1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Vertical Banding really an issue on the Panny projectors including the AE700?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calvinhobbes, Sep 24, 2004.

1. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

There doesn't seem to be a consensus on how big an issue Vertical Banding is on the Panny projectors. Is it really a problem, and will the AE700 improve on it? As far as I can see, that is the only reason not to buy the AE700 apart from possibly the variable fan issue?

Cheers

2. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gather it's a feature of the LCD panels themselves, so I guess the question is does the AE700 use the same LCD panel as the 500? Don't know the answer myself.

3. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I don't see any on my 500.

4. funkmonkey

funkmonkey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It varies from machine to machine with all projectors featuring epsons D4 panels, which include the following machines:

Sanyo Z2 & Z3
    Panasonic AE500 & 700
    Hitachi TX100
    Epson 200 & 500

I've only just bought a TX100, today actually. And I can see a very slight banding on uniform areas of grey. I did not see much on the demo TX100 but did see worse on the AE500 and virtually none on the Z2, all of which were demoed before I chose the TX100.

The only machine that I saw that had absolutely none was the Sony HS20 but I understand that this machine uses Sonys' own panels.

VB can also be lessened using setup options offered by a few machines such as the Epsons.