Is upgrading from 2017 Shield to 2019 shield Pro worth it?

crazyfool92

Standard Member
I've got a 2017 Shield connected to my Denon 1300, so that I can can get losses audio to my 5.1 system. I mostly stream 1080p remuxes from my plex server. I have have just recently bought a LG C1 65", I've also had a Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 delivered this morning that I got for £161 from Curry's Ebay. I only bought this so that I could get Dolby Vision playback for UHD remuxes. But after a bit of research the shield only seems to play MEL and not FEL DV and it's not capable of playing the YouTube HDR codec (this doesn't bother me as much as I can use the LG YT app).

Is the difference in HDR10 vs DV worth the £161, I don't even get the advantage of having the new remote as I bought one separately for my 2017.

Basically, do you think I should return the unopened 2019 Pro and stick with the 2017 for the time being?

chenks

Suspended
neither the shields have the hardware to decode VP9 codec so that's why there is no youtube HDR.

if you are only playing UHD remuxes then there is probably no benefit.
if you also consume media from netflix, disney+ etc then you would get DV from them.

the 2019 model also has the AI upscaling, so you may benefit from having that.
the shield does not officially support profile 7 DV at all, so the fact that it partially works at all is deemed a "bonus".

crazyfool92

Standard Member
I think I'm just going to return it and wait it out. I'll only be losing DV support with Plex as I can just use the TV's natives apps for streaming any DV content.

I didn't actually know that it doesn't officially support DV.

chenks

Suspended
I didn't actually know that it doesn't officially support DV.

It does, via legitimate services.
DV from uhd rips is not a legitimate service though

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom