1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is video technology is going backwards.

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Garrett, Jan 25, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    Is technology going backwards with video recorders, 13 years ago I got a Panasonic NVF 70 HQ, although not top of the range it was up there. Some of the features I found useful were OTR to the minute, this was handy for say I had a 1hour 35min film taped in 3:4 and an other I wanted to keep on after it, when transmitted now in 9:16 I could start recording the film set the recording and leave it knowing I would not tape over the following film. What do I get on today’s video of the same make and position. I get OTR of increments 30, 60, 120, 180, 240.
    Also some thing can only be controlled on screen, lost is recording levels, programming need the set on also.
    The old machine also had the function of Simulcast, you could record the sound from one source and record vision and sound on the mono track from an other.
    Other things is the remote has less functions, (and some not even on the machine) no jog shuttle control, no facility to put a mark on the tape for going back to that point, no auto stop when the counter reaches zero, no time search.
    Yes we have S-VHS and Tape library but this is over 10 years and we can get these machines for around £200 yet going over £300 to£450 range there is not much an advance in specs. Chip technology has come on leaps and bounds over this period, so why cant some of these functions be incorporated today. You cannot even get them by paying more!

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Totally agree

The OTR on mine is exactly the same, V ANNOYING.
    And I used to be able to set the start & stop time on the OTR.

Whoever decided on OSD over LCD transmittable remotes wants shooting.

I remember What Video magazine used to moan about the lack of OSDs in the 90s so maybe they're to blame !

Everytime I need to set the timer on my VCR (JVC HRS 8850) I have to turn the TV on ???
    Why would should I have to do that?
    What if somebody is watching the TV? (Chances are, they are)
    Can it damage my RP TV, if I just turn on it on for less than a minute to set the timer and then turn it off again??

Once the timer is set I have to press about 4 buttons to exit and go into timer mode.

I personally think VCR timers have become more complicated and fiddly to program. You can't beat a good old transmittable LCD remote, it was so easy.

Why does EVERYTHING (on my VCR anyway) have to be done on screen?
    OK, I like the idea of being able to configure the two SCARTs, but TBC, picture sharpness, SVHS on/off, HI-Fi/Linear toggle should be on the VCR NOT on screen.

What happened to good old knobs and switches?

The SVHS pic quality, whilst still v good is not a patch on those models from the early 90s. (e.g Panasonic FS88...WOW)
    This has been the case on my past three models (mostly Panasonic)

The so called 'jog shuttle' on my new VCR is a waste of time. A pathetic little silver dial and there are no actaul rewind or ffwd buttons so you have to use this dial to perform these actions!!

Just glad I don't do editing anymore, it would be a nightmare on this so called 'edit deck'

Why does the S-Video in socket always have to be on the front?
    Not everyone uses it for a camcorder.
    My old FS88 had it on the back which was ideal for a two deck set up. No unsightly dangly wires sticking out of the front.

They really do cut corners on modern VCRs. They skimp on everything. They look and feel so cheap and tacky.

My JVC is so light, it feels like there's nothing in it!
    Compared to my old FS88 which was a weighty beast that oozed quality.

Also...

Where's my audio level sliders gone?
    Headphone socket?
    Mic Socket?
    A display that shows the tape counter AND the channel it's recording, NOT toggle between the two.

I know they have to try and keep the costs down but surely there's a limit on how many corners they can cut!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    Yes Kevo I also agree with you.
    Sugar no headphone socket and no level indicators, I once was round the back of the TV and slightly dislodged the sat to vid scat, then taped a program only thn I got nothing because of the lead, if there had been level indicators, I would have them not working and known something was wrong.
    Also I use the video to tape of the radio sometimes 2 hours at a time I now have to have unsightly leads trailing round the front. Also as you say no headphone socket to hear what’s coming through.

I also hate the silver tin boxes, which has become the fashion, all right some people like them but in black it disappears, but now we do not get a choice, you never see silver anywhere near the screens in a cinema.

4. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still using my NV F70 HQ!

It's slow on the old tape wrapping front when tape first inserted but it still works. I'm loathed to change it to anything else as I don't think the user friendly features you old boys mention are going to be present.

BTW are there any new VCR's with level meters and audio recording level sliders/dials? I doubt it.

I'll wait for recordable DVD to be cheaper, if I bother at all. Maybe TiVo :confused:

Pathfinder

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    On mine you can get the level meters up, yes on screen, luckily if you put them up does not show if done during a recording.
    My parents also have a Panasonic, all of us found the replay level lower on recorded malarial than the original, I have had to put both of them us to 4+ rather than the 0 factory setting.

6. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I don't think vcr technogy is getting worse, but just standing still. Manufactures say there's no profit in producing vcr's these days so I've read. But at least the machines are getting cheaper.

Buy the way, Garret, how do you include the picture to the left of your message? I can include a picture link with the message but not one at the messages left hand edge. Thanks.

:)

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    'on screen audio level meters' :eek:

I do sympathise with you.

Whatever next....no display on the VCR at all?
    Everything, clock channel, counter the whole lot OS !!!

No, I wouldn't say VCR technology has stood still, definatley BACKWARDS for the sake of keeping costs down.

Another useful thing I forgot to mention....

Manual index markers.
    Whatever happened to these?

As for recordable DVD....

Well it's still a few years off yet, before it will become the norm.
    And when it does, expect the same corners to be cut to keep it affordable.

Not impressed with the first gen decks AT ALL.

Mind you, remeber the first gen VCRs (if you're old enough!), piano keys and remote pause on a lead !

8. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes on reflection I suppose the technology is going backwards.

I did plan on editing my previous message to say this but my dreadful internet connection prevented me from doing so!

:mad:

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    Hi Paul

For the pic to the left, I cannot remember how I did it but try this.
    Get a picture you want, reduce it to an 8k tiff file. Once you have made an avatar name it. Click on User Cp at the top of the page on this site, goto Edit Options and go to bottom of the page there is the place to enter the avatar you have made and named. I think there is info there in avatar size(I think mine is the maximum .42cm *.42cm 300pixels/inch 8K Tiff file).
    I think there is info here as well on avatars!
    If this does not work get back to me.

Yes I’m having the same trouble today on all sites, and had trouble like you just had on this one. Could it be the 20p unlimited phone calls, I mentioned in General Chat.

PS that 2T's in Garrett

10. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Garrett. I've got it to work. Hopefully.

Sorry for borrowing the thread everyone.
    :blush:

11. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Going backwards - definately

My 1989 deck (Sony SL-HF950) is so much better than the newer decks

Pre jog shuttle and remote timer set.

But

Built like a brick outhouse