• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is vieracast worthwhile having?

music

Now that I have rejected buying a pioneer ...

which Panasonic model - is my new quest. MY question to all who have it - is vieracast worth it or not - or is it just a gimmick.

Can you get stuff like you tube on it?

makthedon

At the moment, I just get Youtube, Picasso and eurosport.

I'm not sure it's worth having right now, but don't know where they are going with it.

If it all takes off and there is lots of content added down the line in the future it may be worth having - I guess you are future proofing yourself a little if you do get it(??).

gbjbaanb

But apart from the limited internet stuff... doesn't it make streaming videos from your computer significantly easier? So I could buy a 1Tb HDD, burn all my DVDs to it and use it as a video jukebox type thing?

gbjbaanb

Well, I have the v10 now and frankly, Vieracast is a let down. I saw a woman video herself complaining about twitter, and am never going to use it again. There wasn't anything else on offer.

There was an news story about Channel 4 putting longer videos on there, but I think they'll just be too hard to locate in amongst all the narcissistic nonsense.

Maybe one day, but until then, I'd go for the G10 and a PS3 for the same price.

Ralphy1981

G10 doesn't have THX mode though ;)

speculatrix

Now that I have rejected buying a pioneer ...

which Panasonic model - is my new quest. MY question to all who have it - is vieracast worth it or not - or is it just a gimmick.

Can you get stuff like you tube on it?

there is youtube now and it works well. it doesn't seem to allow you to sign on, but it is pretty functional.

picasa, well, it's ok.

for me the winner is the DNLA services which is lumped in with viera cast but is something quite different IMHO.

NumbNutz

DLNA is great and means that I can stream movies etc from my home network without having to use my noisy Xbox 360 and for that, it's priceless!

As for Vieracast itself, in my opinion it's a gimmick. On UK sets there are only 6 things available with You Tube being the most fun, then Eurosport and Picasa. The other three:

A German new channel - for the UK, why?!
Bloomberg stocks - I work for a living so again why?!
The weather - I'll look out of my window!

It could be so much more and after alost a year of being in the market it's dissapointing that Panasonic haven't introduced new widgets for the sets.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom