1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is VGA to component possible?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by lhough20, Apr 18, 2005.

1. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

I have a scaler that outputs via a 15pin VGA connector. Th enew panasonic plasma i'm getting only has scart or component connections. can I use a cable like this one:

15 PIN MALE (SVGA) TO 3 PHONO (2.0M)

High quality 15 pin SVGA male plug to three phono plugs. Gold plated connections on phonos.
    Application: RGsB or component video
    Length: 2m

(Taken from Keene electronics)

the scaler can output 480p,576p,720p and 1080i and the plasma can accept all these, although through the component connectors as normal.

will this work or do i need a converter of some sort? does the vga cable carry some extra signals that are not in the three phono connectors?

thankyou for any help.
    Lee

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    lhough20

Pretty much any HD15(VGA) to 3RCA cable will do the trick - though remember to set your Video Processor to Output 'YPbPr'.

We have some high quality BetterCables Silver Serpent HD15 to 3RCA 1m and 5m cables on offer in the Power Buy section.

Best regards

Joe

3. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply.
    the scaler outputs progressive signals or pc type signals such as XGA or SXGA but as the new plasma i'm getting can accept progressive i'll set it to output 720p or something like that!

I'll have a look at your cables.
    Thanks

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You can get VGA to 5 phono's quite cheap if you search around. Ebuyer used to do a cable for about £10 with 5 BNC's - they sold them for the VGA monitors that only accepted BNC inputs. Then you either snipped off the BNC's and fitted phono's, or got BNC<>phono adaptors from Maplin. I've also seen sites on the net that show you how to make your own - it's a simple wiring job.

5. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot.
    i was just wondering if the signal would work ok with the cable. if i set the scaler to output a progressive signal such as 720p and used a vga to component cable then this would be ok would it? :confused:

cheers
    Lee

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    lhough20

Assuming:

01. You set the ImageMAX to Output YPbPr.
    02. Your Plasma is YPbPr compatible.
    03. You set the ImageMAX to Output a line rate and frequency your Display is compatible with.

Then pretty much any HD15(VGA) to 3RCA or 5RCA cable will do the trick - if its a 5RCA cable use the Red, Green and Blue connectors only.

All of this assumes your ImageMAX processor is better than your NEW Display at processing your source signals - this may be worth testing before you fix the cables.

Best regards

Joe

7. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank a lot i'll test both ways before setting it up properly.