Is V+ Box preventing TV audio-out signal to my analogue stereo system?

SaladDodger

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a mix of non-HMDI CRT stereo TV, a pro logic surround system, and an up to date Virgin digital V+ box. Since the terrestrial broadcasts switched over to 100% digital I've never used my pro logic surround system. But after reading on here, I thought it would be possible to at least get better audio through the surround speakers albeit only in stereo. So I purchased some RCA phono audio interconnects and from the twin audio-out sockets at the back of the TV, I ran the interconnects to my non-digital receiver/amplifier hoping to get stereo through the surround speakers - but not a peep has emerged.

Is this because the V+ box is digital, and therefore preventing me getting a useful signal from the audio-outs at the rear of the TV? The V+ box is connected to the TV via a scart. Had the V+ box for some years now, generally no problems (well, rarely).

So, is it possible to get a stereo signal to my old fashioned stereo receiver? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Virgin V+ Box (XL package)

29" Sony Trinitron 3:4 CRT TV

Yamaha RX-V590RDS Pro Logic Receiver

Cheapo Bootsale Alba DVD player

Cambridge CD4SE CD player

Dual 505-2 record player

B&W DM601 speakers
B&W CC6 centre speaker
Paradigm PS-1000 active sub

Apart from the V+ box it's all o - l - d equipment (mid 90's)

Last edited:
I cannot see any reason why the V+box should prevent the audio out sockets of the TV from working. I'm assuming that they worked when you were able to receive analogue (off the aerial tv). Since Virgin boxes don't have any provision for non-digital sound connections you could use a SCART lead with RCA phono lead and plug the audio ones into your amp. It has worked for me in the past.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/scart-plug-to-scart-plug-plus-4-phono-plugs-13395

Last edited:
I'm with Mike on this. There is no reason that should not work. As far as I can remember, we set up my parent's system in the same way and it works fine.

You could try putting the RCA outs directly from your V+ into your amp and not the TV. See if that works.

Just a quick acknowledgement thanks for the advice, but it's still a no-go.

There are no RCA outs on the back of the V+ box Carl, only digital/optical outs. And my pro logic sound system has analogue-only inputs.

Changing to a hi-fi system with digital inputs appears the the only upgrade as I am considering junking the pro logic at some point and going back to 2 channel stereo.

As Mike said originally, he could see no reason why the audio out sockets from the back of the TV should not work - that was my thinking also. So, clearly something's inoperative in my system. Might have to wait until I change to a 2 channel amplifier with digital inputs, if I can't figure out what's wrong with the TV's audio.

So I had a look. They have HDMI from each bit of kit (VM V+ and DVD) into the TV and then analogue (phono) out to the amp.

Thanks for that Carl. That confirms there is definitely something clicked 'off' somewhere on some menu; unless the new phono leads are faulty. Going to try the leads on the CD to amp - which works at present, to see that the leads aren't faulty. Never used the TV audio input on the amplifier before, nor the audio outs on the back of the TV, so still don't know if one of those is inoperative. Used to get the TV audio to the amp via the aerial and VCR in the days before the analogue terrestrial TV signal switched to digital.

Will fiddle a little longer then it will be case of waiting until I switch to a new beautiful sounding 2 channel stereo amp with digital inputs taking a signal direct from one of the V+ box outs.

UPDATE:

Phew, at last - success!!! And an embarrassing admission - Guess what?

The audio was coming through all along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doooooh :blush: :blush:
Stop sniggering - in my other life forms I am considered as being of reasonable intelligence :p :laugh:

As chance would have it, every time I tried the audio-connects a news reader or studio presenter without an audience was speaking, and as my Surround system was set to Pro Logic, only the centre speaker was activated, leading me to believe that only the TV's speakers were working. As the V+ box handset controlled the TV's volume, the TV's own speakers were always on in addition, regardless, making it difficult to realise that the centre speaker had been activated. Fishing out the TV's original handset allowed me to click the 'mute' button and this time the TV volume was off, whilst sound from the surround system remained. (Clicking 'mute' on the V+ box handset killed all audio regardless).

A quick flick through stereo to full 5.1 Pro Logic and the speakers all reacted accordingly when I flicked channels to find a film or music channel. And to think I've never listened to Pro Logic surround since terrestrial TV went all digital, (how many years has that been?) Erroneously thinking that digital broadcasts wouldn't be playable through my analogue system because it wasn't DTS (it wouldn't, but of course I now know original pro logic is through the red & white phono outlets at the rear of the TV).

But will still revert to 2 channel stereo shortly, probably the Harman Kardon HK3490 as I miss the true hi fi audio when playing my LP's and some CD's. (Heavy bass sections on some CD's tend to bang like an explosion through the surround system, whilst say non-bangy drums orchestral John Barry type CD's play wonderfully through the surround system)

Thanks for the advice and help, all is well now; happy as Larry :) :) :) - RESULT! :clap:

Last edited:
I wonder if someone can help with a similar problem. I have just bought a Samsung 40" LCD TV and connected it to my V+ box and my Philips Surround sound system. They surround sound works fine with a DVD, but I cannot get it to work with the TV. Where have I gone wrong? I have HDMI from V+ box to the TV and a scart from the TV to the surround sound.

Could you tell us what model the Philips surround system is. If it is a combined amp and DVD player it might be a non starter as such units frequently do not have the flexibility to accomodate external sound sources.
Your source of digital surround will come from the V+ not the TV.

Last edited:
Could you tell us what model the Philips surround system is. If it is a combined amp and DVD player it might be a non starter as such units frequently do not have the flexibility to accomodate external sound sources.
Your source of digital surround will come from the V+ not the TV.

Hi Mike

It's a Philips HTS3164 home theatre system.

What I don't understand is I can get surround sound when I play a DVD, but not when I watch the TV.

Your Philips surround system is designed to work with the DVD player. It gives a surround output when playing a DVD only. In order to have audio playing from a V+ there needs to be a direct connection from the cable box into an amplifier. On current V+ boxes this is an optical or HDMI connection. I suspect your Philips surround has no such input connection and therefore is not suitable for what you require.

This is quite a common problem with 'all-in-one' systems. They only deal with audio from their built in player. Nothing is 'fed' to them from the TV via the SCART lead either.

Update: I have now located the manual for your Philips unit and can confirm that it has no provision for dealing with Dolby Digital from external sources, such as your V+ box. It does appear to have a stereo input (red/white sockets) which can be connected to a V+ using a special adapter (depends on which box you have), but this will only give a stereo output through the Philips system or, possibly a pseudo-surround effect. It does NOT enable you to receive the full benefit of Dolby Digital Surround when it is broadcast.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom