Is upgrading worth it?

seventhcosmos

Novice Member
My parents would like to upgrade from a 10 year old 47" 1080P tv, to a new 55" tv. They don't watch anything in 4K and I doubt they'll start to do so anytime soon. So given the fact that the majority of content they'll be watching will be 1080p or lower, are there any 55" tvs within £500 that would improve their hd sdr experience? Will they notice a big improvement if they purchase a tv with a va panel that has about 400 nits peak brightness? Their current tv has an ips panel, but I have no idea what the brightness is.

Thanks.

Dodgexander

Overall yes, non-4k content needs to be upscaled so the picture may be softer, especially lower quality TV channels. At normal viewing distances though its not usually a problem.

Things like blacks, colour, contrast will be better on a new TV. No need really to spend more than £300 unless the room is particularly bright.

seventhcosmos

Novice Member
So the content they watch mainly consists of news, drama series, movies and sports. They tend to watch content in vivid because it's the brightest mode, but as you know, the colours look disgusting. Standard and cinema mode are usually too dark for them, unless they're watching in the dark. Would a £500 va panel tv offer a significant increase in brightness over a £300 tv for non hdr content?

Dodgexander

It depends on the TV, some are more expensive without the extra brightness. Some do have around 500 nits, or even more.
Hisense U7Q will be the brightest without breaking the bank, Sony XH80/XH81 can also get to around 425, so an the Samsung Q60T.

Dodgexander

Any idea why the sony and samsung models you've mentioned are more expensive than the hisense u7q?
They make more profit with each sale compared to Chinese manufacturers. So you pay more for worse specs. That doesn't mean they won't be more suited to your parents usage though. Do your parents view the TV only head on, or at an angle?

seventhcosmos

Novice Member
We have two sofas in the main room. One that's directly in front of the TV where my parents sit, and another sofa that's to the left of the screen. I don't think they'd care too much about viewing angles. I have a Sony xg9505 which I view head on, but still find it impressive when I'm viewing from an angle.

The hisense model you've recommended is exactly within my budget, however, I did a bit of research and found out that the better model was selling for £500 a while back. Would it be worth waiting to see if the price goes down again?

vickster

Distinguished Member
We have two sofas in the main room. One that's directly in front of the TV where my parents sit, and another sofa that's to the left of the screen. I don't think they'd care too much about viewing angles. I have a Sony xg9505 which I view head on, but still find it impressive when I'm viewing from an angle.

The hisense model you've recommended is exactly within my budget, however, I did a bit of research and found out that the better model was selling for £500 a while back. Would it be worth waiting to see if the price goes down again?
Anything that has been heavily reduced will be last years model and likely in very short supply or sold out. It may or may not come down again.
Buy from Costco, you have 3 months no quibble returns, so could do so if anything better comes along (if you are a member and can be doing with the hassle that is)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom