• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is V+ picture quality better than standard cable?

gearaddict

Standard Member
Hi - first post, so go easy :)

I've just bought a Panasonic LCD (TXL32G10B) - it's full HD and 100Hz. Looks fantastic with DVDs on my Xbox360 (via HDMI), but the normal telly is really quite poor compared to my old Sony Trinitron CRT (wish I'd kept it instead of letting them take it away!). Analogue is the worst, followed by DVB and then Virgin cable. I just have the standard Virgin Cable via scart and I'm wondering if I get the V+ box and use HDMI will I get a better picture?

I'm quite surprised how rubbish it looks tbh - why does analogue tv look great on my old CRT telly but completely rubbish on the LCD? I don't really understand that.

Last edited:

Roggster

Hi - first post, so go easy :)

I've just bought a Panasonic LCD (TXL32G10B) - it's full HD and 100Hz. Looks fantastic with DVDs on my Xbox360 (via HDMI), but the normal telly is really quite poor compared to my old Sony Trinitron CRT (wish I'd kept it instead of letting them take it away!). Analogue is the worst, followed by DVB and then Virgin cable. I just have the standard Virgin Cable via scart and I'm wondering if I get the V+ box and use HDMI will I get a better picture?

I'm quite surprised how rubbish it looks tbh - why does analogue tv look great on my old CRT telly but completely rubbish on the LCD? I don't really understand that.

Hi gearaddict, the answer is most definately YES.
If you use the HDMI output (which you will on your TV) the picture is fantastic.
HD is crisp and clear, SD is upscaled better than I've seen anywhere.
Plus, upscaling aside, just the fact you will use the HDMI ouput is so much better than nasty scart....

mike7

Distinguished Member
I agree strongly with Roggster. Upscaling on the SA V+ box is excellent (with my Sony W4000). I assume the performance is equally good with the Samsung V+ boxes which Virgin are now starting to install. Has anyone made the comparison? I know the new boxes work a little faster, but I would not want to give up the picture performance of my 3 year old SA.

gearaddict

Standard Member
Thanks guys - looks like the V+ box is the way to go. I phoned them up last week and asked what it would cost and they said £99 as a straight swap with my existing box and if I wanted to keep my existing box it would be £75 and £5 monthly.

BUT - when I looked on the website it said if you have the XL TV package (which I do) it is £75 and no monthly increase...

It wouldn't be the first time Virgin had made a mistake and overcharged me for something, so I better make sure they charge me the right price!

Peter Lanky

Thanks guys - looks like the V+ box is the way to go. I phoned them up last week and asked what it would cost and they said £99 as a straight swap with my existing box and if I wanted to keep my existing box it would be £75 and £5 monthly.

BUT - when I looked on the website it said if you have the XL TV package (which I do) it is £75 and no monthly increase...

It wouldn't be the first time Virgin had made a mistake and overcharged me for something, so I better make sure they charge me the right price!

I've had a V+ (Samsung) box installed last week. I had threatened to leave. They offered to upgrade me from TV-L, BB-M, Phone-M to TV-XL, BB-L, Phone-M, V+ box and wireless router for an extra £7 per month plus one-off of £49, so push them a bit.

gearaddict

Standard Member
I've had a V+ (Samsung) box installed last week. I had threatened to leave. They offered to upgrade me from TV-L, BB-M, Phone-M to TV-XL, BB-L, Phone-M, V+ box and wireless router for an extra £7 per month plus one-off of £49, so push them a bit.

I did the same thing! tbh I was getting a bit hacked off with On Demand never working and Sky are doing their HD box for 49 atm...so I had been thinking about moving over anyway...

...ended up with them knocking 2 quid per month off my bill and adding in talk unlimited international and talk mobile (which is where most of our bill comes from) - and giving me the V+ box for 49! It's getting installed this Sunday.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom