1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Viera 500s really HD Ready

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by neilmcl, Mar 28, 2005.

1. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    There's been a lot of talk about the Panny Viera 500s being classed as "HD Ready" and whilst it's true they meet the requirements regarding input connections (HDMI) and display lines (720p/1080i), what puzzles me is the EICTA requirement for screen resolution of 1280x720 @ 50 and 60Hz doesn't match up. The Panny's are only 1024x768 (42", 50") and 1024x720 for the 37".

Does the fact the display can accept a video format of 1280x720 enough or does it have to display at that resolution to get the "HD Ready" approval, in which case the Panny will fail. Also what would be the implications of taking a 1280x720 format and displaying it at 1024x720, would there be much difference in PQ?

This is got me slighty concerned as I was originally looking at LCD HDTVs with resolutions of 1366x768 but decided to go for a larger screen size so it's really a toss up between a DLP or the new Vieras.

2. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The EICTA requirement isn't as you state if you check the PDF on there web site it has a choices box yes or no it isnt a requirement
    all HD Ready logo means is and i quote from the PDF

"A display device has to cover the following requirements to be awarded the logo “HD ready”:
    1. Display, display engine
    • The minimum native resolution of the display (e.g. LCD, PDP) or display
    engine (e.g. DLP) is 720 physical lines in wide aspect ratio.
    2. Video Interfaces
    • The display device accepts HD input via:
    o Analogue YPbPr1, and
    o DVI or HDMI
    • HD capable inputs accept the following HD video formats:
    o 1280x720 @ 50 and 60Hz progressive (“720p”), and
    o 1920x1080 @ 50 and 60Hz interlaced (“1080i”)
    • The DVI or HDMI input supports content protection (HDC"

If you note it says Accepts so yes the Pana is HD ready
    Logos DONT mean quality just because it has a badge on it" HD ready "or "THX "or such is a guide to its quality and level of MINIMUM laid out specification.
    I feel old but i remember Stereo TV sets with NICAM ready logos! yes you could buy and external NICAM box. how many of you still have one of them?
    Logos systems like this have a long history in the electrical industry and are mainly for marketing reasons.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    There is much more to image quality than amount of pixels. I wouldn't be too concerned with how much, if any, visible loss you'd get with 1024 v 1280...

Gordon

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,522
    Neilmcl

As you say it gets confusing - most of the Display manufacturers have production plants that were set up for producing Pixel arrays for the PC market; very few have (or will) convert to production lines that produce glass just for the Video market.

Until they do most screens will have a PC resolution (VGA, XGA, WXGA) and with in built video processing will accept and re-map Standard and now High Definition Video signals to match the pixel array used in any particular screen.

As Gordon says re-mapping 1280x720 to fit 1024x768 is not in itself a quality killer - though some video processors are much better at it than others!

Lots of folk are hoping Panasonic have done it correctly in the Viera PV500 series :)

Best regards

Joe

PS One correction - its 1366x768 for the 50" Viera PV 500; as per all of Panasonic's current 50" models.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I read this myself and was initially paraphrasing. In order for the display/display engine to be classed as "HD Ready" it not only must accept but support an HD Video format of 1280x720 (720p) and 1920x1080 (1080i). What do they mean by the word support. Surely you can't support those formats if your native resolution is only 1024x768. This is where my confusion creeps in.

Joe, you're of course right about the 50", I missed that one.

6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,569
    By supporting it, it can accept that resolution, but will downscale it to the max resolution of the screen.

7. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know those out side public displays which show public announcements or adverts with rubbish picture they have lots of pixels and the pictures poo.Gordon is right(as always dont you hate know it alls ;) ) picture quality has far more variables than pixel count ALONE .

Support means down scaling simple as that as Mal says