Is TV getting better than Movies

Gary D

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The amount of TV I watch (via DVD) is getting stupid. In recent years i've watched more TV than ever:

24, Battlestar Galatica, The Wire, The Sheild, Deadwood, CSI, Buffy, The X Files, Six Feet Under, Millenium, Firefly, Alias, The Soparnos, Dark Angel, Law and Order, Homicide, Boomtown and Band Of Brothers. Soon there will be the other CSI's, Lost, Rome and House to add to the groaning shelves. from what ive read on other threads even the 4400 might be worth another shot :) I'm also pretty sure that there are TV shows that have slipped through my fingers.

I find myself watching more and more inventive TV and less and less rubbish sequels and unnecessary remakes.

Thoughts? :)

Gary

Think you have a good point here. Looking back over the last decade or so of cinema the overall quality is definitely on the way down. OK there has been quite a few very good films, but the way that big name, big budget sequels and tie-ins dominate the market is destroying Hollywood. It seems that special effects rather than storyline is the most important thing now in cinema, but perhaps thats just the dumbing down of society in general. Looking at my DVD collection (and its not big) most of the films are older ones. IHMO any one who wants to add the likes of Elecktra and Daredevil to their collection needs their head read. But again only MY opinion.

But a lot of the programmes that you mention above do show clearly that there is more writing, directing, acting talent in TV compared to cinema.

Good topic Gary, I too have caught the series bug. I am addictd to many of the above series.

The good thing about these series is that they are only 40mins long so you can watch one if your short of time or 2-3 if you have more time. 24 is the most addictive for me :D

CSI is the next series on my hit list. :thumbsup:

Does anyone watch Navy NCIS or Numb3rs?

:D

Razor said:
CSI is the next series on my hit list. :thumbsup:

Does anyone watch Navy NCIS or Numb3rs?

:D

Dont start on CSI!! Run save yourself, superb but very addictive :D

i've not heard of the others, and i some ways i dont want too, if you know what i mean? :D Got any links?

Gary

Gary D said:
Dont start on CSI!! Run save yourself, superb but very addictive :D

i've not heard of the others, and i some ways i dont want too, if you know what i mean? :D Got any links?

Gary

Navy NCIS is a sister program to JAG . They are both on fox 270 on sky digital. I never really liked Jag (Judge advocate general) but NCIS is sort of like a lighter CSI/Cop show set in and around the Navy. It stars Mark harmon and David Mcallum of man from uncle fame.

check out this short promo from CBS network

I must admit to have been watching more TV than movies recently. I have a collection of over 600 dvds now these also include tv box sets of...

Battlestar both original and new versions.
All three seasons of original startrek.
all seasons of stargate sg1
only fools and horses.
cracker the complete series.
all ten seasons that are available of a touch of frost.

I have also really gotten in to
House MD
Boston legal.
CSI Miami.
Las vegas (for the mrs :D ).
I think I will be adding these to my collection.
I was also thinking of picking up some older tv series that now have box sets such as ...
The A-team.
Transformers.
Air wolf ect.

But I still find some time to watch movies when I can. I actually sat through Million dollar baby last night on DVD ( cant really see what all the fuss is about but thats for another thread :D ) I don't think there is a lack of good movies out there in modern hollywood, I just think there is not a lot of them around at the moment especially considering that it is coming up for school holiday summer blockbuster time.

Dave.

Dave-S said:
Navy NCIS is a sister program to JAG . They are both on fox 270 on sky digital. I never really liked Jag (Judge advocate general) but NCIS is sort of like a lighter CSI/Cop show set in and around the Navy. It stars Mark harmon and David Mcallum of man from uncle fame.

check out this short promo from CBS network

Dave :hiya:

Fantastic, someone else who watches Navy NCIS :clap: :clap: :clap:

There is a new series starting 9/20/2005 :thumbsup: I won't spoil it for anyone but the last episode of session 2 was a shocker :eek:

How does Navy NCIS compare to CSI? :confused:

A-Team and Airwolf brings back a few memories :rolleyes: :)

Razor said:
Dave :hiya:

Fantastic, someone else who watches Navy NCIS :clap: :clap: :clap:

There is a new series starting 9/20/2005 :thumbsup: I won't spoil it for anyone but the last episode of session 2 was a shocker :eek:

How does Navy NCIS compare to CSI? :confused:

A-Team and Airwolf brings back a few memories :rolleyes: :)

I would say that CSI is a lot more dramatic and slightly weighter than NCIS. Ncis also seesm to have a bit more humour about it as well.

Dave-S said:
I would say that CSI is a lot more dramatic and slightly weighter than NCIS. Ncis also seesm to have a bit more humour about it as well.

I am looking forward to watching CSI, I haven't heard a bad report yet. The first session is going to be ordered this weekend. Play.com has them so I guess I will be going there. :thumbsup:

Dave-S said:
Would agree with that - like both programmes but NCIS is defintely a lighter show.

As for movies compared to TV - I definitely watch TV more. Far too much to be honest :D but there's so many class programmes out there. And some very enjoyable lightweight ones too. Sky+ is without a doubt one of my best purchases and its recording every single night. I buy few DVD box sets - only usually when they're on offer or if like Tru Calling they have unseen episodes.

I enjoy films but due to their length have to be in the right frame of mind and its usually when I have a full evening to spare. There will always be room for both though.

Have to say I think its good that TV seems to be gaining an equal status (for some programmes) to film. It used to be that being a film actor was better than a tv one - do you reckon this is still the case??

Razor said:
The first session is going to be ordered this weekend. Play.com has them so I guess I will be going there. :thumbsup:

If you live near a Virgin Megastore - they have the first series for £12.99 each half. And Tescos is doing them at a cheap price at the moment as well (cant remember how much though)

Ive got soooo much TV series still to watch - 3 series of Babylon 5, the 3rd series of Millenium, series 2 of smallville & series 3 of CSI. And theres still loads i want to buy. Deadzone, The Pretender, Profiler(an excelent american series staring Ally Walker that was only shown on the NBC superchannel in England) and they have finally started releasing Macgyver on DVD as well (classic 80s tv) although the region 2 box set is about 45 quid while i can get the region 1 set for 15 quid - how can they get away with that.

Im just buying TV shows at the moment as quite frankly theres not many films being released that appeal to me (the exceptions recently were Napolean Dynamite & Buba Ho-Tep)

TV Rules - looking forward to Lost, the new series of Stargate SG1 & Atlantis, Battlestar Galactaca and many others - just wish more of the decent American series were shown on terestrial TV as i aint got satelite.

add The 4400 & Medium to the list

I forgot Nip/Tuck, State of Play, Scrubs and The Long Firm.

Gary

i agree with you on scrubs- excelent tv, but i never got into Nip/Tuck (too squemish)

Gary D said:
I forgot Nip/Tuck, State of Play, Scrubs and The Long Firm.

Gary
Have you watched Cold Case?

Its fab.... here

The second series is being reshown on Sky One at the moment. You've missed the first couple but ep 4 is being shown on th 28th @ 11pm. Judging by the shows you watch I think you might like it :smashin:

watch Veronica Mars :D great show! You'll probably have to download it though cos i have no idea if it's coming to uk tv any time soon!

smelly said:
Its fab.... here

The second series is being reshown on Sky One at the moment. You've missed the first couple but ep 4 is being shown on th 28th @ 11pm. Judging by the shows you watch I think you might like it :smashin:

thanks for the heads up smelly :smashin:

i dont have Sky (live by the motto - Love TV, hate Sky :D ) I'll add it my "DVD's to watch for list" :)

Gary

Is TV getting better than Movies

I guess it depends on what TV and what movies (surely you mean films)
IMO current Hollywood films are crap.
Current tv is, with very few exceptions, crap also.

I much prefer the tv and film of the past......................

DVD-RAM said:
I guess it depends on what TV and what movies (surely you mean films)
IMO current Hollywood films are crap.
Current tv is, with very few exceptions, crap also.

I much prefer the tv and film of the past......................

theres a LOT of exceptions. thats really the purpose of the thread, to find out if people think the quality of TV is on the rise as the quality of film dips.

you should have a look at some of the show mentioned, many are simply stunning entertainment. :smashin:

Gary

Battle said:
If you live near a Virgin Megastore - they have the first series for £12.99 each half. And Tescos is doing them at a cheap price at the moment as well (cant remember how much though)

Ive got soooo much TV series still to watch - 3 series of Babylon 5, the 3rd series of Millenium, series 2 of smallville & series 3 of CSI. And theres still loads i want to buy. Deadzone, The Pretender, Profiler(an excelent american series staring Ally Walker that was only shown on the NBC superchannel in England) and they have finally started releasing Macgyver on DVD as well (classic 80s tv) although the region 2 box set is about 45 quid while i can get the region 1 set for 15 quid - how can they get away with that.

Im just buying TV shows at the moment as quite frankly theres not many films being released that appeal to me (the exceptions recently were Napolean Dynamite & Buba Ho-Tep)

TV Rules - looking forward to Lost, the new series of Stargate SG1 & Atlantis, Battlestar Galactaca and many others - just wish more of the decent American series were shown on terestrial TV as i aint got satelite.

Cheers Battle :hiya:

I have a virgin near me :devil: I ment Mega store :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm off too check it out tomorrow.

Series are tops :clap: :clap: :clap: For me it all started with x-files.

Its also nice to see NCIS has a few fans. I have watched 1-2 a night since I found this series but now they are all gone :( If you havent seen this series wack it on your hit list. :lease:

I too have found myself watching more and more TV series en a little less films the last few years. But most films from the U.S. have been mediocre for a lot longer. But that also depends on what kind of films you like.

TV series I really watch every time:
CSI (just good fun,nice interaction of characters . Sometimes seems a bit repetitious.)

CSI NY (see CSI)(really don't like CSI Miami)

Lost (clichés now and then but further fun, surprising and occasionally weird. Good variety of characters.)

The 4400 (a little like Spielbergs Taken info )

The Inside (Dark and grim. Profiler meets dark and twisted CSI eps. info )

Numb3rs (light and fun, think it appeals to my nerdy side.info )

Smallville (There are times I really hate this show for it's predictable and very cliché/badly written stories. But I keep wanting to know how Luther and Clark Kent become enemies.)

The Dead Zone (Very likeable main characters and almost always entertaining stories.

Medium (Fun stories and believable (interaction of) main characters, fear it might get repetitious)info

Cold Case (already mentioned in earlier post, only started watching with beginning of 2nd season)

Veronica Mars (Nice serie of a high school girl with attitude on a mission) info

Tilt (first season only 9 eps. but a lot happened. set in Las Vegas and the (under)world of poker) info

currently also watching into the west new spielberg produced mini-serie. Sofar only watched the first 2 eps. Not great but not bad either. DL-ing last ep. at the moment.

Firefly, Pretender, Stargate,Futurama, Simpsons and South Park I only watch when it happens to be on and I've nothing else to do/see. Most times watch it when i'm behind my computer(small TV next to it).

Is the new Gallactica any good? I quit somewhere half 2nd season of StarTrek Enterprise, friend said it got better 3rd season but I didn't pick it up again.

Watched the pilot of prison break and think it can be an interresting show.

Noticed that watching these series mostly affected the watching of anime series.

Son of Shaft said:
I too have found myself watching more and more TV series en a little less films the last few years. But most films from the U.S. have been mediocre for a lot longer.

Thats part of the point i'm trying to make really, that on the whole US film output is very safe and riddled with sequels and remakes, yet TV thier tv shows seem to be getting better and better.

Son of Shaft said:
Is the new Gallactica any good?

YES!!!!!!!! Dave, would you like to fill the man in :D Battlestar Thread

Gary

Son of Shaft said:
Is the new Gallactica any good? I quit somewhere half 2nd season of StarTrek Enterprise, friend said it got better 3rd season but I didn't pick it up again.

If by any good do you mean the best show ever , ever , ever , ever , ever in the world ever bar none, then yes it is :D :rotfl: :smashin:

All the info you could want on the show right here,

Also check out the battlestar thread gary has linked to in his post. You might see a couple of bits of info from me on it as well :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom