1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is using a sub with floorstanders worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by julie sinar, Mar 13, 2003.

1. julie sinar

julie sinar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading my current set up, and was thinking of adding a subwoofer. I currently have a Pioneer VSA-E06 amp, Pioneer 656A DVD player and am using Tannoy 633 floorstanding speakers for my front left and right channels. I have the amp set to large for the Tannoys.

The overall sound is pretty good, they seem to go quite low and sound quite weighty but I think perhaps I am missing out by not having a dedicated subwoofer. I’d appreciate anybody’s comments as whether I should hear an improvement using a sub. My room is only 12ft X 12ft and my house is a mid terrace so I can’t have the sound too loud.

Given a budget of no more than around £350 I’d be looking at something like the Velodyne VX10 or CHT 10 or REL Quake.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Julie

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aye. My mains go down to 36hz. Adding a subwoofer helps alot, the mains cannot reproduce what my subwoofer does.

Don't bother with the Quake. I heard it going- pretty awful. One noted and boomy.

I would advise even if you haven't got a subwoofer setting the subwoofer to ON as I've used Kef Q55's with subwoofer to off and noticed the Kef drivers almost inverting on heavy action sequences (Titan AE etc). Most likely damge the speakers. Switching subwoofer on reduced the bass output- missing very low LF- but better than damaging the main speakers.

3. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obtaining a good sub is definitely worth the money. I have KEF Reference 104:2's as my main speakers and to be honest was happy with my set up....so much so that I didn't fancy splashing out on a decent sub. Then I happened to come across an ad for a KEF30B only a few weeks old at under half price (this was a good couple of years ago now), and couldn't refuse. I have to say that even with the quality of the 104:2's the difference was incredible. Now I'm keeping my eye out for a second 30B!!
    Go for it. Good luck!

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You will notice a big difference even with the volume at sociable levels but the greatest improvement comes when the neighbours go out.

If you can fit in the CHT-10 it is an admirable sub otherwise you should look at a smaller sub

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Yes.

Next question?

6. Browner

Browner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have the Mission 782 floorstanders, thought they did a good job with the LFE..................then I got a sub :clap: :clap:

Like discovering 5.1 all over, you will want to watch your DVDs all again. :)

7. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Try and get to a dealer and arrange a demo, I did and decided NOT to buy a sub (REL Strata III) because it wasn't enough of an improvement for the money.

Since built my own, but more for fun and to complete the 5.1 experience, I'd still be reasonably happy without to be honest.

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Nicolas, is that you in the avatar ?
    Do you wear sandals ? :)

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That pic is from that kids TV show with early CG graphics- I used to watch it- fantastic!

10. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    My current avatar (picture) is the actor Hugo Myatt in-costume and in-character as Treguard the Dungeon Master in the truly excellent TV series "Knightmare".

If you never saw that it was a sort of children's gameshow. One competitor had to wear a helmet which rendered him almost blind - he could see things immediately in front of and below him. He then had to enter a chromakey studio. His three team-mates then had to guide him round an imaginary dungeon - watching on their screen they saw a real image of their team-mate and sometimes other people superimposed on hand-drawn or computer-generated backgrounds. There were riddles to be solved, characters to interact with, spells to be cast, objects to collect, and so on.

There have been mutterings recently that Knightmare's creators are working on new versions of the show using modern computer graphics. (The original ran in the mid 1980s to early 90s).

If you want to see what all the fuss is about, then they show old episodes of Knightmare on Challenge TV (channel 121 on Sky Digital) on Saturdays and Sundays.

I do, in fact, bear a certain physicial and vocal resemblance to Treguard :) and my acting style (in my am dram days) was similarly hammy!

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Nicolas,

12. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the KEF q50 frontspeakers. It's OK without a subwoofer...but once I connected a subwoofer to it. Areal cinema experience.

IMO a subwoofer is the best upgarde money can buy...like Browner says. A whole new experience!!

Jonathan...can you check your PM...I'd like some info on teh KEF 30B subwoofer.

13. julie sinar

julie sinar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Thanks to everyone who replied, I will definetly be getting myself a sub in the next couple of weeks :)