Is TV Amplifier ready?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by KevinRussell, Aug 30, 2012.

1. KevinRussell

KevinRussell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have pretty much settled on this TV

TX-P50X50B

...and as it is going to be in a large(ish) room - 7.5M X 3.5M I would like to add a basic surround system.

Firstly, what should I be looking for in a TV in order to add a Surround sound system?
    Second, can someone point me to an inexpensive solution, I like the idea of the single "bar" style speaker to sit below the TV.

Cheers
    Kevin

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    There is nothing the TV needs to have to add a surround system i.e. an AV receiver. If you intend to use the internal tuner in the TV for viewing then you will need some form of audio output but pretty much all TVs will have either phono or optical output so this should not be an issue.
    What is your budget? If you want surround sound then I would steer clear of a soundbar as this will be no where near as good as an AV receiver and separate speakers.

3. KevinRussell

KevinRussell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PSM1

Thanks for the info, I have a budget of around £300. Are there many systems available around this figure?

Kevin

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Here would be a few options:

Yamaha YHT196 Black | 5.1 Package System inc Speakers excluding DVD Player | Richer Sounds

Pioneer HTP071 Black | 5.1 Package System inc Speakers excluding DVD Player | Richer Sounds

Onkyo AVX690 Black | 5.1 Package System inc Speakers excl DVD player | Richer Sounds

The Onkyo has the best receiver so would probably be the best option if you do not mind spending your full budget. The Pioneer (and Onkyo) has an active sub which makes upgrading/replacement in the future easier. The Yamaha is the cheapest but only has a passive sub which does make upgrading/replacement in the future a little more difficult.