreed, but that is the developers fault not Vistas (or Microsofts)

You're right! 1GB is a minimum requirement for Vista. Open Outlook, IE with a few tabs and a couple of other apps and before you know it, that's your 1GB easily.

I find that XP needs 1GB so there's no way you'd get away with only 1GB running Vista.

GO FOR 2GB PEOPLE!!!
I'm running Vista fine with 1gb ram. Never had any problems running out of ram. And I have WMP, WLM and WIE7 (with 5+ tabs) running fine.

FYI, I ran XP perfectly fine with 256 RAM for 2 yrs.

Then disable Aero....

Agreed, but that is the developers fault not Vistas (or Microsofts)

I have disabled it, thanks for your invaluable advice. The point I was making was that:
which needs extra resources to be wasted on the o/s.

As for your comment that it's the developers fault, I don't really care; I need productivity from my kit not some fancy looking toy that in reality is far from worth the money, or the resources it demands. In addition, Microsoft could have remained within existing standards set by the XP o/s, but didn't.

,,,and as for running XP on 256mb, easily possible, but then I somehow suspect you never had to push it :boring:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom