Is 'upscaling dvds' worth me messing around with Samsung again?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by TheDot, Jan 18, 2008.

1. TheDot

TheDot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hey guys, quick question, got a 60gb PS3 and Samsung 19" SM 940MW Lcd Tv Monitor. People have been reporting problems with this tv and ps3, as it has no HMDI port but does have DVI. But the ps3 wont work using HDMI>DVI as there is a problem with this models DVI (hdcp or something??).

After doing a bit of goolging, thread came up on official ps3 forums where people have had problems and found out that this problem with the model is only apparent in models made BEFORE May 2006- mine was made January 06.

So I rang em up and explained, they ensured me I would get a replacement and I told them I need one made after said date. Replacement turns up and its one made in Dec 05:mad::mad:

Id had enough of waiting so I just bought a component cable and the ps3 looks lovely running in HD 1080:)

Only thing is I heard that SD DVDs arent upscaled through component? This is a niggle but im not sure if its a big enough problem to go through the process of attempting to explain the problem to another (barely english speaking) member of Samsungs customer service.

My av setup isnt anything spectacular, just a nice bit of HD gaming and now nice looking bluray lol:D So im undecided, is there anything else that should sway me to give Samsungs replacement service another bash?

Cheers

2. stuart1976

stuart1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    I would give them a ring anyway just to get the HDMI-DVI issue sorted. If they are offering replacements then why not get one that will work properly.

As for the upscaling issue, not sure how much of a difference you will notice on a 19" screen but it would be nice to have the feature available.

The PS3 will not upscale SD DVD's through component cable.

3. Darth_terra

Darth_terra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +949
    I guess it depends on how you view upscaled material, i have to say on my LG it looks great for 99% of the DVD's and PS2 games in my collection, granted it's not going to be as good as a HD Bluray movie but it's much better than running it in SD, but that's my opinion based on what i have seen running on my setup, what looks good to one person may not to another, and it also depends on how well the TV /Monitor can handle upscaled material some do it better than others.

all i can suggest is maybe ask someone you know who has a PS3 running via HDMI and a similar spec TV/Monitor if you can see for yourself how dvd's look upscaled and then decide what to do from there.

4. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Can't you just check in the PS3 A/V settings whilst a DVD is running? Press Select and play around with the upscaling options (if they are there). If you notice a difference it is upscaling....