1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Toshiba 46 dlp any good reviews please!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Widescreenx, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Widescreenx

Widescreenx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Want to buy the Tosh 46mw48 dlp but need to speak to someone who has one, will the hdmi link work with hdcp compliant situation with sky etc how good is picture? can anyone help? 1,500 is still alot of money to me!

2. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the 46WM48P, and with a good input signal the picture is fantastic - pinpoint sharp (probably one of the sharpest DLP's out there) and vibrant colours. However, it does suffer from a panning problem, whereby on a medium speed pan, it blurrs - which is quite annoying considering the quality of the picture on normal viewing - it just leaves you thinking of how much of a perfect set you'd have if it didn't blur.

I have been considering writing to Toshiba, but i really don't think there would be anything they can do to overcome the sitution, so apart from getting my money back, theres not a lot more that can be done, and if i were to get a refund, what else would i get for the same money. Although others will probably disagree, i actually like the look of the Tosh, and thats one of the reasons i purchased it, as the only other DLP i liked the look of was the Sammy 50, and that was 3K when i bought the Tosh. If you can live with the panning problem (probably about 20-30% of a film) then you will be rewarded by some stunning pictures for the price, i've never seen a rainbow on any DLP so thats not a problem for me.

I've reached the conclusion that there's no other screen out there at the price of the Tosh, which i like the look of, which has a 46" screen, HDCP compliant HDMI, and with good input signals produces a far superior picture than any Plasma can thats double the price of the Tosh, so all these things considered, i'll be sticking with the Tosh until a couple of years time when the technology has progressed a little further and then will upgrade - it'll be a far smaller amount to loose with the Tosh than some of the other models! :D

3. Widescreenx

Widescreenx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for your response being new at this can you explain what you mean by a panning problem? do you mean when a shot is panning within the movie? Where did you buy your set? and for how much?

4. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Widescreenx - check out these threads:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197328
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199888

Also there is a link to a review at the top of this forum:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5510

Type 46wm48 and/or blur in the search to see lots of threads.

The blur might not bother you, nor rainbows and soni is correct that the Toshiba offers the best balance of performance and price, and when its good its excellent - jaw dropping but when its bad in my experience it is equally shocking. It all depends upon your threshold for these things really and what you plan on watching i.e. mainly digital TV or DVD.

I fully recommend you demo the set in person with several of your favourite DVD's before you commit to buying. I think everyone on this forum will recommend an in person demo too.

Good Luck :)

Cheers
    KableMan

5. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes a demo is a must, because i'm new here too and quite frankly what i read here scares me, i expect a 2000 pound tv to be perfect in every way, after all this is the 21st century...but faults dont just vary from tv to tv, the degree of faults effects people in different ways..

even so, you do read of so many faults here and thus i find it a bit alarming :eek: :eek: to back up my suspicion, what i saw at currys scared me, i.e all the tvs looked ok; but the DLPs looked awfall, i was quite shocked when i saw them, i.e my 10 year old philips CRT, which is a knackered out old heap; looks miles better :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

so you definitely need to see a demo, set up correctly.

6. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Thats right, when a shot is panning within a movie, its sometimes just a little blurred, but other times it can be a right mess so bad that you can't make anything out. But it's kind of weird, because the example i've just given you is what its like even on a £500 Denon DVD Player, but i've just been watching Digital TV tonight, which had some panning of writing, and there was hardly any blurring at all, it wasn't that much different to my previous 28" Toshiba CRT.

I paid £1500.00 from Curry's at Greenwich, although i live near Maidstone in Kent. At the time i bought mine (early January) there was very little about, only the Sagem Axium (not HDCP HDMI and didn't like the look of) and 2K, the Sammy 50" (fully loaded) loved the look of but 3K, and not practical for my Amp, DVD Player, etc, etc, and the Tosh (fully loaded) and at £1500.00!. I also viewed the Pioneer HD Plasma (3K) with the same test disc i used on the Tosh (Spiderman 2 and Gladiator), and the picture looked terrible imho, the colours were drained big time compared with the Tosh. I can remember my Mrs commenting (and for a woman to notice the difference with a TV its got to be noticeable - no offence ladies) on the flowers outside the shop next to the Pizza joint. She said that the flowers were a lot more colourfull on the Tosh, than they were on the Plasma. And we even changed the colour settings - but they still wern't as vibrant as the Tosh.

As Kableman and Malso have said - a demo is a must. What others find acceptable (i.e., myself) you might not, and vice versa. But, if i was in the buying market again at this moment in time, i would do exactly the same. I would rather invest little in something pretty decent (although not perfect - but if you read the forums you will see not one of the current line up of DLP's are perfect - they've all got a problem of some sought), as the technology is going to explode big time over the next 18 months, and as soon as the all singing all dancing set arrives, which doesn't having panning blur, will play NTSC from a DVD player without juddering, doesn't overdo the greens, doesn't generate condensation markes on the screen, is HDCP HDMI, and probably then will have an even higher resolution, etc, etc, then i'll ditch the Tosh and upgrade - but for now i intend on using my money wisely! :smashin:

7. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with demos in Currys or Comets is the very poor TV feed used
    it's best to take along your own DVD player & cables & DVD's or make sure they do the demo with a decent DVD player & good cables .If the picture quality is still bad try adjusting the settings & turn off & on any noise controll they have.
    And check out the competition as well you might find you prefer the HD3 mirror array to the HD2+ .This forum is a good source of information if you read it carefully but in the end u have to rely on your own judgement.

8. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seriously dont see panning blur anymore, even last night watching eastenders not once did i notice it. I just think my eyes have adjusted as the first week i had the set i couldnt stand the blur. I also love the look of it and the only other set i like the look of is the samsung but it was to expensive when i got my tosh (in january)

9. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm over the moon with mine :thumbsup:

Connected to my Panny S97 (via HDMI) DVD's are awesome. The best Sky channels are great, PQ & SQ on Sky movies, News, Sky Sports and Disney are spot on.

I've friends with plasma and LCD panels, based on what I've seen of theirs I wouldn't swap!

Get down to an independant dealer (not Currys or Comet) and demo. They'll have it set up to show it's best qualities and features.

10. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'll 2nd that Schnipps! :smashin:

11. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Unlike rainbows I really don't think my eyes could ever get used to the blurs - its not something I can ever hope to ignore. The only time I don't see them is when they aren't there but they seem to be most of the time. EastEnders is the worst.

Maybe my set really is buggered - its going back anyhow and S&V are going to talk to Toshiba about it again so hopefully they will say its faulty.

Fingers crossed.

12. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good luck Kableman - hopefully they'll say its a fault and you'll accept a replacement which will be 100% perfect - then we'll all be pushing for replacements - as apart from that i would say the set is a 'Star'!!!

13. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    i love my set tooooo i wouldnt swap it for anything( :devil: except the new sony 70" beast)and as i work for sony i will be getting 1 at trade price which makes it even sweeter but for now the tosh is my mate :thumbsup:

14. earwig

earwig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I was in COSTCO Glasgow today and they have the Toshiba 46 and 52 on show with an RF analouge feed. Have to say both were better than I expected on an RF input, the 46 had the edge on the 52. For those interested they have a Samsung 50 on show, and stock to!

15. Widescreenx

Widescreenx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I sometimes find them to be a bit expensive

16. earwig

earwig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Widescreenx I was looking at the Samsung so did'nt note the Toshiba prices.

17. hedgehog

hedgehog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here you can find other reviews.
    Also it's from the 52" model and 480p...

18. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    They are quite competitive with these TV's. A tad under £1600 for the 46" and a tad over £2000 for the 52" last time I was in (Easter Monday). There was also some discussion (in the recent past) as to whether these qualified for Costco's standard 3 year warranty on electricals. TV's do, but Plasma and LCD panels don't. I'm not sure what the final conclusion was, but if it includes the 3 year warranty then it's up there with the cheapest available.

"TV Direct" in Bolton are advertising this weekend at £2299.99 (46")!!!!!!!!!!

That's some saving!!

19. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Get an RD65 and stop messing about with little DLP rear Pros :thumbsup:

20. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Razor, its for his lounge - not Wembley Arena :D I was actually at Wembley Arena last week, went to see Anastacia with the Mrs, and was thinking to myself that they could have done better by having the RD65's hanging from the ceiling instead of those wishy washy portable sets that they are currently using!

21. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should read the reviews on this site about DLP versus LCD &
    DLP versus plasma they rate the DLP to be inferior to both :suicide:

22. godzuki

godzuki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 46wm48 outta Costco, who beat any offer you'll see on the web.

at £1580 (including vat) you'll get:
    1) 3 years warranty (for sure!.. )
    2) tailor made stand included

I've been shopping around for a dlp TV for atleast 4 months... and was blown away by the toshiba. But don't just trust me, check it out for yourself.

23. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm hugely disappointed with my set. It feels like a step down from my tosh 42 RPTV in terms of quality. Also other features you would expect are missing. Silly little things like speed of remote response and teletext/tv split screen. It feels like an entry level set with a poor picture!!! Now when HD comes it may be a different proposition, but by the time HD is the norm, these sets will be a damn sight cheaper. Mine may go back to costco soon I think. Before this I auditioned the optima range and the picture is comparable to the tosh, but the lack of NTSC is an absolute joke on a set this price.

Also, all this hyperbole about a big screen showing imperfections is botox. I have a dedicated cinema room with an 8ft screen (source is a panny a700) and it is a relief and pleasure to use this for BOTH dvd and off air compared to the tosh, I can enjoy the material rather than be distracted by all the imperfections. I personally would wait for the next generation (and hopefully decent) DLP set.

24. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    CTID

I agree no NTSC on a display these days is criminal. The feild tester or who ever was responsible for this slipping through the net should be shot.

As for front projectors you just can beat it for impact. Nothing comes close. :)

25. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
  26. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Dont get the toshiba just look at the threads regarding it on here.

27. jrl

jrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i have just returned a tosh 46wm 48 as i felt the pq was very poor especialy 'faces'
    reminded me of Kriton [off red dwarf] static shots landscapes etc were fine, the qualty
    of the stand was dreadful i didnt feel it was that safe for a tv of that size and has been said already it took ages to change channel with the remote ,outside broadcast reports[news ect] were sometimes unwatchable due to the poor pq,and overall it somewhat reminded me of a cheap plastic portable tv finish wise! i previously had a samsung sp 46l3hx [dlp] which had none of these problems and was in my opinion far superior in every way i really regret sending that back ,due to a damaged screen surround[discovered on unpacking] and the fact that i was told i would have to wait until may for a replacement i now wish i had waited !, i dont wish to upset any tosh owners that are happy with their sets but can only report what i personally think having had the sammy for a month before getting the tosh i really could tell the difference ,i am now [unfortunatly] having to look at plasmas as my wife doesnt want another BIG tv in the house and i know after all this swapping about the next one will have to be the last !!!

28. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    jrl

Try the RD65, it isnt that big. You might have to sell a sofa but that would help with the cost of purchasing this set. ;)

29. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the Sam SP46L3HX and was beginning to wonder whether it was just me that thinks it is better than the Tosh. I had problems demoing them next to each other thus I couldn't really compare them side-by-side but even after I got it I went back to recheck the Tosh to confirm and am still glad with my purchase.

I would say someone like JRL should be taken even more seriously than the rest of us since he managed to check out both sets in the same environment.

30. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi pantages - I bought my Toshiba from S&V. Their service is excellent and they are very friendly however they are charging me £300 to return my Toshiba even though I contacted them after only four days to report "blurring" and excessive rainbow problems. Because Toshiba do not recognise the the blurring as a fault S&V are determined to charge me a restocking fee. Nice guys but read the small print.

Also I could never, in all honesty, recommend the 46WM48 to anyone else after my experiences with it.